Painting Exhaust manifolds?

Scott Mckenzie

6 hours ago, Scott Mckenzie said:

So My engine is out for the trans rebuild and I am painting the engine. What do you guys use for painting the exhaust manifolds if anything?

Scott, there is a product you rub in the exhaust manifold to keep the color right. I’ll send the name of the stuff in a pm.

red Riviera bob

29 minutes ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Scott, there is a product you rub in the exhaust manifold to keep the color right. I’ll send the name of the stuff in a pm.

red Riviera bob

Hi Bob,

I think there might be others that would be interested in this product, including myself. Please share with us as well. Thanks.

Bill

Calyx (KAY-licks) manifold dressing.  The really nice thing is the way it's applied and it's easily touched up if needed.  Google the name to find their website and dealers.  Pictures tomorrow when there's some natural light.

Ed

10 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Hi Bob,

I think there might be others that would be interested in this product, including myself. Please share with us as well. Thanks.

Bill

Gents, Calyx ( Ed, thanks for the name ) exhaust manifold dressing is applied so hopefully you don't have a mess in the application. You can put the stuff on with your finger(s). I got my 3 oz. at Eastwood. I might say Eastwood is a good supplier for stuff you use to "dress up" your car. They ship fast and the products Ive purchased from Eastwood have been first class. I don't own stock in Eastwood. The plug is because Eastwood has good products.

Red Riviera Bob

7 hours ago, Bloo said:

I have made peace with it.

☺️

IIRC, Eastwood notes that Calyx is not as durable as some of their other coatings.  In light of that, what is the advantage of using it rather than a more durable coating if the manifolds are out of the car and there are (presumably) no application issues?

28 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

IIRC, Eastwood notes that Calyx is not as durable as some of their other coatings.  In light of that, what is the advantage of using it rather than a more durable coating if the manifolds are out of the car and there are (presumably) no application issues?

Well sure.  Would you rather sell one of your own products or one for which you're just a distributor.   Think $$$$$$$$

Most of the problems I've read about are the results of poorly prepped material.  Taking a wire brush to the cast iron probably still leaves a goodly amount of iron oxide in the iron.  If you're manifold is off the car and you blast it before coating it, you probably won't have any problems.  The manifolds that I pictures were Calyx coated about three years ago.  They've never been on a running engine but heat cures them better than just air.  I did sand blast these before coating them.  They've been on a shelf in the garage since I coated them.  These are for a '63, you can tell by the boss and bolt in the passengers side that the dip stick tube bolts to.

Ed

All of the brush on coatings on manifolds don't last but 3 years or so and they fail and rust everywhere. What I do

on my serious frame off resto cars is have them jet hot coated, which lasts forever.  My Riviera currently has rusty manifolds and they are going

to stay that way....it is absolutely correct and zero maintenance. I've tried all the coatings other than the jet hot and they don't last

and are a PITA to maintain.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2018 at 8:09 PM, Riviera63 said:

Hi Bob,

Bill

Bill, on another note I wanted you to know FINALLY, the AC and heat work as they were designed on my 63. I couldn’t get anyone in my area to fix it properly. I got determined, did my homework, used the service manual, followed Jim Cannon’s instructions , reread your notes, and I’ll be if I didn’t fix it my damn self! A blind squirrel finds another acorn. How about that!

Red Riviera Bob

• Like 2

On 5/14/2018 at 2:37 PM, Seafoam65 said:

All of the brush on coatings on manifolds don't last but 3 years or so and they fail and rust everywhere. What I do

on my serious frame off resto cars is have them jet hot coated, which lasts forever.  My Riviera currently has rusty manifolds and they are going

to stay that way....it is absolutely correct and zero maintenance. I've tried all the coatings other than the jet hot and they don't last

and are a PITA to maintain.

Winston, supposedly my exhaust manifolds were coated with a ceramic coating when the engine was painted. The body shop man said he sent the manifolds out for the ceramic coating. The exhaust manifolds look good and they are a different shade of gray then the engine.  For all I know the coating could be legit. I’ll keep you apprised if the manifolds stay looking good.

Red Riviera Bob

On 5/14/2018 at 12:27 PM, KongaMan said:

Easy to put on and you avoid a mess. You can put the stuff on with your fingers. Make sure the exhaust manifolds are not hot when you put it on with your fingers.

Red Riviera Bob

On 5/15/2018 at 9:48 PM, 68RIVGS said:

To me, the patina of rusty cast iron exhaust manifolds looks much more natural than any painted or ceramic coated versions !

I'm with Seafoam65 n that topic !

You are 100% correct on every note. The only reason I had mine coated with the ceramic ( or whatever the coating) is it is what I wanted and easy for me to maintain. Had the maintenance been too much for me to keep up I certainly would have the rust for certain.

i had a four post lift put in the garage so I could maintain my vehicles a bit easier. I have a 5Hp compressor with 50 gallon tank that helps blow off debris on the engine and underside of the car. IF, I didn’t have the tools to keep it up the car would stay natural.

On 5/14/2018 at 1:02 PM, RivNut said:

Would you rather sell one of your own products or one for which you're just a distributor.   Think $$$$$$$$

In the mid 1990's I sold restoration paints and chemicals at swap meets. I was a vendor for a major retailer and got a very good quantity discount. I was also servicing collector cars and using the products.

I sold the items at catalog price plus $1. Quantity shipping came out to the $1 for me.

So guys would come up to my flea market space and asked why they should buy from me instead of the retailer based on the same item price.

My reply: "I use these products. What you see here are products I have used and like. He will sell you anything in his catalog. I won't." I sold a lot of stuff back then. There are different ways to... think $$$$$$.

Bernie

20 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

In the mid 1990's I sold restoration paints and chemicals at swap meets. I was a vendor for a major retailer and got a very good quantity discount. I was also servicing collector cars and using the products.

I sold the items at catalog price plus $1. Quantity shipping came out to the $1 for me.

So guys would come up to my flea market space and asked why they should buy from me instead of the retailer based on the same item price.

My reply: "I use these products. What you see here are products I have used and like. He will sell you anything in his catalog. I won't." I sold a lot of stuff back then. There are different ways to... think $$$$$$.

Bernie

Bernie, you offered a solid proof source. Feature, Benefits, Incentives is why people make a purchase. Lesson over. NC.?