Can a Chevy guy be happy with a Model A

Guest don1953

Guest Don_Birdsong

Hello,

I have been a Chevrolet fan and driver for years.I have been looking for some different Chevy models everything from the late '20s to the '60s for my first antique but I really liked the 1931 Chevrolet Coupes. Problem is I haven't been able to find a '31 that I could afford or wasn't chopped up or a complete basket case.

In the past I would have said I'm not interested in a Ford but recently I've run across a couple Model A's.One in particular in not far from home and some what affordable.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

I've never limited myself to being a "chevy guy", "ford guy" "mopar guy" or "whatever kind of car guy".... I like and enjoy all antique cars"... and currently own both Chevy's and Fords. However, our 1931 Ford is one of our favorites for touring. It is a fun car to drive and we tour long distance extensively in ours.

One change I have made is replace the generator with an 6V alternator. There are cars that can go faster, but if I want to go faster than 45-55 mph, I'll drve my modern because the trip evidently isn't for touring pleasure if I need to run faster.

We tour a lot with no problems. However, if there are any problems, the 28-31 Fords are very simplistic emchanically and problems can often be taken care of quickly and inexpensively. Parts are readily available in original and reproduction.

Growing up my father had Model A's, even in the late 60's and early 70's parts were easy to get. As the owner of a 31 Chevy I do have to say that I think that the Chevy is an overall better made car, however with that said when something breaks you have to search for parts. The wood in the Chevy is the biggest problem. They are also known to snap axles. The original carbs are problematic, and are very expensive to fix and find in working order. I do think that cost wise you can purchase a Chevy for less than a Model A. There is something to be said when parts are easy to get. If I had to do it again, I would still have that six cylinder in my gararge.

Again this is just my opinion, I am not looking for a full blown argument

John

Most of my modern cars have been GM products. I tow my Model A Ford behind a Chevy Tahoe. Most of my Antique Cars have been Fords and almost all of them have been Model A Fords. I have a fellow Chapter Member who has a 1931 Chevrolet. He has had a much worse time locating parts and getting repairs made with the Chevrolet than I have had with Model A Fords. Yes, you can be happy with a Model A Ford!

The parts argument is weak. If you want something that's easy to buy parts for, get a Corolla. I have little problem finding Franklin parts. I had a Model T, and the ease of locating parts took all the challenge out of it. My opinion.

If you aren't sure if it will make you happy, find someone who will let you take a nice long drive in a Model A. They are a lot of fun, but it seems like everyone has one. I like to be different.

Keep looking for your Chevy. When you find it, it will probably be cheaper than a comparable Ford. There was recently a nice original '31 Landau Phaeton in CA for under $20k. Now that's different!

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/chevrolet/unspecified/620883.html

Steve, there was no argument about the parts it's a fact. Some people don't like to wait or hunt, just stating the facts, let him decide. Like I said I would not give up my Chevy,

a downside for Model A's is the gastank built into the cowl, they can be a problem when they rust

John

The only thing that I can think of that would hinder you from a Model A Ford purchase would be the lack of room in the driver's seat if you are a larger person. I ride in a friend's 1929 A fordor and he isn't that much larger than I am (medium frame) and he has trouble getting behind the wheel and being comfortable. I hate riding in the passenger side front seat because of the way it forces you to sit up in a rigid position. Maybe I am the only one who is uncomfortable in one, but that has been my experience. My 1931 Dodge coupe has loads of room and is VERY comfortable to ride or drive or ride in. Also there is no messing with spark and throttle on a Dodge such as mine and it makes it easier to focus on what's going on outside the car.

Ah but remember happiness is but a state of mind grasshopper. If one were to dare open themselves up to the many differences one encounters within their everyday surroundings and take that awkward step out of their comfort zone to experience the many variations that are actually out there, one may just find more pleasure and contentment from those actions and experiences. Take the risk, get the ford…

Have you driven or ridden in a 4 banger? You'd better, especially if you have ridden in a 6 cyl. Please don't throw dirt at me, but I really don't care for a 4 cyl early car that I want to drive a LOT. It's the blasted vibration. The first A I rode in 35+ yrs ago, vibrated so bad that the side glass ratted enough to wonder if it would shatter. My 32 Ply PB 4 cyl conv was only slightly better even though it had the "Floating Power" anti-vibration system. I actually sold it as it was not fun to drive in modern secondary road speeds. Plymouth dumped the 4 for 33 and it's all about giving the customers a better car/engine.

A friend with 2 A's has one with a counterbalanced crankshaft and claims it's worse that his other stock A??

In my fading memory, I think my old 29 Desoto "6" roadster was pretty smooth at cruising speeds.

Like was said; if your dream is Chevy, find one..they are out there and some sellers are running scared due to the news.

I am now going to try a 32 Nash six. SEVEN main bearings! Aluminum pistons and rods. I can't wait to get enough fixed to take it for a run.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: F&J</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 32 Ply PB 4 cyl conv was only slightly better even though it had the "Floating Power" anti-vibration system.</div></div>

If your Plymouth vibrated, there was something wrong with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Braverman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: F&J</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 32 Ply PB 4 cyl conv was only slightly better even though it had the "Floating Power" anti-vibration system.</div></div>

If your Plymouth vibrated, there was something wrong with it. </div></div>

A former ASE mechanic rebuilt the motor with new Egge pistons, rebore, etc. That would be me.

If they were so vibration free, then why put all that weird motor mounting hardware on it? and why was the motor discontinued in favor of a larger more expensive to produce one, ...in the worst part of the Great Depression?

I even met up with a group of PB guys at Hershey in 86. They all ran a gear carrier from an early 50s Plymouth to get the vibration in a different MPH, so they could cruise without staying in that "spot" where it vibrated.

Guest windjamer

Don im a gm guy, but I would take a litle A coupe with rumble seat in a heart beat. Gosh, maby I should call gaslight and just order the parts to build one.

F&J,

Not trying to "throw dirt" at you, but if the Model A engine vibrated enough to rattle the windows, there was something wrong with that engine. I have owned several Model A Fords. I have never experienced that.

Like any car, you can't judge them all by an experience with one in bad shape. If correctly restored, you will not have that problem in a Model A.

I've had a 31 Chevrolet for over 40 years. Been on 11 Glidden Tours. Nine in my Chevy and two in my 1930 Model A. There is no comparison between the two. I sold the Model A. The Chevy is much better driving, ride, and brakes. Some say the wood in a Chevy is a big problem. My Briggs body Model A had just as much wood in it as my 31 Chevy. It is true you may need to look a little harder for Chevy parts but it is worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MCHinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">F&J,

Not trying to "throw dirt" at you, but if the Model A engine vibrated enough to rattle the windows, there was something wrong with that engine. I have owned several Model A Fords. I have never experienced that.

Like any car, you can't judge them all by an experience with one in bad shape. If correctly restored, you will not have that problem in a Model A. </div></div>

I guess I am not explaining the "vibration" good enough. There is a certain RPM at which these motors vibrate. If you just look at one particular car and year...a 32 Ford.. A 4 cyl 32 has some sort of vibration dampner? attached to the firewall, and the 32 V-8 has none.

The vibration I am talking about is reduced by the number of cylinder firings per revolution. Porsche went a different route in the 1930s with his horizonatally opposed 4 cyl design to help cancel out some of the pulse problems. There is no comparison between Dr. Porsche's design, compared to the inline watercooled motor the Audi/VW introduced to the US in 1974 in the Fox and Dasher, and then the VW Rabbit in 1975. Those motors had that "spot" in the RPM band where rattles were a common complaint.

Some modern small motors have a counter-rotating shaft to help smooth the pulses.

Here is a way to "see" the vibration that I am talking about. Take a polishing cloth, bunch it up on your hood with one of the loose corners sticking out. Now run the engine speed up VERY slowly through all of the normal driving RPMs. At some point you will see the corner of the rag start a dance. It's more impressive with a glass of water smile.gif

One thing most people don't think about is that a 4 cyl only fires two cylinders for each revolution of the crank, and at 180* apart; a 6 cyl fires 3 cylinders at 120* apart....that's my basic explaination of my first post. I have always had cars that origanally sold at entry level pricing, but someday I'd love to feel the smoothness of an early V12 or V16 smile.gif

After too many decades slipping past, i cannot recall the car maker that claimed you could "balance a nickle on the cylinder head". So, yes there were vibration issues back in the day.

F&J, I have noticed just what you're speaking of. The '32 Ford pu I bought recently has those vibration issues. Some say, well, it's old engine issues that have been corrected since then.

Not true, I've owned two Vegas in the past(Don't laugh at me! frown.gif ), and both of them had vibration problems, not quite as badly maybe, but they were still there.

Wayne

F&J

You said:

"The first A I rode in 35+ yrs ago, vibrated so bad that the side glass ratted enough to wonder if it would shatter."

I stand by my statement that there was something wrong with that engine.

I am driving a 2006 Ford Police Interceptor. I can drive it in a manner where I can feel "some vibration" somewhere in the car. You can do that with about any car.

Just don't bad mouth all Model A's on the basis of one that needed engine work and not expect me to object. wink.gif

.....and here all this time I thought all those rattles, clanks, and squeaks were part of the nostalga and fun of an early automobile.....I've worked on quite a few Model "A"s and loved everyone. All were reliable within reason and fun to drive, squeaks, rattles, and all.

That said, I would not trade my 15 Buick for one any day of the week. Because the Buick is rare, different, and a real head turner.

I do not have a Model A in my stable at this time, but that is not to say if one came along very reasonable that I would not go for it.

Get a buddy to let you try one and then you will know. smile.gif Dandy Dave!

<-----

No vibration problems there to speak of. I've read that the Model A is a smoother riding car. It's been too many years since I rode in one to make a fair comparison.

I don't have problems finding parts. I have been told for many years though that Ford parts are easier to find but not necessarily cheaper. I wouldn't know about that as I have never compared prices between the two.

My car is loud though and I'm told it sounds now as it did when new.

To the original question, can a Chevy man enjoy a Ford? Of course he can, but he may never be truly happy with the purchase if he's always wanted a Chevy.

Friends don't let friends drive Model A's grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you've ever done two 140-mile days back to back in hilly country in a 1907 one-lung Cadillac, you'll never feel a Model A vibrate again.

</div></div>

<span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="font-size: 20pt">LOL.....My point exactly.... laugh.gif Dandy Dave!</span> </span>

I had the privlege of riding in the back seat of an 07 Caddy while adjusting the carburetor under load a number of years ago. what a ride! laugh.gif Dandy Dave!

Have you tried Gary Wallace? I don't have the link to his website but here's his ph no.

314-293-1991

He specializes in Chevy 4s. I get almost all my parts from him. He's reliable and honest.

Guest Hinckley

I have wanted a Model A since learning to drive. Even though I have never owned one through writing about them and interviewing owners their shortcomings have become well known.

Still, with the exception of the Model T, I do not believe any antique car has a larger fan base or better availability of parts. The advantages of an A over a T for daily driving are numerous.

With all of this said I can think of many cars built during this period that are more advanced than an A but can not of think of one with more potential for fun on a budget.

Now, does anyone have a 1931 Model A truck for sale? I would like one in good mechanical condition but with the exception of rust or severe damage am not concerned about body or interior condition.

There are the remains of a 1926 Chevy 4 truck not far from here in a junk yard. Not much left for a body but the motor, trans, steering column, and rearend are still there. Cowl, hood, front fenders, there but very rough. I know the engine is missing the head as a friend of mine bought it several years ago. The cylinders were still clean when the head was pulled.

Block did not appear to have any cracks. The yard is in Sheffield Mass. You chevy guys have any interest? Here is the number to the yard. Meilkey's (413) 229-7762. I think there is also a Chevy 6, around a 1930 doddle bug there also.

There is the remains of another chevy 6 light truck on a farm that is about 6 miles from here that I think could be had for the taking. also very rough, but parts are parts. smile.gif Dandy Dave!

The Chevy six sounds real good also, when tunned right it sounds deep and throaty like an old Harley.

Here on Long Island there is an event every September at Sagamore Hill (Teddy Roosevelt's Home) a non-judged event open for stock original post-war cars. It brings out about 123-150 cars, and I had the only Chevy there, last year there were only two of us. There had to be at least 15-20 model A's and at least another 10 Fords. They did make a lot of Chevy's just are not that many around.

I was lucky, I found my car in the VCCA monthly magazine, (Generator and Distributor) for $4,200 about 75 miles from my home and the car was never off Long Island. It is a nice driver that needs an interior. I was looking for a early 30's Chevy or Ford. This car was the right price

Have fun either way

John