New Fan Hub replacement

I am seriously considering a run of "Fan Hub Conversions". I have a CNC house lined up to make the aluminum hub and steel shaft, and I have sealed ball bearings lined up as well. My intent would be to provide this as a kit. The hub the shaft and the bearings. The user would need to drill the (8) fan mounting holes in the aluminum flange, press the bearings in and press the shaft in. The user would use his old hub and fan. It looks like I would be right at or very close to $160 each plus shipping. What I am trying to gauge is how many people would be interested in buying one as I will need to make a run of 50 sets or so. So please speak up if in fact you would be interested in one of these. Note that Bob's Automobilia is out of stock and not clear if they can get any more.

Thanks

Tom Dierks

Looks like I may have jumped the gun. My further research shows that this kit may only be good for 1925-1926 Master and 1927 series 120-128. If anyone has further interchangeability for these please feel free to weigh in.

Tom

So I need help from members with 1925 to 1932 cars. In trying to come up with something of a universal kit for the conversion of the fan hub to sealed bearings. I need help in confirming the dimensions of the various versions out there. 

This is what I need for all 1925 to 1932 cars,  Just tell me the year and model and the dimensions below.

SHAFT:

overall length length of shaft-

distance to center of groove from the rear end of the shaft-

diameter of shaft-

PULLEY:

overall length of pulley piece-

diameter of the pulley where the leather belt would ride-

diameter of the pulley body for V belt versions (not the V groove)-

width of pulley where the leather belt would ride-

location from the flange end to first lip of pulley for leather belt style-

location from the flange end to center of V belt groove-

It looks as if possibly one body with bearings could be designed to fit all of these applications, and possibly one universal shaft could be engineered also. But need the data to put into my spread sheet. So if anyone has these kicking around or on the car please take some measurements and let me know what you have.

Thanks very much.

Tom

599d9d4304dae_Pulleylocation.jpg.680756649efb36ebd2c927b097f6e6fc.jpg599d9d421e9c7_GrooveLocation.jpg.ed481ee6f0bd4c7d149fd413bb00e62d.jpg

Tom

I've already done the conversion but can offer some tips. I think!!!

1925 is the oddball part of course. Hugh's part listing is for the hub only  which I think is actually for the innards part you are replacing .

The parts book also lists the fan shaft  ( 1925 Std has its own single listing due to a different fan bracket)  separately and there are only 8 shaft  listings covering 1925 to 1932 so your spreadsheet won't be that big!

The fan driven pulley which is what we are calling the hub or outer casing has many more options but shouldn't be relevant to what you are making as long as the owner has the original pulley. In other words, I think you just need to collect relevant fan shaft measurements. I think the more important measurement is from the front of the shaft ( gear end) to the centre of the groove and opposed to the measurement you are seeking. Your circlip or retainer at the front of the shaft where the gear is will be the same for all shafts. Assuming all hubs ( guts) are the same,  what locates the outer pulley is distance from the front circlip retainer to the groove in the shaft. 

Anything hanging past the groove towards the engine just sticks through the bracket and really isn't relevant.

Warning when drilling the 8 holes in the hub that they are not evenly spaced. It is designed to fit one way only ! Ask me how I know!

Photos attached showing some difference between 1925 and 1926 Std. I would send you some measurements but, as you can see, after I was done , the shaft came in handy as  punch for getting something else apart!

Brad

20170824_222303.jpg

20170824_222319.jpg

Edited by bradsan (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Tom,

The hub shaft from my 31, 60 series, measures 4.790 overall. From the gear face to the middle of the groove 4.000 and .790 from the middle of the groove to the end. My measuring is not the best so use it as an approximation.

I would not need one at this point, a great guy on this forum fixed me up.

Dave

• 6 months later...

I put together a drawing of my fan hub parts and the hub parts that I need to have made.  Buick made a lot of subtle changes to these hubs, although they are all basically the same.  These are done in Powerpoint if anyone wants a copy to edit.  I do know that you can order these hubs from Tony Bult.  If you have any data for me to update and add to these, I can.  I also included what I started with from Bryan Stanley.  The 30-31 Buick Fan hub is slightly different from the early hubs.   Included is also the listing of shafts and driving pulley as Brad suggested. This should get you started on your fan hub replacement project.   Hugh

2122771598_FanHub1.thumb.JPG.e3a0fda3d76557896eb92267a17663e9.JPG

5aaecb13d2366_FanHub2.thumb.JPG.816f49db432b33346a0a6e00328b9d3f.JPG5aaecb30cb767_FanHubConversion.thumb.jpg.8279ae1bd172e996a01bb84dc771de3d.jpg

5aaf495086736_FanShaftsnippet.thumb.JPG.d79c099a29deb15ca0f0fb0cb88c760e.JPG

5aaf497da3940_Fandrivingpulleysnippet.thumb.JPG.472bf275edc17cef65d07137ab8c47ae.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 8/26/2017 at 1:16 PM, bradsan said:

1925 is the oddball part of course. Hugh's part listing is for the hub only  which I think is actually for the innards part you are replacing

HUBS WILL BE MADE . I will set down and make a few  Hues drawing is grate any one else have a odd  size that will need some thing close I will start in a week or 2 from now . I have 7 or 8 hubs in my shop now off of 24 to 1927's to look at now . time to add some if you want some --kyle 

• Like 1

Just to let everyone know I make the fan hub assemblies for the 31/32/33 Buicks and used billet aluminum, stainless steel shaft and sealed bearings. I also make the water pump shaft nut with a modern neoprene seal imbedded into the nut. I'm in PA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2018 at 1:29 PM, Hubert_25-25 said:

I put together a drawing of my fan hub parts and the hub parts that I need to have made.  Buick made a lot of subtle changes to these hubs, although they are all basically the same.  These are done in Powerpoint if anyone wants a copy to edit.  I do know that you can order these hubs from Tony Bult.  If you have any data for me to update and add to these, I can.  I also included what I started with from Bryan Stanley.  The 30-31 Buick Fan hub is slightly different from the early hubs.   Included is also the listing of shafts and driving pulley as Brad suggested.  Hugh

5aaecaf3f1987_FanHub1.thumb.JPG.0e7adf917843955b3bbfb078c1a74b55.JPG

so lets start here - kyle

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I am Currently working on a 1927 Buick Master.  I had all intentions of making another aluminum hub with sealed bearings for the fan hub.  So much so that I have updated my drawings with the dimensions so a person can make these hubs for a Standard or a Master.  By the time I got into the cost of the aluminum and the machining, and the fact that the thing that I only really needed was to replace the felt seal with a modern lip seal, that is what I did.   

For Mid to late 20's Buick Master or Standard, the lip seal that you want is 19mm x 26mm x 5.5mm  You can find these on Ebay for around $12.  Look for a seal with the internal spring.

I did rough up the outer side of the lip seal using coarse sandpaper. 

I cleaned the area with lacquer thinner where the lip seal replaces the felt seal inside the fan hub

I used silicone to adhere the seal into the place where the felt seal was.   Others have used black RTV sealant.  I used a deep socket to hold the seal in place for 24 hours to let the adhesive dry.

I made two new 1/64" paper gaskets for the fan hub.  

You can see the lip seal inside the back end of the fan hub housing.

I filled it with oil and everything looks great.  A big improvement over felt.       Hugh 

FanHub1.JPG.4db68f4ce4d5c0af10c213a957d61526.JPGFanHub2.JPG.8a85172734ad5d5ad42708dcd7fc7957.JPGIMG_4381FanHubSeal.JPG.3f982b9a7038f2cd48a021b15b439deb.JPGIMG_4382FanHubSeal.JPG.a6db8cdaab0a65029c2f30ca90a09c91.JPGIMG_4383withFanhubseal.JPG.2d0d4cd4bb29cb295afadfd90a926aa2.JPGIMG_4408.JPG.ef4e9af09e89b6ff296e7299eca895e5.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

If it will not be a tour car the lip seal should last a long time if the bearing surfaces are not that sloppy. Since I drive my 1925s I wanted the sealed units. It is a lot of work to do these! I made 3 so far. Just the amount of aluminum scrap generated turning down the hub core is intimidating.

DSCF1719.JPG

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)

33 minutes ago, dibarlaw said:

If will not be a tour car the lip seal should last a long time if the bearing surfaces are not that sloppy. Since I drive my 1925s I wanted the sealed units. It is a lot of work to do these! I made 3 so far. Just the amount of aluminum scrap generated turning down the hub core is intimidating.

DSCF1719.JPG.8acd6dd49b9b2baf397ef14860f9ad40.JPG

Would this work with a 29 standard 

Tom:

I am sure that the 29 has a different inside diameter but the design would be similar. These retrofit units have been done for all years of Buick fan hubs.

Page 159-160 in "BUICK TECHNICAL TIPS" Tech articles from the Buick Bugle show how this is done and illustration shows V belt design as well as the flat belt.