Mpgp1999

Towing vehicle for a DB

As I am getting older, the ripe old age of 19, I am going to start to invest in a truck and trailer. I am currently located in the San Francisco Bay Area. I am looking for a truck to bring my car to shows like the next national meet in Missouri. I have been looking at a ford 7.3l diesel and a 4.9 in-line 6.  I only have 6k to my name. I have found an excellent 1993 f150 5 speed with an overdrive 3.55 rear axle and tow package with 168k on the inline 6. This is a single cab bench seat fully loaded. Power windows rear abs power steering etc. would.this vehicle be a good daily, to go to work and school, and a good vehicle to tow a 20ft enclosed trailer to the other side of the country. Or do I need a diesel. Since money is tight I most likely will not find an aluminum trailer for 2k. What do the experts have to say??

Matthew 

Edited by Mpgp1999 (see edit history)

That 4.9 liter Ford engine has 300 cubes........that's a lot of engine for a 6.

Additionally it's something you might actually be able to fix!

I'm highly biased as I love straight 6 engines but I have to give Ford credit for this particular engine.

But like most 6's if has spark and gas it'll run nearly forever....... :D

http://www.f150hub.com/specs/ford-300.html

My only concern about the 6 cylinder is the ability to tow a heavy load for an extended period of time about 7000lbs.  I do know how to test the obd1 system with a price of wire and watching the check engine light. Below is the truck that I am looking at. If I can get it for the right price. About 5k.   

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1993-ford-f150-4x4-classic/6674316974.html

WOW.......that is one, clean truck!

Maybe you should ask at a Ford forum to get some educated answers regarding towing and such.

Maybe too clean. Rebuilt motor?  It has been on the market for over a month. Maybe the price is too high or something catastrophic. I will call the guy tomorrow. 

• Like 1

I use an Izusu NPR 300 4 cylinder Deisel. I put one on the back and the other on a trailer. It’s not fast but will do it all day.Old  F trucks are money pits I think. Well that was my experience with one.  It had a 351 in it. 

Stick with a Deisel if your towing. 

It cost me $5k and I built the back for it. 

08EBE090-9D7D-4748-96B1-AFEB243F5032.jpeg

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)

Matt if you look me up on F/B you can see my setup A 1991 FSR 500 Tilt and Slide and the caravan 

My 7.3 was new in 1995 and has been pretty dependable over the years.

They are going in the 5K range these days.

Even the 6.0's aren't bad but you have to get one after about 05 and one that has been studded.  The 7.3 were good engines though and ran long enough to outlive their hosts here in the east. 

I don't know if that inline 6 is enough to comfortably pull that load especially if you get into the mountains anywhere.  I would ask as mentioned on a Ford forum.  Luckily you are in the West where rust free trucks exist.  Here in the east.  Mother nature starts seriously consuming anything 4 years or so old. By 10 it's a rotten chassis with a little sheetmetal hanging off it. 

Thanks for the info. I have narrowed my search to two trucks that are for sale near me. (Within 100 miles). A 1994 f250 diesel and a 1993 f150 straight 6.  95% of the time I will not be towing anything whatever I will be making yearly trips to DB national meets. 

The F250 is also going to have heavier suspension and better brakes (usually) Probably a better transmission if it's an automatic than the 6 as well,  as it's designed to handle the torque of the diesel. 

Some trailer dealers if you don't already have an enclosed trailer will not sell to you if you don't have a big enough truck to pull the trailer off the lot.  Not to say you can't have a friend tow it away for you. Happened locally with a guy that wanted ot buy an enclosed trailer but only had a normal midsize? pickup. 

Perhaps beyond your budget, but the best 7.3 is the 1999-2002 which has a 4-speed 4R100 near-bulletproof automatic trans if not a 6-speed stick, and HEUI fuel injection.  Turbos were added, IIRC, to the 7.3 in mid-1994 and are VERY desirable.

I will most likely be getting a 7.3 IDI diesel Or a 6.9 naturally aspirated diesel.  If the F150 above falls through. 

Matthew, go back and READ all the responses here. Most are saying without actually saying that it ain't gunna work. As said if you buy a new trailer they probably won't let you off the lot. A 150 with a 300 six is too light to pull an enclosed trailer and DB. The rig will weigh more then the truck. You will not only tax it to get going but you will never stop when you have to. 

Edited by nearchoclatetown (see edit history)

The first Diesel I had was a 96 F350 Dually with the 7.3.  I later bought a brand new 2005 F 350 dually with a 6.0 which I actually never towed anything with.  I then sold that 6 years later and bought an 06 with a 6.0 diesel.  That one blew one of  the head gaskets so I had it studded and some other mods done.  That's my current daily driver.  I really don't need a diesel F250 truck MOST of the time,  but the first time I did,  I was happy that I bought it.  

One thing I really noticed with a diesel,  you didn't really realize how heavy you were loaded,  until yo tried coming to a stop and found you needed alot more pedal than normal.  The engine's never work unless they are really being worked. 

I had a load of pumpkins on my Dad's 85 Ford with the inline 6 and 5 speed with OD.  I hit the big hill going home and was about ready to get out to help push it over the top.

I just noticed the Ad for the F150,  while it looks like new(would be a great summer beater here in the east.)  is really more a toy truck than a towing machine says price is Firm. 

Assuming since you posted the F150 from a CA craigslist,  that's where you are.  Should be alot of choices out there.  I would try to stick to the Turbocharged 7.3.  The 6.9 was not as good or as powerful of an engine. That turbo makes alot of difference. 

Post a link to the Diesel as well. 

Good luck.

Unfortunately the craigslist ad ended however  The owner reached out to me and said he will be in contact when he comes back from vacation.  The trucking question is a 1994 F250 5 speed  7.3 turbo diesel 4X4 with 220k.  It is a single cab and he says that it will need some steering and brake work in the future.  He’s asking 4500. 

On 8/28/2018 at 8:51 PM, Ron Lawson said:

Matt if you look me up on F/B you can see my setup A 1991 FSR 500 Tilt and Slide and the caravan 

I’m not on Facebook Ron. 

My wife says Facebook and me just wouldn’t get along. 

Depending on what the steering work is that could be expensive.  If the box is bad.  If it's just a tie rod end or something,  that's not so bad.  Brakes aren't too bad if it's just a straight forward job.  In the east,  brakes means everything is rotten and seized so that's alot different job.  The mileage is starting to get up there, though I know they run past 300 K without a problem. 

What town are you closest to in CA? 

Do you prefer stick or automatic?   I found a few but at that under 5G range most of the diesel trucks I found have been very well used. Squeak it up to 7G and you have alot more choices between 6 and 7 G with alot better trucks.  I have found every one I bought ended up costing more than I wanted to spend,  but the truck was immensely better for little extra dollars. 

I had a 10G budget when I bought mine and ended up finagling up to a 16G truck because it was just alot better than anything I could find cheaper.  You get what you pay for. Especially here in the East where rust in the Number one concern. 

I found this one in your area but it's asking 6900.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/1999-ford-f250-diesel-73/6661621439.html

00D0D_1pJK0QyvKwW_600x450.jpg

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

I prefer a stick. I like the nineth generation f series trucks body style and dual fuel tank. I am looking for a single cab. I will rarely have a passenger and it will be easier to maneuver in tight spaces with a smaller truck. 

Surprisingly not much available out in your neck of the woods in that vintage in a regular cab,  especially when you add stick to it.  Lots more extra cabs available.  One of that vintage you will be able to show at Hershey in a few years.  The few I found were as expensive as newer diesels with less miles.  You do have the bonus atleast of the smog exempt status. 

4 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

You do have the bonus atleast of the smog exempt status. 

Not in Califunny!  Biennial smog inspections of diesel pickups required for 1976 and newer.  Matthew, since you're new to California you should know that it is the SELLER's responsibility to give you a valid smog test, which is good for only 60 (or maybe 90) days from the date it was done.

3 minutes ago, Grimy said:

Not in Califunny!  Biennial smog inspections of diesel pickups required for 1976 and newer.  Matthew, since you're new to California you should know that it is the SELLER's responsibility to give you a valid smog test, which is good for only 60 (or maybe 90) days from the date it was done.

Didn't know that.  I saw a bunch posted in that vintage that said they were smog exempt. 

Should have known with CA leading the charge to do themselves in, they would have the strictest regs. 

Do they have a water surcharge tax for Stanley Steamers yet? 

Matt if you would take time to look at the torque range and the amount of the 300 6cylinder you would that it has a better pulling than a large v8.  Mike