Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

24 Excellent

About 21raceabout

  • Rank
    Senior Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Restoration Specialties in PA (www.restorationspecialties.com) also sells Tee rubber seals by the foot.
  2. Not a Buick but I suspect windshield might work the same way. To open for ventilation, the top and bottom panels rotate clockwise as viewed from the driver's side of car; in other words the bottom edges of both panels rotate forward like a venetian blind. The "h" shaped rubber seal between the top of the bottom panel and the bottom of the top panel is fitted to the top edge of the bottom panel with the lip (tall portion of the "h") towards the back. This makes sense in the event of accident that the passengers have whatever protection the rubber seal strip might provide instead of striking
  3. 21raceabout

    Brand of Axle

    Clearly wasting my time.
  4. 21raceabout

    Brand of Axle

    Get yourself a copy of the book "Mercer Magic" by Clifford Zink published in 2015 by the Roebling Museum. This book is by far the most accurate and complete history of the Mercer automobile. The book was thoroughly researched with the help of Tim Kuser (Mercer historian and grandson of the company treasurer) and Fred Hoch. Yes, Mercer did use Continental and Beaver engines - but only in the first few years of production cars. They used their own proprietary engine for the Type 35 Raceabouts, and Type 45 racers where they had so much racing success.
  5. I believe the original post said the car was owned by an individual who lived in Ohio. I don't see any other posts "below this one" discussing California...? In any case, neither chassis S/N 1287 nor engine S/N 1287 show up as a survivor in the roster.
  6. There is an (intern)national roster of Mercer cars/owners kept by a member of the Mercer Associates. The list is not made public out of respect for the privacy of the owners. In 1954 there were 106 cars identified; the current list has just over 140 cars. I don't know when your grandfather sold his car, but I checked and his name does not show up in any of the lists. In order to see if his car survived you really need to know it's chassis/engine serial number or possibly have the names of subsequent owners. You might check with the AACA library to see if they have 1920/21 registrat
  7. Terry - As requested attached are 3 views of BAKER rim wedges from a 1915 Buick C-25. Note the faint "W" and "M" on either side of the bolt slot below the "BAKER" text. Paint is modern, color when found was rust. Regards;
  8. Bryan - Unfortunately, your offer came a little too late for me. I know folks may hold their nose, but at the time I didn't think I had any other option to get my next-to-the-barn basket case running again. It turned out that the shell for the C-25 and E-35 are outwardly the same size and style (other than the radiator itself is separable from the shell in later model). I had LA Radiator works here in Maine swap the outlet manifolds and another friend welded up the rivet holes in the sides of the E-35 shell and attach a couple long fender bolts the bottom of the shell so as to mount it like
  9. Heat. I recall heating up similar flange on C-25 gearbox with the puller already in place. Puller not super tight to avoid damage as strength of flange material goes down with temperature. Will likely have to replace felt seal when finished.
  10. It's not a Mercer Series 5 part...
  11. I can't begin to imagine the tremendous pressure that the Hershey Region and the National HQ office have been under in these trying times. I applaud the courage they have demonstrated to make the tough decisions that they had to make. It must be very frustrating to have to operate in such a fluid situation with so many unknowns. Having said that, I had a few less critical, secondary items I thought could be addressed at some point. The events insert with the Antique Automobile magazine that arrived this week is still offering flea market spots for the 2020 fall meet..."Apply now"...
  12. Tim is having a little trouble logging in so asked me to post this on his behalf: The #11 with the 2 guys in it also appears in a photo on David Greenlees' web site, "Old Motor". It's an action shot clearly showing the radiator with that distinctive 11 on it. Much dust, and a big tree right next to the track. No ID as to when or where. I think I have seen a small image of this scene in a book, cannot find it now. The car clearly is a 1911 Raceabout. ID features of the 11's are the longer spring shackles on the front of the rear springs, and the flat spokes in the steeri
  13. Contacted Tim Kuser, he will be signing into the forum with some additional info.
  14. Seems to me the best source to answer this question would be Fred Hoch at Schaeffer & Long in Magnolia NJ. He does not do email or internet.
  15. I will forward a link to Tim Kuser.
  • Create New...