Who has an uglier truck -n- Me?

Dandy Dave

Ruff but ready...still runs and plows snow. 1962 Ford F-250

100_1607998.jpg

100_1604810.jpg

When I aquired this many years ago as a young man, it was just an old used truck. Funny thing, It is still just an old used truck. So who has one that's uglier??? laugh.gif Dandy Dave!

My 1965 Dodge D100 1/2 ton stepside was a pretty ugly truck. There were soooo many ugly things about it. Colors. Top was that bumpy black paint. Shifter on the column was vice grips. Driver's door handle was vice grips (lost two good pair of vice grips when I sold it). License plate read "TUG076", so I called it Tug and mounted a little tug boat on the hood as an ornament. Man, that sure got some laughs. The bed was ugly...I would go over the railroad tracks downtown and the bed would shift over 2" or 3". I think it only had one bolt holding one corner on. The dual exhaust was ugly...there was a "glasspack" on one side and a holey muffler on the other side. My deaf father-in-law lives next door and it used to wake him up in the mornings. The interior was ugly. It had one of those woven blanket type covers from Arizona or someplace on the seats. The good thing about it about it is that it was given to me for free. With a little tune up, I drove it for three years while working on my A100 and my '31 Dodge, sold it later for $200.00.

post-37352-143138043467_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138043469_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bhigdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Besides that I bet it's a real chick magnet. wink.gif </div></div>

Yeah but where do you put the chicks when you need to take their coop into town for supplies? blush.gifgrin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah but where do you put the chicks when you need to take their coop into town for supplies? </div></div>

Ain't got no chickens or no farm no more! The old man done sold it off and headed on outta here. shocked.gifsmile.gifgrin.giflaugh.gif

LOL Dandy Dave!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave, it is old enough to be on the showfield at Hershey, if it was mine I'd have my entery fee in the mail by now. After all the AACA is into diversity, and attracting new younger members. </div></div>

Why not have a class for these old and well used vehicles and give some gag trophys out for the ugliest old vehicles that still run. Maybe for ones that do not run yet. One for the most different colors of changed body panals. one for the smokiest engine? Sounds like it would be fun for old and young alike. You may get a whole group of youngsters involved that can't afford a restoration, but would have a lot of fun just piecing something together. The benefits would be two fold, They would learn in the process the basics of mechanics and automobile construction, and also may save an old car/ truck that would other wise be scraped. We all have to start somewhere. A contest may draw some incentive. ???

cool.gif Dandy Dave!

Dear Mr. BHIG DOG,

I'll have you know that I have done my duty to recycle as many 1961-1966 old original parts to keep this old Ford F-250 up to a high mark of autothentisity. wink.gif

While thinking about it... The only parts of the original truck that are still left are the frame, rearend, transfercase, steering box, and the top part of the cab which is still in the original green paint, and also, the Glove box door with the vin number attached.

The bottom half of the original cab was so rusted out that the running boards/steps were non exsistant. The bottom half of the cab came from a truck that my uncle had. The truck was in a roll over and the roof was crushed. So I cut the top out, lined up the window openings, and welded it back together. The truck was once again wrecked back in the late 1980's. A hit and run I might add, as the car that hit me ran a stop sign and took off. When he hit me, he forced the old Ford under a tractor trailer flat deck, which banged up the nose pretty good and broke off the front axle. I found another old ford with a bad engine and it became a parts doner to get the old ford going again. I was just a "po country boy" in those days, so I did what I could with what I had. Also, I had access to about 7 or 8 other fords of the same vintage to pick from. The Woods 1&3/4ths yard dump body came off of a 1936 Ford truck that we once had on the farm. The rest is parts that belong on a 1962 Ford F250, with the exception of the steering wheel. So I do not consider it a "Rat Rod". smirk.gif And that's the way it was, Life in these United States. smile.gif Dandy Dave!

When you talk UGLY, you need to add OLD to the description, after all this is an AACA Forum.

This is my 1935 Ford pickup, as found in a Wisconsin barn 20 years ago. It runs and drives just fine but failed the "preserved" part of HPOF and was rejected. Never got a reasonable explanation, except the ugly word and serious head shaking by the judges.

post-32318-143138043707_thumb.jpg

For Dandy Dave, sorry it's not pink, it's tan but the photo editor program did that. This is a better shot. The paint is original tan barn paint applied with a broom (probably the reaso the truck has lasted 74 years) An it holds chicken crates, 1 with chickens, 1 with rats and it has legs so we can carry oru chairs and the wind up RCA phonograph underneath.

Still has original engine, trans, wheels and interior. But not good enough for HPOF.

post-32318-143138043741_thumb.jpg

Guest Dean_H.

Those are some pretty ugly old trucks. I too am known for driving some rough stuff.

I bought this Ford dump truck a few years back because I needed a dump truck for a yard clean-up job. I never fixed it up but rather sold it as it sat. I decided it was easier to just mount a hoist on my old Chevrolet.

forddump.jpg

Here is a picture of my Chevrolet. This picture was taken about 1990. I drove this truck a lot - probably 200,000 miles (the speedometer never worked). I changed the motor three times and installed a high geared rear end in it. Still use it today, but not so much.

oldchev.jpg

Guest Dean_H.

My wife and I spotted this out of place truck in the Bay Area traffic back in 2005. Just for fun we snapped a picture of the colorful old guy.

truck880OaklandMay2005.jpg

Ohh Yesss, So tan it tis..... smile.gif It must be that Farmall Red grill, or maybe the broom paint job,that had the Judges shaking their narrow minded heads. wink.gif Some have no vision to see the beauty within an ugly old truck. To tell the truth, I like it too. grin.gif Dandy Dave!

Say Dean, My cousin had a 1965 Chevy pickup that had the same cab and nose as your old truck. He spent a lot of time fixing it, and then drove it as an every day driver back in the 80's and 90's. To bad that the North East salt finally got to it a second time, and with that, he sold it. whistle.gif Dandy Dave!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1937hd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave, it is old enough to be on the showfield at Hershey, if it was mine I'd have my entery fee in the mail by now. After all the AACA is into diversity, and attracting new younger members. </div></div>

Heh heh- they'd "gig" you for not having 50 year old dirt in the truck's fender wells!

Glad you like it.... Maybe I should just say it has "character", rather than lable it as being just plain "Ugly".

Here some more photos of my F-250 4X4 for you lovers of "Trucks with Character."

You can really see where I welded the cab top to the bottom in this one. 100_1610275.jpg