All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. That is one beautiful engine. That Winton reminds me of the Locomobile Sportif of that era.
  3. When I was a kid in high school, and just getting into this hobby, somewhat over fifty years ago, I subscribed to Hemmings Motor News magazine, which in those days was about the size of a "Reader's Digest" if you are old enough to remember those (from about thirty years ago?). In study hall, I would read it from cover to cover almost every month! I was also reading almost every book on antique automobiles and automotive history that I could get my hands onto. So, even then, I was somewhat familiar with the Tucker and its history. One of the things that struck me then was how many Tucker parts were for sale! Several collectors had gotten ahold of a bunch of the leftover Tucker parts and were trying to make a few bucks selling them off to people with dreams of building one. Legend has it that the engine was used for some early helicopters? I won't claim to know about that, but I do know that a bunch of those engines were floating around the country, some still in their factory crates! I actually saw a couple of them myself at a couple of shows, "Tucker" name on the engines and all! Occasionally, at major swap meets, one could see doors and hoods, sometimes a grill or other distinctive pieces, being offered or just displayed. Clearly, that stuff was out there. Slowly, that stuff seemed to quietly drift away. I always figured a few people thought they could collect enough pieces to assemble another car. When this car first showed up about a decade or so ago, I figured that it was likely assembled from some hidden collection of some real pieces along with deep pockets fabricating whatever else they needed. I don't wish to disparage the man too much. Preston Tucker was a brilliant engineer, with an eye to the future. He was also a huckster, a bit of a conman, and often putting together shaky deals. I "believe" he was truly hoping to throw the automotive industry on its ear with his groundbreaking designs. But even with government grants and loans, use of aircraft manufacturing plants left empty by the end of the war, he couldn't quite pull that rabbit out of his hat. I suspect that he ordered a lot of pieces to construct not just the first fifty cars, but a good start on the next fifty. How many pieces are still out there? We'll probably never know. While a few pieces might make a nice addition to display in a private collection? I do hope nobody else foolishly tries to build another one.
  4. A beautiful car. Budget a little extra time when you take her out. Your going to be having lots of talks with strangers. Thanks for sharing your interest, research and purchase with us.
  5. Today
  6. I am going to guess mourning ritual. Mirrors and other shiny objects were covered in that era.
  7. The definition of a good deal: When both the buyer and seller are happy! Congratulations on your new pre war car…..only problem……..you need more than one!
  8. Check over in the Riviera Forum as one of the members sells a suitable hi-torque mini starter that would suit. (Thinking it may be Tom Telesco but not 100% sure) cheers and good luck Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀
  9. Interesting, what is the reason for covering the headlamps and sidelamps?
  10. Wow, you seem to be pretty good at this. I'll do that tomorrow because I do think the steering column flange is at an angle. Yes, I looked at my pic again above and the lower flange is at that angle so that must be right. Boy was I lost on this one! Thanks. Marc.
  11. A friend had a 1970's Australian ? RHD Galaxy convertible. That was a fun car.
  12. https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/carolina-squat-ban-in-south-carolina-puts-drivers-at-risk-of-losing-their-license/ar-AA1nGAc5?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=c5432b97ca7441e8a31d3673d9d71fc3&ei=26
  13. Correct side of the hangy-down bracket, but turn the rod around so that it bends toward the driver and 90 degrees to the steering column. Just unbolt it and flip it over.
  14. This is the first time I have ever seen the word "fun" in reference to Galaxies or LTDs.
  15. Marcel Lefebvre-Despeaux driving his Amilcar - Paris 1927
  16. You can check with the Martins at Centerville Auto. They sell used parts, but you'll probably have to call to see what they have on hand. https://www.nailheadbuick.com/starters
  17. Very nice car. Pictures of the front chromework would help sell the car, if the chrome is as nice as the rest of the car. The pot metal on these tends to pit, and if the grill, and hood ornament, door handles, and taillights are pitless, the car is a buy. They are wonderful drivers and beautiful to look at.
  18. Hello did you ever get any info the the Holman Moddy engine ?
  19. I think it’s called a strut, please see photos- I have one but would like to purchase a pair, left and right sides with springs #2 & #6 thanks for looking
  20. I'm from the San Diego La Jolla area and I didn't know they had a car show there. I would have thought that it would be impossible to park all of those cars. La Jolla cove area is notorious for having parking spaces tight as a drum!
  21. As I’m sure most folks have already seen, I picked up a free roached 1950 Nash Ambassador. I was able to get the hood open today and found a very complete decent looking inline-6. It probably ran when parked, the plugs are fresh and the oil was very clean which was surprising. I’m betting it’s solid, will need some TLC to be perfect of course but it looks good and well taken care of. It’s a bit soon to be asking as I haven’t fully looked the car over to see if it’s worth saving as a whole, and I haven’t fully decided if I want to start parting.. but should I decide to pull it what can I do with it? Whatever I put it in, I don’t want the hydramatic behind it. Nothing personal against it, I’d just prefer a simpler 3-speed or so but I’m not sure what bolts up to it yet. Any help appreciated, thank you!
  22. Wasn't it Elon Musk's grandpa the creator of the Tucker? Or is that just a rumor?
  23. I can guarantee you, I don't see these on the road everyday, week, year, decade, and maybe century. Very great car!
  1. Load more activity