Which state has the most vanity plates?

rocketraider

http://www.wset.com/news/stories/1107/471735.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The tags generated more than 9.4 million dollars in Virginia last fiscal year.</div></div>

I contribute my share. I have them on three vehicles, plus a NASA Langley and a Tobacco Heritage which are also ten bucks extra a year.

I'm willing to bet that most of those vanity plates are here in Northern VA. Seems like every soccer-mom-driven SUV has some variation of "4R5SONS" or "R4KIDS" or something like that. I guess they're just trying to rationalize why they need that vehicle. Of course, whenever I see one, only the driver is inside...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joe_padavano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems like every soccer-mom-driven SUV has some variation of "4R5SONS" or "R4KIDS" or something like that. I guess they're just trying to rationalize why they need that vehicle. Of course, whenever I see one, only the driver is inside... </div></div>

You don't think four or five kids is a rational reason for a van or SUV?

... and let's see... if I drive my kids to school, or to the soccer field, or to band practice, I should then go home and get my VW Beetle so that you won't see me in my "empty" SUV.

confused.gif

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ted sweet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">vanity plates cost 25 bucks a year here in NY. I had 5 sets down to one set. </div></div>

Rhode Island's vanity plates used to cost $10 extra per year in the good old days........One of our Governor's bright ideas was to raise it to $60.00, and you had to pay for it in a 2 year installment $120.00 plus the regular registration, add another $60 and you almost had to re-morgage your home. We had 5 in our household at the time they were $10 each. Now we don't have any. I turned them all in when the price went up. Rhode Island is one of the very few states where they became hen's teeth. Everyone turned them in. BTW, that governor mentioned above eventually went to jail on racketeering. So did alot of other RI politicians..............

We do have a lot of them in NC, but I don't have any. NC allows up to 8 letters on personalized plates. Before his death, one of our older AACA members here used a personalized plate on the Mustang that he always said was his wife's. He always drove it, and they always entered it in our local show in her name. The plate was "HERZ".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey John, I'm surprised your car didn't pick one leg/wheel up. grin.gif</div></div>

That came to mind when I took that pic! She did say "AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" grin.gif

My 1969 Bonneville ragtop was....

RU4692.jpg

Read it as "Are you for 69 too?" smile.gif

And my 2nd 1966 Caddy ragtop was...

HAD1B4.jpg

Maybe I'm misreading your orignal thread, but my interpretation is which state has the most <span style="font-weight: bold">STYLES</span> of vanity plates, and not how many vanity plates people have.

To give you a rundown of how many plates that New York state has, I'll give you a breakdown:

Nascar teams - 39

Basketball teams - 30

Baseball teams - 3

Hockey teams - 3

Football teams - 3

Miscellaneous sport teams - 5

Organizational plate - 44 (Lions CLub, Elks club, etc.)

Regional plates - 18 (Hudson Valley, NYS, Finger Lakes, etc.)

University plates - 29

Military plates - 37

Emergency services plates - 7

Professional plates - 21 (MD, DDS, etc.)

That adds up to 239 types of vanity license plates for passenger vehicles only not to include motorcycles, taxis, ambulances, official plates. Plus you still have the regular plates, handicapped, and historic plates.

At my request, the state senator that represents my district has a bill in Albany to add two more vanity plates to the list.

1. The Bronze Star plate.

2. The Silver Star plate.

Right now I only have two vanity plates. I have the volunteer firefighter plates on my pickup, and the War on Terrorism Veteran's plate on the "Denver" Bronco. If the state passes the bill to allow for Bronze Star license plates, we're going to put those plates on our Army Jeep. There aren't a lot of people showing up to meets with Army Jeeps, but to find an Army Jeep with a Bronze Star plate will really throw people for a loop.

.....not that we're in to doing something different smirk.gifsmirk.gif

When I read the article in my local paper, I think it indicated that Virginia had the highest percentage of their total number of plates issued as vanity plates. Virginia was not the state with the highest number of individual vanity plates. I don't remember which state had the highest number of plates. North Carolina did not make any of the top lists that I noticed, but I know that we have our fair share of plates and different types of plates.

I was going to try to type a list like Ex98thdrill did, but I gave up.

If you want to see a state with a heck of a list of special registration plates check out these links: grin.gif

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_20/gs_20-79.4.html

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_20/gs_20-79.7.html

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_20/gs_20-81.12.html

These are not even all of the special plates. These statutes do not include the antique plates and a few others that I can think of.

I got my information of the NYSDMV website, and copied it over. I know that there are more variations of license plates just in New York than what used to be in the whole country back when I was a kid. From a law enforcement standpoint, you can't spot out of state plates as easy as you use to. For years New York had the gold plates with the blue lettering, where Pennsylvania was just the opposite. Of course your state has had the bi-plane license plates for a good 20+ years.

Pat, it was about how many personalized, eg custom order, plates. VA DMV offers close to 200 special interest plates, and all but a few of those can be personalized with your own letter/number combinations. Seems like any group that comes up with 350 prepaid subscriptions can get their own plate if they can talk a legislator into sponsoring it.

NC has changed their First in Flight plates from blue to red lettering this year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From a law enforcement standpoint, you can't spot out of state plates as easy as you use to.</div></div>

And just why would LE want to spot out-of-state plates easily? HMMM? wink.gif

I've left my share of out-of-state money in AL and SC. From what the kids tell me, if you go to Myrtle Beach in an out-of-state vehicle, you are going to leave some out-of-state money down there. I've heard rumours Myrtle Beach city government is catching heat from out-of-state parents about that practice too.

For years when New York State had the gold plates with blue letters you could spot a New York vehicle a mile away. When they switched to the Liberty plates back in 1986, that's when New York plates started blending in with everything else.

If you see out of state plates on a dark country road late at night, it raises your suspicion over local plates. As in someone who is really, really lost, or wanted for a serious crime. NOT to "target" someone.

MC could easily tell you that when one of his guys sees an out of state license plate parked behind a business (that is closed for the night) at 2 in the morning with out of state plates that things are usually not good at all. When every state had their own color combinations with no variations, it was a lot easier to spot an out of state plate. Pennsylvania has a green license plate where you can't really see the letters on the plate unless you're within shooting range.

Rocketraider, while it is a little off topic, I grew up (and still live) about an hour from Myrtle Beach. Myrtle Beach PD, and the SC Highway Patrol have had a reputation of targeting NC drivers for at least the 47 years that I have been alive.

Being a tourist oriented town, we are probably nicer to out of state drivers here than we are to the locals. On the subject of targeting, I suspect that my traffic officers give warnings to a lot more out of state drivers than they do to the locals.