Inspecting A Vehicle for a Fellow Hobbyist

Ron Green

I feel as though I am standing on the end of a gangplank and sort of jumping up and down. My friend lives in another state and has been looking for a older driver Corvette. He locally found a 1976 for 7K with over a 100K miles that needed a total restoration. Many years and dollars so I told him it wasn't worth it.

By chance Sunday I found him a 1985 two miles from my house for 7K, only 56K miles, just repainted, is in decent condition and runs really great. He asked me to go inspect it last evening, test drive it and if I liked it place a deposit on it and he would be up this weekend to pick it up.

I gave it a good once over however it was nighttime (took it to a car wash for lights) and was raining. I liked what I saw and how it ran. Hopefully he will too since he bought it whether he likes it or not. He seemed more excited then his wife when I called and gave him / them the good news.

Anybody else ever have to stick their neck out for a fellow hobbyist / friend like this?

I've looked at a few cars for other people but have never plunked down my own cash. That's a great way to lose a friend if things go wrong. Another good way to lose a friend is to announce to that friend's wife that you had procured a car for him.

Before I placed my final bid for our '55 Porsche on e-Bay I had made contact the the head of the Porsche Club in Hawaii. He knew the car and said it was fairly represented. I think that that's as far as you should have gone. I hope it works out.

The deposit was minimal and his wife knew (from him) he was probably going to buy it. He is the one who asked me to make a deposit on my judgement of the car since it was price low and would sell quickly. Hopefully I saved him 3 years and some $ from having to do a full blown restoration.

This is the first for me and was somewhat uncomfortable doing this as a favor however I think he will be happy. I'm sure that 5 people could look at a car and come up with 5 different opinions.

I'd happily look at any car for a fellow hobbyist, and have done so on numerous occasions. Though not an expert in every vehicle, I think we, as car guys, can pretty much see what's good and what isn't and the quality of work on any given car.

What I would never do is spend my own money for someone else, friend or not. I'll give you a report on the car, but then it's your job to close the deal. In this day of PayPal, wire transfers, etc., there's no reason why he couldn't use his own money and conduct the transaction with the seller himself. Unless there's a line of people waiting to buy the car (and an '85 Corvette isn't going <span style="font-style: italic">anywhere</span>), a deposit could probably wait until he came up to see it/purchase it/pick it up himself.

If your friend botches this, Ron, he won't be your friend any more, or at least things will never be the same between you. Personally, that's a risk I wouldn't take, but you're a high quality friend for sticking your neck out. Kudos.

PS: $7K seems like a lot of money for an '85 Corvette, no matter how nice (sorry '85 Corvette owners!). There aren't many Corvettes lower on the food chain than this one...

Guest windjamer

I drove 90 miles a mo. ago to look at a 70 duster 440 six pack. Price was ten grand. I spent five min on the car and told the buyer to pass.Not counting the bondo in the quarters, I looked under the trunk and evan in the dark I could see the trunk was roted and the gas tank was about to fall out. Buyer said no thanks and we went home. Next three weeks all I heard was how much to fix the trunk and quarters maby we should take anouther look. As a last favor to get him off the subject we went back, This time I pulled the carpet back by the kick panels. Hey look guy garage has a cement floor. You roal a tool under the car I can reach it from inside You make your own dis. Ill meet you outside.

There are certain unspoken rules about buying old cars; a couple of those are, don't buy at night, and don't buy in the rain. It is so difficult to see poor bodywork and paint in those conditions.

Ron, I do not say this to criticize you, but only to poke fun at myself. Once, living in New Orleans, I went to see a 1957 Thunderbird at night, in the rain. We drove it to a shopping center, with those strange yellow lights. Looked great to me, gave the guy a deposit. Next day went to pick up the car; the rear wheel wells were full of bondo, the white paint (which looked good under the lights) was all different shades; in other words, I made a mistake. But, man of my word and all that, I paid him for the car.

Actually, it turned out all right, traded car for a better '56 Bird later, but it was a lesson well learned.

Hope your friend is happy, one would have to be careful and know each other well to buy a car in such a manner.

Happy Motoring David Coco

I have done inspections on cars, boats, and other collectable things over the years for friends. It has gotten easier with digital cameras and the net. Sometimes I tell them to forget it sometimes I just make sure I have pictures of all the problem spots. Never left a deposit for anyone.

I have also had friends look at things for me. I try not to pin them down to much on opinion, mostly looking for conformation that the pictures I have gotten are telling the truth or to get pictures taken by my agent not the seller. Latest one I had looked at by a friend was my new tow vehicle. I had put a refundable deposit on it but wanted a friendly eye look it over and go for a ride in it before I flew 1500 miles to drive it home. He missed a couple of minor things but found a few others. The seller was willing to adjust the price for the defects and fix one and we were both happy.

Matt, we will know in 3 days as he is coming up with his truck and trailer and staying over for the night. He seems excited as Corvettes down his way seem to bring more dollars then around here. Granted it is only a 85 (76 is lower on the food chain in my opinion) but there were a few people interested in it so the decision had to be made and a few hundred dollars needed to hold it.

FYI he did have to talk me into this as I agree it not something I would have done however the car is in excellent condition for the price. He sold his other old cars and currently has a grand national 39 Caddy and wants a good driver / beater.

Jim, in today's world digital cameras are important however I have found from personal experience buying a car from pictures they can be very deceiving. Unfortunately my schedule did not allow a follow up visit for pictures or a daytime inspection.

I will post pictures Monday hopefully of the happy new owner or a close up of my wife's response to another vehicle in our garage. I better wait to tell her its not an automatic. smirk.gif

My quick thoughts:

1. No problem sticking your neck out,

2. If you use your own deposit $$, that's your exposure, can you afford to lose it if something goes sour,

3. Yes, use a digital camera or using a movie is better (better depth of field)

4. Never, never, never inspect something like this at night. Ron says his schedule didn't allow daytime visit/inspection. If you can't do it right, don't do it at all.

CCW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Granted it is only a 85 (76 is lower on the food chain in my opinion).</div></div>

Ron. Me thinks you're in the minority on that one. But I've been wrong before, probably will be wrong again.

Guest Dave Wyatt

I've inspected a few for friends, even made suggestions whether it was a good buy or not, but have always left the final decision up to the person. I always try to stay very neutral, just point out the facts as I see them, and never spend someone else's money. So far, so good.

Wes your probably correct but after driving my 72 Vette for 34 years and jumping into................should I say a modern one it seemed light years different, and much more people friendly.

Friartuck, I was burned buying my 5,748 original mile Amphicar by pictures. When I received the car I actually looked at the pictures of certain areas and then looked at the car and couldn't believe it was the same. You are correct regarding a daytime visit however he wanted me to go. I did give him a whole page full of info both good and bad.

Dave, I also try and remain neutral however talking him out of 3 years worth of hard work and 30K dollars restoring a 76 will hopefully prove me right.

I recently looked at two 56 Chryslers that were on EBay with pix and descriptions that were close enough to visit. All I can say is that pictures most certainly can lie and sellers can put a positive spin on the worst P.O.S. And they were PARTS cars........Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bhigdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently looked at two 56 Chryslers that were on EBay with pix and descriptions that were close enough to visit. All I can say is that pictures most certainly can lie and sellers can put a positive spin on the worst P.O.S. And they were PARTS cars........Bob </div></div>

I have looked at a number of vehicles in person during EBay auctions.

Let's just say the Ebay photos showed the best side of the vehicles.

I must have all the luck because so far, every, single, vehicle I have looked at has been mis-represented by the seller.

Pictures do lie!

This car the pictures looked good and the description from the seller was extremely favorable. To date it has taken me 1200 plus hours and over 12K, I haven't yet touched the paint or interior.

A few things the pictures didn't show: windshield was Lexan not glass, all other widows were busted and laying in pieces in the doors, quarters and door skins were rusty, tires were shot, top was missing including frame ($$$$$), etc. I can't blame the pictures on the numerous mechanical issues but they sure made the body look decent.

post-30758-143137957316_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$7K seems like a lot of money for an '85 Corvette, no matter how nice (sorry '85 Corvette owners!). There aren't many Corvettes lower on the food chain than this one...</div></div>True, but at this day and age $7,000 doesn't buy much of anything anymore.

Matt is right, though. The C4 series Corvettes, especially the 1984-85 models, are generally at the bottom. The cross-fire injection of the '84s tend to give problems, and both are severely hard riding cars. Interest in the C4s seems to pick up around the 1989 model year, and surpass the mid-to-late-'70s models in value.

Ron -

I have looked at cars for friends. It is almost the least I could do. In the end it is their decision to buy or not. I would do it again for good friends. At least you can tell them they should come look at it themselves to decide or save them the trip if it's a real POS.

I know about the pictures do lie thing too. I got taken on an Amphi from NJ. He stuck the horn in the snow to appear it was intact. It was far rustier than described. When I called him at his request, after the car arrived. I said "I think I paid too much".... CLICK! the phone was dead... and I never heard from him again.. My fault for not seeing it in person. I could blame it on Tommy and Lynne (in FL) because we stayed at their beach house in Florida too long instead of making the trip up north in the snow. DOH!

Well in 4 hours I am meeting him at our house with dinner planned latter. Depending how things go that may determine who is paying for dinner. sick.gif

Speaking with him last evening he said he was pricing the 85's out locally and they were selling from 7K to 14K. With this one having a 1 year old pretty good paint job, low milage, the 6 speed manual transmission and every factory option available for this year (and they all work) it is worth the money.

Pat, you are right that 7K doesn't buy much today and the restoration of the 76 would have been that times 3 plus many hours.

And Wes, now that you mention it I noticed that the ride was rather hard. Really hard!

Pics to follow.

Well the car turned out to a decent buy and in the daylight there were no surprises. It is loaded, even has heated mirrors, etc. The new owners (including his wife) were thrilled.

Lesson learned however is to take or make the time to inspect during daylight as Friartuck posted. My flashlight at night could have been dangerous.

Glad to say we are still friends (he bought dinner, twice). Will post pics tomorrow.

Wheres all the chrome, in the trunk?? kidding. Looks great, glad it worked out.. A member here was kind enough to look at a car for me, not sure i should mention names. Anyway, I was just looking to confirm the car was as advertised. Member gave me an on the spot over the phone very detailed synopsis of the condition. More than i could have asked for. I bought the 52 olds, I own another 52 olds, so i figured worst case I had parts. Upon arrival i was pleased, there were good surprises, and bad surprises. All in all, a good experience, i met some great people, and now i am an olds collector....mike

Quote: "All in all, a good experience, i met some great people, and now i am an olds collector....mike"

We are all in this together and helping each other out is important.

Sunday I found a local low milage 1988 Corvette (triple black) that is in absolute excellent condition. Even has a new top. It is a convertible, stick shift (4+3), ZR-1 wheels, new tires, brakes, and clutch for $8,500. I asked my friend if he was sick of the red one yet. smirk.gif