Museums where you can drive classics?

Friesster

I read a cool article about a museum near Kalamazoo where those old guy gives lessons on how to drive Ford Model Ts. It got me to wondering if there are (m)any car museums in the U.S. that offer either rides in classic cars or a similar program where you can actually drive one?  Here's the story from the Associated Press:

http://www.lenconnect.com/news/20171003/car-museum-near-kalamazoo-teaches-driving-model-t

Any place to go to drive an old Packard or Edsel or something?

The A.A.C.A. Museum, no longer affiliated with

the Antique Automobile Club of America, has an

annual show every summer.  They give rides in

a couple of vehicles, which, I think, belong to

hobbyists and not to the museum.

Our local A.A.C.A. region, on the set-up day before

our own annual show, gives rides--and driving lessons--

in Ford Model T's to any member who would like one.

The museum you are referring to is the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan (near Kalamazoo). They offer a program where they teach you to drive a Model T. If you haven't been to the Gilmore Museum, you are missing the best car museum in the USA! Everything they do there is top notch.

• Like 1

The Gilmore is more than just the Gilmore Museum. Went to the Museum Experience hosted by the CCCA. a coupe of yeas ago.  You can have lunch at the restored diner and have your picture taken in front of the most photographed garage in America.    https://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/visit-explore-2/partner-museums/

2015-06-05 2015-06-06 001 070.JPG

2015-06-05 2015-06-06 001 115.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan has early Ford cars ,trucks,and buses running around their beautiful (and large) site most of the year.During the Old Car Festival in September all participants can drive their vehicle freely around the grounds.There are even vintage cops directing traffic.I don't think they offer driving lessons though.

15 hours ago, motoringicons said:

The museum you are referring to is the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan (near Kalamazoo). They offer a program where they teach you to drive a Model T. If you haven't been to the Gilmore Museum, you are missing the best car museum in the USA! Everything they do there is top notch.

I'm in full agreement with this. I did the Model T driving school two years ago and really enjoyed it.

The Lane Motor Museum has an event, Rally for the Lane, where you can drive one of their cars. https://www.lanemotormuseum.org/events/rally-for-the-lane

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

If you haven't ridden with an adult, especially one who knows everything, learning to drive a Model T Ford, you haven't missed a perfectly explainable way to wet your pants..

Bernie

I have no idea what that means. But, for the record, I did not wet my pants. :lol:

I got my first T around 1981 and learned to drive it on my own seeing I did not know anyone that did know how.  My first day went through the neighbours hedge pushing the forward pedal rather than the brake pedal. Then latter in the day folded the front fender into the tire with the garage door putting the car away. Yes I have improved over the years. 

• Haha 1

I believe that The Henry Ford / Greenfield Village periodically have Model T driving schools. Not during the Old Car Festival though.

23 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan has early Ford cars ,trucks,and buses running around their beautiful (and large) site most of the year.During the Old Car Festival in September all participants can drive their vehicle freely around the grounds.There are even vintage cops directing traffic.I don't think they offer driving lessons though.

During regular village hours you can take a ride in a Model T.  During the Old Car Festival, besides the village employees driving others through the village ( an additional cost I believe) and the participants to the Festival can drive their vehicles throughout the village.  I have done this for many years and it is probably the best prewar car show in the country.  IMO

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The Donald Gilmore Showcase is a recent add (2018 will be the third year) to the Gilmore Car Museum events. It features a pre-war tour on a Friday followed by a show on Saturday. This is held on the 3rd weekend in May. The museum brings several of their cars out on both days. Past events included two of their Stanleys and a Thomas Flyer. There are a lot of empty seats during the tour and I'm sure if someone showed up without a car and wanted a ride they would be happily obliged. Great event and would like to expand it to include more.

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:49 PM, Larry Schramm said:

During regular village hours you can take a ride in a Model T.  During the Old Car Festival, besides the village employees driving others through the village ( an additional cost I believe) and the participants to the Festival can drive their vehicles throughout the village.  I have done this for many years and it is probably the best prewar car show in the country.  IMO

The Old Car Festival (in Greenfield Village) is very tied to The Henry Ford since they sponsor the event.  It has it's roots in the Ford Model Ts (and As) so it gets a lot more following on the Ford Model T/A forums and, I know it isn't tied to the AACA at all, BUT I think it should get some more "press" in this forum.  At least half of the 500+ cars are not Fords and the event, while held in "Ford Territory", is very welcoming to all makes.  Check out the recent video.

• Like 1