1948-1963 Dynaflow Rebuilding

lrlforfun

OK Buick People: I was thinking of opening up a Dyanflow only transmission shop. I am looking for some feedback...........

Am I delusional for even thinking of this?

What would a fair price be for a bench rebuild?

Who would be interested in having their Dynaflow rebuilt?

Here's the plan. I have a tremendous supply of Dynaflow cores which I've been saving for such an opportunity. I would like to rebuild them on the bench (eventually have built units ready), test them in a chassis test car, put them on a pallet and ship them to where ever the customer wants.

Specializing in one thing gives me access to new parts as well as used ones. People would be getting a quality job within a short period of time, hopefully at a price where I make some money and the customer gets something that's a good value.

What do you think? Mitch

Guest kaycee

Mitch,

I'm no businessman, but if you have the cores and access to parts at reasonable prices, I'd go for it. I'm sure that just people on these forums could be a good market, let alone Hemmings, etc. markets. I do'nt know how much competition there's out there now, but it sure would be worth while checking out to determine current charges, etc. The differences in years will be a factor.

I rebuilt my first Dynaflow several years ago on a '55 Century, and, like all automatics it's a matter of cleanliness, care, and specs., and some kind of warranty on the unit which you're aware of.

Good luck and best wishes!

kaycee

OK Buick People; A few problems already. How many different Dynaflows are there? I'm pretty sure 57-60 are similar, therefore using 1 test chassis. How many other test chassis would I need?

The good news!!!! Having a test chassis I can test a used transmission and if it's good I can seal it up and sell it as used for a fraction of the rebuilt price. Because the r & r is so labor intensive it could be a great alternative versus installing a pig in a poke. I mean, who would pay to take the chance that a tranny could be good with so much at stake if it's not. Mitch

Mitch,

I think you will get folks here with Dynaflows responding that it is an excellent idea. I'm no businessman, but here are a few thoughts I would consider:

• is this a sideline, just trying to do a bit better than breaking even? If so, you are in better shape than trying to be a fully equipped tranny shop and this is your life.
  • shipping would be a possible issue. Since much of your potential market exists at considerable distance, I'm sure shipping costs have the possibility of limiting your market.
  • there was something else in my head, but it's gone now....

There is a local transmission shop that advertises with the local antique car club. I took my '66 Wildcat to them a number of years ago after it had dumped its tranny fluid. The transmission was in good working order once they replaced the seals, so they did no more than check it over. When I picked it up, I chatted with the owner...one thing I remember him saying is that, while he learned on Dynaflows and similar era transmissions, the '66 was just about as old as he wanted to deal with now. So, if local shops are getting out of it, it may be a good opportunity. That being said, I honestly would likely not ship out a transmission for service, especially crossing the border and that distance, unless I couldn't find anyone locally to work on it.

Good luck.

Guest Dallas Palmer

This is a great idea. I know that years ago, when very young, my mom had a '63 LeSabre that dumped the Dynaflow but my Dad would not keep the car because they were hard to find and expensive. Now that I own a car exactly like it, it would be great to have access to rebuilt units even if there was a cost for shipping. I have access to a freight dock so getting it to me, if needed, would be no issue.

Go for it.

Mitch, are you planning on renting a building? I have owned a shop before. A lot of overhead expenses.

You asked about different types of dynaflows.

1948 - 1952, Dynaflow

1953 - 1954, Twin-turbine Dynaflow

1955, Variable Pitch Dynaflow

1956 - 1963, Variable Pitch Dynaflow with additional first stator (1961 - 1963, open driveline)

1958, Flight Pitch Dynaflow

1959, Triple Turbine (flight pitch dynaflow with running changes, improvements)

Marty

Mitch,

I think that anyone who can earn a living working in the old car hobby is one lucky SOB and this has become my dream as well. I have restored 5 Buicks to date with the next one waiting it's turn. Out of these I paid for 1 Dynaflow rebuild which I question if it was really done or not. Having a place that I could call and have a rebuilt Dynaflow shipped out from stock would be tremendous and I would definately do business with them as long as they where reputable and competitive. I have a few freinds in our local chapter who have had their Dynaflows rebuilt locally by old timers for about $2,000.00 - $2,500.00 I have no idea if this is cheap, average or expensive or how many hours of labor are required and what the cost of a rebuild kit would run but if you can make it work I applaud you for doing something you want.

Best of luck to you and keep us informed.

Mitch,

I had the dynaflow in my 63 Riviera rebuilt by our own Pete Phillips in Sherman, TX. He charged me $1500.00. I will say that I talked to a bunch of transmission shops before I found Pete, they all said they knew all about Dynaflows but when you really talked to them it was all BS. I'm sure you would have business from the club exposure but not sure if only doing one type of trans would limit you.

OK Buick People: I'm still doing my homework. As some of you know I have several 1960 (over 25) Buick parts cars, most with the trannys still in them. I need to figure out which other models will bolt up to the 1960 test chassis because having 4 or 5 test chassis is not in the cards. 1 is the limit.

Any ideas? I'm going to try to make this work! Mitch

OK Buick People: I'm still doing my homework. As some of you know I have several 1960 (over 25) Buick parts cars, most with the trannys still in them. I need to figure out which other models will bolt up to the 1960 test chassis because having 4 or 5 test chassis is not in the cards. 1 is the limit.

Any ideas? I'm going to try to make this work! Mitch

If you think this will work then gopher it.

Since u r in Arnie land, the shipping costs may overwhelm you and your customers. IOW's, u will need to keep costs down.

I would say $500-$1K for the rebuilt trans, plus additional shipping. That would be what I would charge someone to rebuild one (if out of the car). If in the car add $250. These transmissions are not much to rebuild, compared to early hydramatics.

As mentioned before, there are many Dynaflow models. Don't even try the Flight pitch/triple turbine unit, as parts are scarce. And these units are far different from 2T dynaflows.

Just my .02.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

There is a running Craigs List ad from California where the service provided is strictly Dynaflow transmission rebuilding and it shows 2-3 photos of "restored" Dynaflows that visually from the exterior - they look well sorted.

Is that Mitch or someone else? Moores?

I say go for your dynaflow trans rebuilding service!! There is only one shop in my area that will touch my '60 Invicta (torque ball rebuild only) I have to go to California (300 miles) for a quality trans shop I would trust for a complete rebuild. I wish you the best in your Buick trans rebuild service!!!

Steve Wood

BCA#42957

60 Invicta

OK Buick People: The infrastructure is currently in progress. Here's where we are at now. Some things might change..............

Slab has been poured for the shop.

The Mule car has been picked out.

Looking for a BAR licensed local shop to do local installations.

Gathering cores.

Not ready to contact parts vendors.

Not ready to take on any work.

Shop (work area) it self is ready to be assembled

Also, G-G-GO, where is "Your area"?

The object of this deal is to eliminate the guesswork, have immediate service, offer a great product at a simple price and make a profit.

We are going to have only two prices. One price for bench labor 100% rebuilt at least to Bureau of Auto Repair standards and one price for installation. Internally there are as many prices as you can imagine...if it needs hard parts, if it needs seals, if perhaps only reverse is not working, if there's no drive, etc.etc. etc. It really does everybody a disservice dissecting the repair.Sure there's a guy who will rebuild one for $300. Labor? Complete? Parts? Hard parts? What? There will be a work order for every unit that will be the same, covering all standard repairs that will be in full compliance with the State's rules and then some!

*100% Rebuilt unit exchange.....$$$$

*Installation (if requested)

*Shipping...............................$$$$

*Sales Tax (where necessary)...$$$$

*Total...................................$$$$

BOTTOM LINE We are going to put out a quality unit. One that is priced fairly, built correctly and will hold together.

It's going to come together. When? I don't know exactly but we are working on it. Mitch.

Guest tolstoinut

Do it !I want your card when you are in bussiness. A lot of other old Buick owners will as well . Good Luck ! Greg in maine ... 1948 Roadmaster with.........Dyna-slow

For those of you in the states covered by the Great lakes Region of the BCA, I can recommend Jim Hughes dba Jim's Dynaflow Service here in Perrysburg, OH. All Dynaflows including Flight Pitch are done. He may have some Dynaflow units ready and available. Dual Path done also. 419-874-2393. Don't hesitate to throw my name at him.

OK Buick People: The infrastructure is currently in progress. Here's where we are at now. Some things might change..............

Slab has been poured for the shop.

The Mule car has been picked out.

Looking for a BAR licensed local shop to do local installations.

Gathering cores.

Not ready to contact parts vendors.

Not ready to take on any work.

Shop (work area) it self is ready to be assembled

Also, G-G-GO, where is "Your area"?

The object of this deal is to eliminate the guesswork, have immediate service, offer a great product at a simple price and make a profit.

We are going to have only two prices. One price for bench labor 100% rebuilt at least to Bureau of Auto Repair standards and one price for installation. Internally there are as many prices as you can imagine...if it needs hard parts, if it needs seals, if perhaps only reverse is not working, if there's no drive, etc.etc. etc. It really does everybody a disservice dissecting the repair.Sure there's a guy who will rebuild one for $300. Labor? Complete? Parts? Hard parts? What? There will be a work order for every unit that will be the same, covering all standard repairs that will be in full compliance with the State's rules and then some!

*100% Rebuilt unit exchange.....$$$$

*Installation (if requested)

*Shipping...............................$$$$

*Sales Tax (where necessary)...$$$$

*Total...................................$$$$

BOTTOM LINE We are going to put out a quality unit. One that is priced fairly, built correctly and will hold together.

It's going to come together. When? I don't know exactly but we are working on it. Mitch.

Good morning.

Are you going to work on other tansmissions besides Dynaflows?

Modern transmissions?

Thank you,

Marty

Mitch: I wish Marty all the success for his shop. He is in California , though, and can be of more service to the West Coast Dynaflow owners. By some posts on this thread it is obvious there are hobbyists in other areas of the country looking for help on their Dynaflows. California is a long way to ship one of these. The post was simply to inform people in this area that there is help a little closer.

Guest Brand O

yep....just funnin with ya...It was to good to pass up....I know it is very costly to ship parts of that size to distant lands....:D....I hope all the best for a guy trying to start a new company....especially in todays economy....and especially if it is helping to keep those cars from our past on the road...

• 2 weeks later...

Bye the way: Who makes the best "Hands Down" complete Dyna-flow rebuild kit out there??? - Best Materials, Best with most parts included and Best Workmanship etc.... of everything included !

.... or does one have to piece work a complete " high quality" kit together?

I would like to get the best of everything together and then have it ready for someone to rebuild my dynaflow. See some on ebay but don't know about the quality.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Buicknail

This would be great to have a shop that is familiar with these transmissions in california.

Does anyone know of any dynaflow shops in southern california?

• 1 year later...
Guest 56Super
a tranny mechanic here rebuilds just about any tranny, (old one of any make)

for about $300 to $450

he rebuilt the 63 riv's tranny for $325

something to keep in mind

there are alot of tranny shops out there

Greg

Where and who in Wis. does this?

Sounds like the $1500 + prices are for modern over drive transmissions. We are in the $350 to $500 range for dynaflows in this area. Don't go to the "chain" shops. Find an older independent shop.

Where and who in In. does this?