Cumberland Show Pictures

R W Burgess

Hi guys!

Rained all day today for my trip up here, but it's a beautiful place, shame I didn't get a room at the host hotel, but I drank some of their vodka tonight anyway. smile.gif

The Friday night barbecue and social was really good, with good food and great blue grass music. Didn't rain any at all after about 3pm so I had a nice drive over to our dinner spot. The owner had lots of Corvettes, mostly fuelees. Mid years almost all. I counted 8 fuelees and gave up.

Had a nice late night round table with the Bonds, Healds, and Beauchamps. Oh, and the Coxes from Virginia were nearby with our Exec. SteveM.

I have a few pictures for later in the week. 6:30 comes early up here guys! Night!!!! cry.gifsleep.gif

Wayne

PS, forgot to mention, the show looks excellent, with a beautiful pond background. Maybe I can get a few pics for our magazine editor.

A beautiful day on the show field guys. The grass was wonderful, the asphalt was...hard on my feet. Nothing a screwdriver wouldn't fix. smile.gif

It looked like most cars showed up for the meet, a real organized event. At judge's breakfast, I got more than I could eat. I judged class 5 on this day. Poor Jan (Smyrna, TN) team captain, is not sure she wants me on her team again. crazy.gif It was a good day. I have some wonderful pictures to put up later in the week. The lake and the mountain backdrop was breath taking.

Well, getting dressed up and pretty. Maybe I can get a few pictures up tomorrow night.

Wayne

We had a great time at the car show Saturday. The weather was great, there was a swarm of cars and I thought everything went fine. Although most of us are from the greatest place on earth, I gotta say that area is a real nice spot. I have posted some snapshots of the show here

http://rides.webshots.com/album/563466839RxmmeR

Two panoramas of the show are posted here,

http://www.rustyrestorations.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=730

Full size versions are viewable if you click on number by full size in the top right of the screen. Be warned, the panoramas are about 2M each and may load slow.

Enjoy

Bill

Guest windjamer

What a wonderful spot for a car show. Just wish the weather had been a little warmer.The folks in MD.done a clasic rain dance and kept the rain gods away all day. I think Dave Berg may have frightened them. I cant wate for the results to be posted. I was back in Binghamton befor the banquit ended so I dont know if I got my senior. I did earn some browney points,I saw a pretty 69 Pont. f/bird with unauth. lic. plate frames. It wasnt a class I judged so I felt free to warn the owner befor the judging started and I gave them a copy of the judging manual.Never saw parts come off a car so fast and with out air tools.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: windjamer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did earn some browney points,I saw a pretty 69 Pont. f/bird with unauth. lic. plate frames. It wasnt a class I judged so I felt free to warn the owner befor the judging started and I gave them a copy of the judging manual.Never saw parts come off a car so fast and with out air tools. </div></div>

Good for you wj. laugh.gif And it is even okay before judging starts to let owners in the class you are judging know of items that they can take care of. Just be fair and let any and all owners in your class know what they need to do. Once you tell them then it is up to them to decide what to do. Leave the item or remove it.

A big thanks to Bill Clarke for his pictures. I'll be adding a Cumberland Folder in the photo gallery as soon as I get a chance. Just got home and the Northern Neck Region members are wondering where their newsletter is??? confused.gifblush.gif

I just want to add my favorite picture of the weekend, other than the panoramic skyline that Bill put up. This is a 1912 Maxwell going for its Repeat Preservation in Class 09. Steve and Pamela Heald from New York own this wonderful brass vehicle. I'm sure you have seen them in the AACA National Magazine before, because they dress the part, as below.

The_Healds.jpg

I'd like to take this time to also thank the Queen City Region for putting on a wonderful show. They had many activities during the week, including train rides, and a barbeque at a local collector's homestead.

We also learned last night that a local Street Rodder Club gave Queen City a lot of help putting on this show, even though they were not able to show their cars, as we do not have a class for them. Even so, it's good to know that there are other Car Nuts that are available to help out AACA Regions put on meets and tours. Keep that in mind the next time your region wonders how they could ever host an event like this.

Say, "Yes We Can!"

smile.gif

I'll do my best to add more pictures as the week goes by. I've got bunches of them, some maybe even embarrassing. whistle.gif

Wayne

If you ever see these two dudes show up on your door step, don't let those smiles fool you. The black outfits should explain everything to you. eek.gifgrin.gif

two_bad_dudes.jpg

Time to add some color to this post. Judy and Earl Beauchamp were dressed in their finery at the Awards Dinner. The "Silver Fox" mentioned that he heard some talk of the ladies liking his silver mane! whistle.gifsmile.gif

Earl_and_Judy.jpg

Hey Wayne, glad you made it home safe and sound. Susan and I just got in -rain all the way home (our MGs were happy). What a great show in a fabulous location. Don Reid and all the hardworking members of the Queen City Region deserve a big thanks for hosting such a wonderful event. Smiling faces everywhere. I still can't believe how the clouds parted and let the sun shine in for the show on Saturday. Just wish I'd had more time to take photos! The Friday steam train ride was a highlight for us, and all those Vetts - wow!

Terry

Was a very nice spot for a show. Was wondering if they got permission to shut down one lane of the county road for a mile or so to park trailers or if they are asking forgiveness today.

We decided to head up 220 to NY instead of taking the interstate. Missed a turn and decided to just let the GPS find our way to 220. It took us down a road that kept getting smaller and smaller. I was glad we didn't meet anyone because there wasn't room to pass two vehicles. It curved around and up and down through some beautiful back country. I was trying to decide if I should turn around and back track, when it dropped us right back on 220, avoiding the short run down I68, I had planned on taking to 220.

Guest windjamer

Nice to meet you at the b/fast Wayne, I would have liked to get togather for a bs session and a beer,but I know you where as busy as I. Maby next time. Glad you had a safe trip home not like the Soltice. Hey isnt 1130pm past your bed time??? You need to conserve. Dick

Wayne, that '56 Chevy belongs to Charlie Pergl. Charlie sells the antique gas pump reproduction parts at Hershey. If you ever get near that car, look underneath it. That car is as nice underneath as it is on top. Charlie went as far as to have the part numbers painted on the frame.

Back 2005 at the AGNM in Colorado, my dad happened to be around and helped Charlie unload the car. Once my dad and I climbed under the car to unhook the straps, I looked up and couldn't believe what I saw. Without ever judging that car, I would almost bet that car is extremely close to being a 400 pointer.

I missed West Peterson this weekend, but his car was there. blush.gif

Those wheels look unique to me. Are they special, West?

Wayne

packard1.jpg

PS; Be sure to add your pictures to the Photo Gallery. There is a new section listed as Eastern Spring Meet, Cumberland, Maryland, for your convenience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: windjamer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw a pretty 69 Pont. f/bird with unauth. lic. plate frames. It wasnt a class I judged so I felt free to warn the owner befor the judging started and I gave them a copy of the judging manual.Never saw parts come off a car so fast and with out air tools. </div></div>

I helped a form member (olds442) by giving him some tape for his 6,900 mile original Camaro as his hatch shocks wouldn't stay up. He hid the tape pretty well.

We had a great time and the show was well organized with a beautiful setting. I wasn't too fond of parking with the daily drivers in the corner of the nowhere spectator parking lot. I certainly understand the reasoning to not park our class on the wet show field where we were originally designated.

Guest windjamer

Ron I was going to wear my forum pin and walked right out with out it. I think we should make a habit to pin it on for every nat. event we go to. Theres a lot of members we talk to,sure would be nice to put a face to some of the names.

I left mine Home too, Dick, a bad habit of mine, one of many.

I'm thinking of making business cards with the web site address listed at the bottom. Everytime I mention the web site among the many AACA members I run into, I more often than not get a blank stare. We need to promote this part of the AACA a little better, in my opinion.

Wayne

Guest windjamer

Pat here in Binghamton we dont refer to Chuck as Charley or Mr. He is comonly refered to as Perfect Pergil. I ware a bib for drool when I visit his shop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I missed West Peterson this weekend, but his car was there. blush.gif

Those wheels look unique to me. Are they special, West?

Wayne

packard1.jpg

PS; Be sure to add your pictures to the Photo Gallery. There is a new section listed as Eastern Spring Meet, Cumberland, Maryland, for your convenience. </div></div>

Wayne

That is either a 1935 or '36 Pakard, and what you're looking at are wire wheel covers. While I like the wheel covers, these are painted a little too brightly for my taste. Plus, I'd remove the white sidewalls, driving lights and badge bar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I left mine Home too, Dick, a bad habit of mine, one of many.</div></div>That's okay, I didn't see David with one, and now that you mention it, mine was in my pickup underneath the siren box. Being that I never go to a meet without my pickup, I never take it out.

.....Actually I was waiting for 'oldscarnut' to put his on first. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'd remove the white sidewalls, driving lights and <span style="color: #FF0000">badge bar</span>. </div></div>

Badge bar??? I was sure that was a tow bar, you know for those beside the road adventures???? blush.gifwhistle.gifgrin.gif

Wayne

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim Bollman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was a very nice spot for a show. Was wondering if they got permission to shut down one lane of the county road for a mile or so to park trailers or if they are asking forgiveness today.

Missed a turn and decided to just let the GPS find our way to 220. It took us down a road that kept getting smaller and smaller. I was glad we didn't meet anyone because there wasn't room to pass two vehicles. It curved around and up and down through some beautiful back country. I was trying to decide if I should turn around and back track, when it dropped us right back on 220, avoiding the short run down I68, I had planned on taking to 220. </div></div>

Jim, did they run out of parking space for the trailers then use the road for over-flow? GPS units are a great tool.

My GPS has been great when I am towing. I have set some of it's parameters to be more "trailer friendly" when it comes to certain situations.

Sometimes that means a longer route but it has also prevented me from getting into tight spots.

Wayne, thanks for posting up the photos for those of us who were unable to attend. Great looking cars in a beautiful setting.

By chance, any photos from the Friday night dinner?

So, anyone know what the final numbers were as to the turnout of vehicles in attendance?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I left mine Home too, Dick, a bad habit of mine, one of many.

I'm thinking of making business cards with the web site address listed at the bottom. Everytime I mention the web site among the many AACA members I run into, I more often than not get a blank stare. We need to promote this part of the AACA a little better, in my opinion.

Wayne </div></div>

GOOD idea with the business cards.

Maybe the editor of our fine magazine can help out with spreading the word in the magazine about the web site/forums???

A few inches in the magazine every other issue or so might go a LONGGGGG WAY towards getting the word out.

After the on-line registration changes are complete a column on the changes to the site might be a good idea (if that is not already in the works).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Charlie, I've got a lot of Friday evening pictures to post. I'll let everyone know after I catch up with work around here.

Wayne </div></div>

Thanks Wayne, no hurry. Being out of town for a few days always means there is catching up to do at work, home, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: charlier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Maybe the editor of our fine magazine can help out with spreading the word in the magazine about the web site/forums???

A few inches in the magazine every other issue or so might go a LONGGGGG WAY towards getting the word out. </div></div>

Almost every issue has some sort of comment or invitation to visit the aaca.org website and forums. The issue that you will be receiving shortly (May-June) includes an editorial by me that is based on something I read on the forum.

I will try to make it more prevailant in the future. Based on your comment, it is obviously not being seen.

Well, guys, I've finally gotten time to upload some Cumberland pictures in the photo gallery. Hopefully, I'll finish tonight.

Wayne

This picture was from the Friday night barbecue. Just some of the Corvettes waiting for restoration. The black one was dual quad car.

DSC03508.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I got to the end of the line and came across the picture below. Now, you may ask yourself, "What in the world is this about?"

I could say it was some party!!! blush.gif

Pretty bad when clothes get mixed up, right guys?? crazy.gifwhistle.gifgrin.gif

Actually, these two ladies were just proving that their feet were the same size. Since I "NEVER" discuss women's feet sizes, eek.gif You'll have to find out the identities on your own.

DSC03708.jpg

+

+

+