G'Burg Meet Is Now HISTORY

Guest Siegfried

Guest Siegfried

And what a meet it was. Huge is the best way to describe it.

The show field was a bit soft in places thanks to several days of rain, but everything worked out.

Many thanks to the Gettysburg Region for the superb meet. As expected you folks delivered a well organized event.

Thanks to Doc and Charlotte Straton for once again doing a super job with the Chief Judges job. I don't now how you kept your cool, but you did, and the judging when smoothly. Somehow enough judges were found.

As usual I personally had a super day on the judging field, and got to work with four new to me judges. Our judging system seems to find the best AACA members for the job.

And one last Thanks. This one is for Karen Berg who came through for me with a spare fire extinguisher that she allowed me to use so my car would not get disqualified. I was in DPC and for the first time in about 35 years I drove a car without a fire extinguisher! Man was I embrassed!!! Thanks Karen, you saved the day.

After what happened to me I think AACA National, or the host region might want to consider having a few fire extinguishers available for sale at the souvenir tent. Maybe six, or so. If they don't sell they can always be returned to the store where they were purchased. Just an idea.

Guest VeloMan

I was pleased to see so many pre-war cars at Gettysburg. There were 15+ Brass-Era cars and a few dozen Nickel (not to mention some early trucks). That's more than I saw at Hershey last year. I've heard some comments that the more modern cars are "taking over", but there was plenty for the antique buffs to admire here!

Phil

Roger all the above. Nice venue, well organized, and very pleasant volunteers.

My personal bests were getting to meet West and giving him a phrase that he seemed to enjoy, Getting the best spot on the field under a nice shade tree, and having not one but two 56 Chryslers on the field with helpfull owners from whom I could mooch priceless information.

It was a mahvelous meet..........Bob

Just as everyone else said it was a great show. I got to drive my 23 T through some mud and soft grass and had a blast. I dont mind the cleanup since I had so much fun. I also had my 67 Camaro in 27G going for a senior. From in front of the scenes it looked to be very well planned out and smooth run show. Top notch shows like this are why I am proud to be a member of the AACA.

Guest Siegfried

Sorry that I did not make it over to membership like I wanted to. We finished judging around 13:30 hours and I was flat out tired. Missed the Amphicar too. Maybe some other time.

Dittos on the positive comments about Gettysburg. We had a blast and enjoyed meeting so many folks there. The cars were great and we even found a few treasures in the swap meet area! Hats off to Don and Carol Barlup and the rest of the Gettysburg Region for a job well done!

Terry & Susan Bond

Did anyone go by and have supper at General Pickett's Buffet? We'll make sure to hit that next month when we do Carlisle All-GM.

Also- did anyone take any old car pics on the Battlefield? Always thought it would make a great background for photographing older cars.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did anyone go by and have supper at General Pickett's Buffet? We'll make sure to hit that next month when we do Carlisle All-GM.</div></div>YES!! I was going to go someplace else, but my wife wasn't feeling good and wanted soup so we decided to do the buffett. Good food, good price.

I was lucky enough to tour Ike's farm and enjoyed that very much.

Oh I almost forgot. To the entire Gettysburg Region, and to our national officers, thank you for a great show. Many of you took a great deal of time to answer our questions and show me and several members of my region what you were doing, and how you were doing it.

I truly hope that we can have as good of an outcome on our event as yours turned out to be.

Guest boettger

A big thank you to Don Barlup and the whole crew from Gettysburg. Great Meet. General Picketts' Buffett was worth the trip. The Pork and Saurkraut on the buffett was worth the price on admission.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A big thank you to Don Barlup and the whole crew from Gettysburg. Great Meet</div></div>DITTO!! <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">General Picketts' Buffett was worth the trip. The Pork and Saurkraut on the buffett was worth the price on admission.</div></div>Their chicken wings weren't bad for being as far away from Buffalo as they are. We all had a great time. Now we only wish that we had planned a few more days to see more stuff. We beat feet off the showfield to catch the last tour of Eisenhower's farm, but were limited to only one hour. I could've spent three hours going through that entire place. I didn't see everything but I saw Ike's Buick Station Wagon, his Jeep, his Crossley and his golf carts parked in the barn. I'm even talking now that if we get a rain day at Hershey of taking the drive back down.

I always have fun giving rides and wished I could have gave more. I also had a ball yesterday digging seaweed out of crevices I didn't even know existed on the car. My Camp Hill neighbors were wondering why dried seaweed was blowing down the street. For those that get on me (and others) for trailering my cars this is proof that they are used once reaching their destination.

I lost steering out in the water as it just wanted to turn to the right. After checking the props, drive shafts, etc the problem appears to be the seaweed on the front bumper. It blocked the water flow on the front wheels which are supposed to act like rudders.

Wayne, next time (maybe Pat's meet next year) we can go for a real amphi voyage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rif Raff!!! </div></div>

I'll have to admit it that they were all with me. Ralph was real proud of those socks and was having a fun day (brought my 55) by not having to be / stay with a client the entire show. The man is a metal genius. I have seen him pound out 29 alpha fenders from new flat steel and you couldn't tell the difference from the originals.

I'll be there Ron!

Everyone enjoyed what you and Valerie did for the AACA this past weekend, including the "free movies" Thursday night. smile.gif

If you know anyone that's gotten bored in life from retirement or just the everyday doldrums, tell them to join the AACA and see how old people still know how to have fun. At times, my wife's sides would be hurting from laughing, after watching us act silly which is normal, right??? blush.gifcool.gif

Wayne

Guest Siegfried

Makes me also wish there was a pond beside the Hershey car show area, and a rainy week before the show so we could maybe get the Amphicar to go swimming at Hershey. Those cars are absolutely superb. Much nicer then a VW Schwimmwagon (my spelling might be off a bit), and definetly more comfortable to drive and ride in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semi-Intelligent</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...This one is for Karen Berg who came through for me with a spare fire extinguisher that she allowed me to use so my car would not get disqualified. I was in DPC and for the first time in about 35 years I drove a car without a fire extinguisher! Man was I embrassed!!! Thanks Karen, you saved the day. </div></div>

S-I, Since Dave doesn't come on here very often (and Karen never does) I forwarded your thanks to her by e-mail. I didn't want them to miss it since you were so kind to write it.

Sorry you didn't make it to the DFer's meeting. I was hoping to meet you. Hopefully at Hershey. smile.gif

Guest resq302

I would like to give out a HUGE compliment to the Gettysburg region for pulling off an excellent show. Granted, my family and I had a TON of problems with the host hotel with not only our room being wrong and screwed up, but the young manager gave us an attitude and pretty much outright said, "if you dont like it you can leave but you will have to pay for the night since it is after the cancellation time", the waitress in the lounge finally waited on us after a half hour of sitting and waiting for her to come, almost had my beer and a couple other glasses land on my head when she dropped the tray just behind me, etc. Aside from the mud and rain the day before which the region could not control, I think they did a fantastic job. Even talking to some of the committee members on Friday, it seemed that they too were aggrivated with the hotel.

All in all, my family had a great time and we even got our Jr. First with our challenger convert.

Guest windjamer

The Gettysburg region done a fantastic job,as for the Eisenhower hotel I wish I could buy it just so I could fire the whole worthless staff

agreed, compliments to the Gettysburg Region. And the hotel sucked.

1. Reservations made in early Jan, then was one of 18 that was bumped from the hotel due to thier "computer error" as my dad was told. From what I can tell the 18 bumped were all one night stays. Then after I guess, Gettysburg Region got invovled they said they'd paid half of another room at the America's Best up the road. Not being at or next door to the host hotel is a bit of a problem due to dad and I judging and mom doesn't. Plus both of my parents ahve a hard time getting around due to leg problems so walking is pretty much out.

We ended up getting the 3 night reservation of someone else that cancelled out. a couple of calles the reservartion were now in our name.

2. On thursday afternoon we called and cancelled the reservation for Thursday night. Fine, no problems.

3. First night in the hotel my folks said it sounded like squirrels or something having a party above us. I was dead to the world, I never heard them but then again I live two blocks from the firehouse and don't hear the siren or trucks at night and 4 blocks from the train tracks and don't hear the train come through. They did end up putting us in another room for Sat night.

4. Before Judge's Breakfast, Dad went to cancel the reservations for Friday so we could head back to NC. Nope, can't cancel. If we didn't stay we'd still have to pay for the room because we didn't cancel prior to 24 hours. And she had an attitude about it. (how comes there wasn't a problem in canceling Thursday night when it was less than 24hr?)

I'm not sure wether it was the first or the second reservation (I believe the first) dad asked for a handicapped room, with an atitude was told "So what..there's nothing we can do about it".

Obviously this hotel doesn't care about it's guests, they only wanted our money (min two night stay). Poor excuse for a business center too, 1 computer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: windjamer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....as for the Eisenhower hotel I wish I could buy it just so I could fire the whole worthless staff </div></div>

wj, You did fire them by taking your business elsewhere. That is what Wal-Mart founder Sam Walton said people could do if a business didn't serve their customers properly.

Guest Siegfried

Thank You!!! I definetly owe you a thanks as I didn't realize that Dave and Karen did not log into the forum. I did thank Karen, and had a superb conversation with Dave. He seemed surprised to see a trailer hitch on a VW Rabbit. Granted it can't pull a lot, but it has meoved up to 3/4 ton of mulch in the 5X4 utility trailer that I built. By the way, the utility trailer featured VW Rabbit/Jetta rear stub axles and 13 inch VW cast aluminum wheels that match the wheels on the Rabbit. I do love that uncivilized Rabbit, and will have a tough choice to make in 2010 when the trusty '85 Jetta turns 25. The Jetta is definetly more civilized rthen the Rabbit ever could be. The problem is, I made the Rabbit what it is, and as a soon to be 60ty year old teenager, I just don't know. Love that truly uncivilized little car.

Once again, I got off the original topic. Thanks Susan for letting Karen know.

Guest Siegfried

Almost forgot, I will make a point to look EVERYONE up at Hershey. I simply burned out after judging at G'burg. The bronchitics had escalated to pneumopnia by 6/1 and I was just flat out lucky that I kicked it by at least 3/4 by Saturday. Am over it now. Nnyhow, I have vendor spaces on the Green field right by the car corral. Spaces are GBB 35-36. Right beside Eric 'Mr. Tires' Marsh. Just look for a very thin guy (me), or a white Rabbit, or possibly a white Jetta.

Guest Siegfried

Yoh, Stonefish, of course I know that. I, once upon a time in my insanity years was the fearful leader of the VVWCA, Thank goodness I came to my senses and BOOGIED!!!!!! Just a goofy statement about the Schwimmer versus the Amphicar. But you've got to agree, the Amphicar definetly has got a lot going for it. So does the Schwimmer.

Did you know that the horn button from an Amphi fits the steering wheel used in the '56 through '59 bug. The same goes for the steering wheel for the Karmann Ghia coupe from '56 through '59. Not sure about the pre '68 bus, but I think it just might fit. How do I know?? Years back Richie from Queens filled me in, and I bought an Amphi horn button. Shortly after that the Amphi parts guys started asking for documentation about your Amphi before they'd agree to sell you a horn button! Imagine that?

Anyhow, maybe I'll see you somewhere. like the AACA museum event, and we can compare the attributes of the Schimmer versus the Amphi. Maybe have a brew, or two in the process??? Got have something to drink to wash down those burn-out burgers...

Guest Siegfried

Almost forgot, Apples and oranges??? I prefer grapefruits and tangerines. Just so long as they're ripe....