What is up with the steel....

Dandy Dave

...in later model vehicles. A friend of mine has a 1994 Chevy 3500 truck that is a farm vehicle. About a week or more ago he was driving it to a hay field where I was repairing a haybailer for him, and the transmission cross member gave up. It was rotted though on the drivers side, and real crusty on the passanger side. I managed to get a strap around it and hold it up just long enough to get the truck home. A few days later I pulled it out and found that it was hanging on by a thread and a half. Off to the salvage yard.... after searching though about a half a dozen or so trucks we found one that had rust scale on it, but it was salvegable. All the others were rotted though. On the way out I passed a 1950 vintage GMC pickup laying on it's side for many years, and the frame and cross member is in excellent condition compared to this hulk that is nearly 35 years newer. Why tis it? :confused:

Maybe I already know the answer, but just just don't want to know. :eek: Dandy Dave!

The steel being used today has been specially designed to re-fertilize the earth within a few years so that a new crop of steel can be harvested.

It is part of the cash for clunkers program.

Another version of the rust problem is that modern cars are being engineered to be lighter and therefore more fuel-efficient. The parts are being formed for maximum strength, using boxed sections that do not ventilate as well as open channel sections of yesteryear. "Mud" and debris collect and keep the steel moist, and rot in inevitable.

Lead has been taken out of the paint that used to protect steel and there also is no incentive to manufacture a 40-year life span automobile when they are obsolete in 10 years.

What is interesting, is that the automakers have finally figure out how to make the sheet metal rust-proof, but now the frames rot away. A couple of years ago, I had a 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 with a beautiful rust-free body, and the chassis was so rotten, it would not pass inspection. At least it looked good :eek:

A lot of this has to do with re-cycled steel. You have no idea of what is in it. A good example is the plumbing industry that I am involved in. Water heaters used to last 20 to 30 years, today if you get 8 years you are doing good. I have seen rusty slugs the size of a dime blow out the side of a new water heater when we turn the water on. And when we are threading steel pipe once in a while we will hit a piece that is so hard it will break the dyes. It never used to be this way. Re-cycled steel.

What is interesting, is that the automakers have finally figure out how to make the sheet metal rust-proof, but now the frames rot away.

Could the answer really be that previously, the body rusted away before the frame had a chance and now since body rustproofing has gotten so much better, we're seeing the frame become the weak link?

Guest palosfv3

More chemicals used on the roads for deicing, poor design , not washing down the undercarriage in the spring are among some of the things contributing to this issue . The most interesting issue on the later model trucks is ( I know this is touchy ) Toyota has been epoxy painting the chassis on their trucks for the last several years, yet GM , Ford and Chrysler are only spraying a lite coating of rustproofing / undercoating which usally starts rusting shortly after driving.

Uh, hey, guys....

How about this: people pay attention to the body and wash the salt off every year. But when was the last time any of these trucks went through a car wash that cleans the UNDERSIDE of the car or truck?

As for clean rust-free truck parts, try these:

Drive in truck salvage

202 New Laredo Hwy

San Antonio, TX 78211-1906

(210) 924-6551

San Antonio Auto Truck Parts

9400 New Laredo Hwy

San Antonio

(210) 222-2221

The only large or rock salt we use down here is around the rim of a margarita glass!

Edited by Reatta Man (see edit history)

More chemicals used on the roads for deicing, poor design , not washing down the undercarriage in the spring are among some of the things contributing to this issue . The most interesting issue on the later model trucks is ( I know this is touchy ) Toyota has been epoxy painting the chassis on their trucks for the last several years, yet GM , Ford and Chrysler are only spraying a lite coating of rustproofing / undercoating which usally starts rusting shortly after driving.

Here in Canada I've been told by a reliable source Toyota is doing a buyback on Tacoma pickups due to rusted out frames.

What is interesting, is that the automakers have finally figure out how to make the sheet metal rust-proof, but now the frames rot away. A couple of years ago, I had a 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 with a beautiful rust-free body, and the chassis was so rotten, it would not pass inspection. At least it looked good :eek:

Yeah, those 6 or so trucks in the scrap heap resemble that remark, but not the 1950 ish GMC. ;) Dandy Dave!

The steel being used today has been specially designed to re-fertilize the earth within a few years so that a new crop of steel can be harvested.

It is part of the cash for clunkers program.

Now that is funny Roger.....:D....:).... Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave
Quote done up and croaked..... (see edit history)

Uh, hey, guys....

How about this: people pay attention to the body and wash the salt off every year. But when was the last time any of these trucks went through a car wash that cleans the UNDERSIDE of the car or truck?

The only large or rock salt we use down here is around the rim of a margarita glass!

some of the car washes "back east" use recycled water and they DO spray the underside of the cars/trucks

that means all the road salt just gets sprayed on the underside

Guest abh3usn

I got a recall from Toyota concerning frame rust on my 04 Tacoma. I looked at it when I got the letter. The frame didn't look bad at all. Almost looked brand new. Toyotas fix for the problem is to undercoat it. Wouldn't that allow the rust that's allready there to keep rusting? I didn't bring mine to the dealership as there's no need to. I'd also add that the steel problem is not just the reasons mentioned, it's also the composition of the steel. There's less carbon and other elements in today's steel. One reason old Navy ships are valued is for their 'vintage' steel. The James River Reserve Fleet is located off Ft. Eustis VA. This steel is a high quality steel that can be made into anything. Unfortuenately, most of it ends up in China.

I got a recall from Toyota concerning frame rust on my 04 Tacoma. I looked at it when I got the letter. The frame didn't look bad at all. Almost looked brand new. Toyotas fix for the problem is to undercoat it. Wouldn't that allow the rust that's allready there to keep rusting? I didn't bring mine to the dealership as there's no need to. I'd also add that the steel problem is not just the reasons mentioned, it's also the composition of the steel. There's less carbon and other elements in today's steel. One reason old Navy ships are valued is for their 'vintage' steel. The James River Reserve Fleet is located off Ft. Eustis VA. This steel is a high quality steel that can be made into anything. Unfortuenately, most of it ends up in China.

Yep....and then it's turned into flimsy, strength diminished, cheap doodoo and sent back to us to buy as tools.

Toyota has a history of building POS trucks. They never have built a good truck for the US market. They imported an under-powered pick up in the late 70's into the early 80's that couldn't maintain 60 MPH empty. Owners were blowing up engines just trying to keep up with traffic. When Toyota got the power thing worked out they built trucks with weak frames that either rusted out or broke in half or broke axles from over loading. If Toyota rated it at a half ton truck, it would brake if you put 1100 lbs in it. It wasn't just a problem with the frames rusting in half but the brackets were rusting off too. Beds & fenders rust off and steering boxes & racks would brake loose if you hit a bump causing accidents.

If you search the NHTSA database you'll see that Toyota has numerous rust out complaints with the Tacoma up through at least 2004 models. The Tundra doesn't seem to have rust out problems but has a number of other complaints unique to that model.