Hershey Highlights

Steve_Mack_CT

Following 1937HD Bob's post on Hershey goals, what were your highlights from this year's Fall Meet? Some of mine:

Cruised around the swapmeet Tuesday afternoon in Tom Laferriere's very nice '29 Packard - perfect start to a few days of fun!

Met 1937HD Bob over in the Chocolate field, a real nice guy and forum addict.

Also met West Peterson who was kind enough to show me the AC system on his well preserved and driven 1940 Packard.

Found some good stuff including a very rare, perfect 1939 Packard accy. guide, find of the meet for me, and while not cheap, I had never seen another one let alone in this shape.

Finally bought hubcaps! (If you know my car you know I was running around all summer in a restored car with hubcaps that look like they belong in the trash)

Helped a couple guys deal with the wind Wednesday; met with several CCR AACA guys including Mr. Buick John Shieb and made some great Packard contacts.

Saw some incredible cars from the Brass and Classic eras as well as some other cool cars.

Missed a few folks on my list (didn't print it but wanted to see Steve Braverman and a couple of others...) I will need to catch next year.

How's about breakfast move to Giant Center? Not a bad idea, but they did not put up any signs, I wonder if a lot of people did not even know? Well, that is minor it was a very well done meet and a memorable few days. Hope everyeone else fared well also!

Long story, so bear with me! Last year I found a camera that someone dropped near my spaces on the Orange Field. I posted on this web site about the camera, but got no answers. On the slight chance that I would run into the owner of the camera this year, I brought it with me. As I was parking my trailer Tuesday, who is the first person I see? The guy that lost the camera! When I gave it back to him, he was so happy he was about in tears. He had thought it was LONG gone , never to be seen again. WOW!!! Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

Now, I was looking for an NOS (or extremely good used) fron fender for my newly acquired 62 Dodge Dart. I not only found one, but sold enough stuff to pay for it! Talk about luck! Or was it Karma?

Anyway, Hershey was a blast! Can't wait for next year!!!!!

Guest Packards1

One of my highlights was finding a new original Packard Motor Car Company exhaust system for my 1956 Packard. It was in the tent directly behind mine. They even delivered it to me after the purchace.

Great thread Steve, nice to meet you at Hershey. While I was at Hershey something seamed to be missing, can't put my finger on it but everyone I talked to felt the same way, looking back it was a real good time. Bought a RAJO head for a Model T Ford, and have to find the funds for another T project that was offered to me. Met Nancy from Alaska and had a nice conversation on the collection she oversees. Covered all the flea market, bought everything I wanted, came home with money. I brought heavy rusty stuff and sold it. Car show had some great cars and I'll start a thread in the Judging section of the Forum tomorrow, my pick for National Awards winners at the Annual Meeting.

This was my 39th Hershey in 42 years and just as good as ever. No mud but fun anyway. In all those years there is always a car or two that always makes me Wow! We made a couple deals in the Car Corral, enjoyed the RM Auction what little of we we could since it started so early in the day and no way am I leaving the swap meet before 5. The Derry Township Fire Police clearly had drank the koolaid as they were their usual charming selves. I saw one guy have a complete total melt down in the middle of the street when a car failed to yield to his demands. I can't imagine a NYC cop having such a fit. But Hershey would not be Hershey without those guys. The wind on Wednesday was amazing, we didn't put our tent up until Thursday and then enjoyed the cool Fall weather from then on. The tiny bit of rain was nothing more. Our Car Corral spaces face the path the cars take to the car show on Sunday and the parade was great. In the evening we hit a couple of our usual stops like the Hummelstown Hotel and the Union Canal House for dinner and it was wonderful both places with lots of old friends in and out. In spite of the cost the Hershey Lodge was as nice as ever. Hopefully Hershey will never change too much and we will be attending for another 39 years.

Rumor has it that they cited a 03 and 09 Cadillac to the tune of $109 for an illegal U-turn I believe Saturday. I do know that Monday and Tuesday they pulled a lot of trucks, etc over on Hersheypark Drive.

Yepper. I got a great picture of the couple with the Caddy in period dress showing off their ticket. Actually, I can tell you that the tickets were for "failing to obey a no U turn sign" and the fine totals $109.50

The problem I had was I did not know how to get from the Chocolate Field South to the show. I could somehow zig zag a half mile through the flea market over to the Red field and exit to Hershey Park Drive. I could have left the flea market entrance, FE, onto Park Blvd and turned left and gone for 15 miles out the back. I could have exited out entrance FE, turned right onto Park Blvd and onto route 39 or Hershey park drive and driven around all morning looking for some way to turn around. Or, I could go onto Park, driven out to Hershey Park Drive, and done a U turn back onto Park Blvd and gone to the show. Evidently that was a short drive, a fifteen minute wait and $109.50 decision.

Heres a suggestion. There is a gate in the fence that was locked shut all weekend where Park Blvd and the Car Corral road meet. If that gate could be opened from 7 to 9AM Saturday morning, then cars could get from the Chocolate Field South and Park Blvd to the Car Corral Road and the show. If that does not work, then someone will have to explain to me what the plan is to get cars from Chocolate South to the Car Show.

I'm not sure what route I will take next year. I guess Park to 39, up to the Museum to turn around and 39 back to Park. How about opening the gate?

That said, my weekend was just terrific. Thanks again to everyone involved in making it happen. Thanks to the people booing the cop from the pedestrian bridge. We came away with stories that will last a lifetime.

Bill

Red and White Met waiting by the road with the Model T

Guest DBAcadia

Only my second Hershey and first time as a vendor. Like the needle in a haystack, I met a fellow who, when it came around in conversation that we

were from Bar Harbor, Maine, shared he had just been up here and had

discovered a neat Museum, the Seal Cove Auto Museum. He and his father are

motorcycle knowalots and he shared important info on a piece at Seal Cove.

Funniest part is he only discovered our slot because I had held up a fresh Maine lobster for 2 seconds to attract attention,one we hadn't eaten Tuesday night. Karma indeed!

Back in 2000 a well known Mopar parts dealer out of Georgia was set up in the White field, and he ripped my dad and I off.

This year this same guy decided that he wanted to buy parts off of my dad and I, and when he didn't like the terms of the deal, he started to get loud with my father.:mad::mad::mad:

I got to turn on my drill sergeant voice and threw his @$$ out.:D:D:D

The boy quickly found out who we were, and he has now realized that he made a big mistake putting the screws to my dad and I. Once I stepped in, my dad sat back and enjoyed the show.:D:D:D

When a few of the other people who had also been ripped off by this same individual, got word of the incident, they shook my hand and thanked me.

Some of them told me that had I sold tickets, they would've paid to see the show......

Karma, it's a wonderfull thing!!

Missed a few folks on my list (didn't print it but wanted to see Steve Braverman and a couple of others...) I will need to catch next year.

Sorry I missed you. My space is directly across the street from Bob 1937HD. I wasn't there much this year. I brought my three-year-old daughter along this year for the first time, and she wasn't too thrilled about it. That and the threat of weather convinced me to leave on Friday, which I immediately regretted.

Had several Hershey highlights, got to put a face to name on over 20 people, including several on this post. Shop Rat has a photo of my REAL Hershey Highlight...care to post it?

Sure now that I have your persmission to spill the beans. :D I just wish I had had the time to take you up on your offer of a ride in the new toy. But Bill wanted to keep looking for parts.

P.S. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send the photos to you.

post-36313-143138119985_thumb.jpg

post-36313-143138119989_thumb.jpg

post-36313-143138119993_thumb.jpg

Guest kingsting

My best highlight for the last two years...

The pizza guy at the end of the bridge! Not only does he make some of the best pizza (We have lousy pizza shops around here) but he's open well into the evening. After every other food vendor is long gone, he's still up and running.

Another evening-related thing that I noticed this year was that a number of vendors remained open later and others were still hanging out and socializing well after dark. It was nice to see that again. The last couple years were disappointing after 5 PM. The place looked like a ghost town even though everybody is on well-lit asphalt.

For me Hershey wasone of the best ever. Got to meet so many folks - always enjoy Shop Rat's smile! Sure wish there was more time to just sit and visit. Need to download some of my pictures! Sure did find some neat stuff this year. It seems to always work best when you are not looking for anything special. Check out www.prewarcar.com for a look at Steve Heald's BrownieKar. Saw it in the back of his car in Philly a few years ago after he first picked it up. What an interesting vehicle and a miraculous restoration! My personal reward from Hershey is handing out some of the dash plaques early on Saturday morning, and then handing trophies out to members later that evening. Those are the best jobs in the hobby!

How many days till next Hershey?

Terry

Our next-door neighbor was an ex-drill instructor for the Marines. Just like you, a nice guy....until someone ticked him off. :eek::D
Thank you. I'm generally pretty laid back but when someone takes advantage of people and then chooses to mess with my father, he's maggot food.:mad::mad::mad:

Sorry I missed you, but I was helping our hard working Executive Director set up and tear down.:cool::cool::cool:

Did Bill stop to see if we had any Mopar parts for him??

Guest Siegfried

Hershey High-Lights? Just being here for another Fall Meet is always a TREAT for me. Already looking forward to next year. Remeber the souvenir sign from a few years back? Every October Hershey, The Rest of the YEAR is Just Waiting'. See you next year............

I feel your frustration about how to get to the showfield from the Chocolate field. In my case I drove our 32 Buick out of CF and up to the red light at 322, turned left went about 200 yds to the striped area in the middle of the road, then stopped, waited for North bound traffic to go by and did a U turn back to 39 East, turned right and was waved into the parade entrance and on to the red entrance to the show field.

Buddies of mine came along about an hour later in a 1925 Buick did the U turn at the 322 light and promptly got pulled over and handed a ticket.

There has to be an easier way to access the parade route.

Chuck Nixon

post-36870-143138120441_thumb.jpg

Thank you. I'm generally pretty laid back but when someone takes advantage of people and then chooses to mess with my father, he's maggot food.:mad::mad::mad:

Yeah, I feel the same way.

Sorry I missed you, but I was helping our hard working Executive Director set up and tear down.:cool::cool::cool:

I was sorry to miss you too. I stopped by twice. The second time I did let your dad call you for me. :)

Did Bill stop to see if we had any Mopar parts for him??

Uh, I forgot to tell him you might have some. He wandered off to see some rusty object that caught his attention when he found out you weren't there. Sorry. :eek::o