old walker floor jack

Jake 41

I use a 1970's Walker 3 ton jack that I completely rebuilt in the early 1990's. I just took the cylinder to a local hydraulic shop and they resealed it. I'm sure it was under $100 back then.

I have a couple of newer jacks in various sizes, but I always grab the old Walker. The newer ones don't have as nice a two-speed action. I did remove the rubber "tires" from the casters. That was an improvement.

A friend of mine got that jack new. He ran a garage and bought a basic stock of Walker mufflers. The jack was a free perk.

Bernie

I have had a Hein-Werner 1 1/4 ton for as long as I can remember and wasn't new then but looks like seal kits are still available. Suspect tons were larger then. Has a hole in the center of the saddle that makes it easy to mount things like a door cradle.

hein-warner.jpg

• Like 1

The best thing to do is take the seals out and measure them and then search online for the seal.  In the Eighties I bought a new jack off one of the tool dealers at a flea market.  Fifteen to twenty years later it failed and I brought the seal into a repair shop and they just laughed after asking if it was Chinese.  I stuck it on the shelf and bought a new jack.  A couple years ago, I went on line and found the seal and possibly a entire rebuild kit, so I suspect you could as well and knowing the manufacturer will make it easier.  The main ram seal is the best place to start and match it's style from online listings and then find your size.  Somewhere along the line you will get a part number of the basic seal.  Then searching with that, you'll starting finding kits as well.

On the other hand I have my uncle's jack from his Sunoco station that looks like the Hein-Werner 1 1/4 ton pictured above.  My uncle had it rebuilt by a local shop but couldn't find the right parts (late Eighties) and the resulting symptoms is it only pumps the last 5° of the handle swing.  The point is just following the books may be a dead end but usually no jack manufacturer required new special seals to be made.  They used existing seals and are likely still made.  It's the kits that might not be made anymore.