55 Century Convertible project

buick5563

• 3 weeks later...

Hadn't planned on completely pulling the wagon's rear end, but the pinion bearing WAS making the sound, not the axle shaft that was obviously messed up. Got the brakes adjusted and was able to pick up Woody from school. So I took almost two weeks longer than planned...I had to rebuild a stinkin' diff.

Also, this should go in it's own thread but the brakes which I adjusted to the Shop Manual specs (14 clicks) the pedal went down farther than I was comfortable with. Willie had me take it down to more to around 8-9 and it stops great now. FYI.

Now I just need to give it a better tune up. The carb was adjusted WAY rich and I haven't messed with plugs, rotors or anything running-wise.

After that, it will be back to the convertible.

Now what in the Hell was I doing on that car?

post-32260-143138647966_thumb.jpg

post-32260-143138647976_thumb.jpg

Nice puddle of tranny fluid or somebody has blood in their urine...

Interesting analogy. Mary said buying a car off of eBay is like getting a pound puppy. They look nice and can end up being a good family member, but you can't know what their history is and why they were offloaded. The wagon hasn't bitten me (yet) but it may have been beaten and really needs love.

• 1 month later...

Before this thing falls completely off the first page...

I took my inner fenders and other under hood sheet metal to the powdercoater.

That is really the only update on the convertible.

Now back to the wagon. I drove it up to the North Texas chapter's fall show and blew three quarts of oil out. Not out of the engine, mind you, under the car and onto my wife's car who was playing the role of the chase car. It was about 200 miles each way so three quarts is a bit much. I also came up with a big list of other pesky items to do (like make the horn work...and the gas gauge, etc.).

Got out to the garage today and started taking the engine apart.

I knew that the oil pan was leaking and I suspected that the valley cover was clogged up, thus pressurizing the system. The valve cover gaskets were leaking too. It doesn't appear that the heads are leaking, but when I took the timing cover off I discovered that the chain was WAYYYYY stretched. Like at least a link too long, maybe more. Holy crap, no wonder I couldn't get this thing tuned properly. Ya know, If Old Tank tells you something you need to listen. Don't start with the carb, start with the ignition. The brakes still don't stop comfortably. I may have to actually rebuild the MC instead of trusting that it was actually rebuilt.

Don't you love ebay cars?

alltornup.jpg

Mike, sorry to hear you've had all this trouble. Daily drivers can be a real chore. If you have not yet pulled that timing chain off, is there a chance of posting a picture or two showing how yo determined the chain was stretched? I'm not doubting you at all, just interested in how you made that determination.

I really had no idea that the chain was stretched. Remember, I thought this engine was rebuilt. It runs VERY strong, it just leaked a lot. So I just started taking pieces off of the engine that looked oily :) .

This is what I found inside the timing chain. If it was less stretched, I wouldn't have noticed (possibly). The picture was hard to take but you should be able to smell what I'm stepping in.

Also note that I am merely applying pressure on one side of the chain (more slop on this side) with my ring finger.

post-32260-143138725089_thumb.jpg

They are definitely replacements. However, they are much more heavy duty (appearing) than the ones I pulled from the convertible. Everything lines up the same. Now I am second guessing myself. I recall these being much tighter than 1/2" movement between sprockets. I have a chain coming. These sprockets do appear to be reasonably new so I will wait. I also have green paint on the way. So much for funky rat rod. Great, another restored Buick . I need to put buckets in this one just to postpone the inevitable restoration.

Those "Might as wells" are a very strong force to be reckoned with eh?

I started with the notion that I was going to just fix'er up a bit and drive her for a while...well after a ceased engine I ended up down to the frame.

Here is a part of my Blog where it started for me...

Might as well.... - Blogs - 1954 Buick Highway....

Tearing in... - Blogs - 1954 Buick Highway...

Start driving it quick...or else you will be down to another bare frame again. ;)

I really had no idea that the chain was stretched. Remember, I thought this engine was rebuilt. It runs VERY strong, it just leaked a lot. So I just started taking pieces off of the engine that looked oily :) .

This is what I found inside the timing chain. If it was less stretched, I wouldn't have noticed (possibly). The picture was hard to take but you should be able to smell what I'm stepping in.

Also note that I am merely applying pressure on one side of the chain (more slop on this side) with my ring finger.

Thanks for the picture Mike. I would be interesting to see what the new chain looks like installed. Right now I'm trying to remember if I ever changed the chain on my 56 back in 1986 or so, when I had the timing chain cover off. I know I did not replace the gears but just can't recall if I changed the chain.

Here is a classic example of Bob's "might as wells".

Power steering reservoir was leaking as was the high pressure hose. Can't have that, can we?

OK, just gonna clean it up.

Dang, it looks so good, I want to use it on the convertible.

Also, why does the iphone always turn the pic sideways?

Lastly, I passed 20k views just before Adam passes 60k... ;)

post-32260-143138729982_thumb.jpg

I doubt they are supposed to be white, since it wouldn't add value (when originally built). I had a paint pen and figured I'd see what it looked like. I couldn't believe how nice it turned out. I did a similar thing a long time ago on my spark plug covers where the firing order was stamped.

'member too, the wagon will never be judged, so copy me at your own risk!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rob McDonald

"do nothing but repairs on this car. A Mexican blanket is all I am allowed to do for upholstery. No engine removal for green paint. No sticking better chrome pieces on. Nothing. I have been given a two year "drive only" requirement on this car."

In the words of a great American folk hero, "Shime, Shime, Shime". Gee honey, ya can't just change the oil without painting the engine and it may as well be the correct shade of bluey-green. Mexican blanket... hah! Bet there's an order working its way through SMS right now, for a certain "rich Nylon and supple Cordaveen"

Men! They're all alike.

post-59990-143138747004_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143138747019_thumb.jpg

post-59990-143138747022_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob McDonald
forgot blanky (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...