Talk about a time capsule

parkertom

While it does appear to be an impressive car, I'd be careful about the seller's hype.  He claims, among other things, that it is believed that the car was originally owned by Bob Hope.  And we do know that Bob Hope had a white '59 Electra 225 convertible.  But the seller offers not one shred of evidence that this was actually Hope's car.

Edited by Centurion (see edit history)

Lessee.  He says that it's an "excellent original", but it's had bodywork done and needs more, the upholstery is torn, the rear carpet and trunk liner are missing, the speedo doesn't work, three windows are cracked, it has dinged bumpers, and it's missing molding and the spare tire.  And if it hasn't been driven in 45 years, God knows what's going on with the engine, transmission, cooling system, and brakes.

But the big question is this: if the seller is a 50-year hobbyist, and all these fixes are so easy, why doesn't he fix it up himself and get a real premium price?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The OP is not the owner, just posting a link to a car for sale. We are not supposed to comment negatively about cars posted for sale by owner on the forum.  

But, since it is an evilbay ad, we can bash the car, comment negatively about the price and how poorly or how well their description is written.

IMHO, a lot of the details should have been addresssed before listing the car.  Pure lazyness!

Matt

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jackofalltrades70 said:

IMHO, a lot of the details should have been addresssed before listing the car.  Pure lazyness!

I think it’s beyond lazy and closer to deception. First, I’m going to tell you why original cars are so much better than restored cars. Then I’m going to tell you that this car is so original that it pre-dates the word original. Then I’m going to tell you that the body & paint aren’t original but can be restored to original in an unrealistically small amount of time & money before I go on some more about how original it is, and start speculating & making up crap I want you to believe. 

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

I think this looks like a great car, and a very nice survivor.  I think the seller's assessment of things that could be done to keep it original is correct and reasonable.  However, these things are not free and doable over a weekend but his price does not reflect this. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems like folks lately are throwing out the hook trying to land a big fish. I had one of these in 1990, real nice yellow/tan bought with 29,000 1 owner miles,yes little old lady! Got it in Beverly Hills. $1800. Drove it till 118,000, no issues, only tires and brake pads. Sold it years later in VanWa for 4750 was still mint condition. Loved that car for still being a Cadillac but not the barge size of a Sedan De Ville.