cjp69

1966 Buick Riviera GS 15,548 Original miles on ebay

JZRIV    555

Thanks Chris. Great info.

A lot of odd things done to car. Unless there is manipulation of data, it appear to be original mileage and if so a great example of how many things can get changed on a car early on that one would never expect on a low mileage car. There's strong perceptions in the hobby of what a low mileage car should look like but this example throws much of it out the window. No way to be sure but almost suspect the original owner might have had a slightly crooked mechanic and was being mislead.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1

cjp69    71

I asked the seller when the car was repainted and why it wasn't in the notes.  He said his friend bought the car thinking it was original paint, but one of the bidders (respected Riviera restorer) told him that the area around the trunk latch and the catch that should've been bare metal and their painted, so the bidder told him it must be a repaint.  Seller says he can't find any evidence of a repaint.  Hmmm........

Thoughts from others who have dealt with original 66's?

Riv trunk area.jpg

PWB    203
1 hour ago, cjp69 said:

I asked the seller when the car was repainted and why it wasn't in the notes.  He said his friend bought the car thinking it was original paint, but one of the bidders (respected Riviera restorer) told him that the area around the trunk latch and the catch that should've been bare metal and their painted, so the bidder told him it must be a repaint.  Seller says he can't find any evidence of a repaint.  Hmmm........

Thoughts from others who have dealt with original 66's?

Not sure of '66. My '67 latch/hatch have paint. It has never been repainted - for sure.

But the car in question appears to have over spray on the floor pans. Unless thats bright red rust - exactly where over spray

would land.

This is a Q. for JZ

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

JZRIV    555

The drama queen sold for - $16,000. I think seller did well considering. Buyer - not bad. Hopefully the original carb and whatever they removed from the rear axle is in those boxes in trunk.  Sure would have liked to of seen car in person.

1965rivgs    49

Was this car an original GS? Did anyone read the trans code on the Protectoplate? I couldnt make out the characters but didnt try to zoom....poor quality pics

Tom

JZRIV    555
4 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Was this car an original GS? Did anyone read the trans code on the Protectoplate? I couldnt make out the characters but didnt try to zoom....poor quality pics

Tom

Yea - I was able to positive ID the BS on the PP

cjp69    71
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:12 PM, JZRIV said:

All 66 should have dent. Looks like an earlier valve cover. Besides no indentation, there is no oil fill cap either in addition to breather. Would need to ask about that. The air cleaner snout is turned the wrong way??  

Exhaust manifold gaskets have been installed. Some other areas have been attended to as well. As with any 66 GS of significant value, a buyer would want to verify the BS trans.

i do not see a limited slip lube tag on the differential cover. 

Is these the correct valve covers for this car?  How much are a set like this worth?

valve covers.jpg

JZRIV    555

Yea looks right - Is that a rubber freeze plug filling the hole by the indentation? That set is grimy and can't tell overall condition from pic. A set in clean nice original condition never run through a media blaster, someone polishing them, no oxidation or cracked mounting holes will sell for $400. As condition deteriorates from this so does price. You have to watch the holes. They crack from over-torqueing. As-is set pictured with no physical damage I'd guess would be in range of $250 and hope they'd clean up. Could be diamond in rough if they do.

cjp69    71
3 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Yea looks right - Is that a rubber freeze plug filling the hole by the indentation? That set is grimy and can't tell overall condition from pic. A set in clean nice original condition never run through a media blaster, someone polishing them, no oxidation or cracked mounting holes will sell for $400. As condition deteriorates from this so does price. You have to watch the holes. They crack from over-torqueing. As-is set pictured with no physical damage I'd guess would be in range of $250 and hope they'd clean up. Could be diamond in rough if they do.

Thanks Jason, my guess is that maybe they came off of this car?  Perhaps the previous owner removed them because they were dented, lol!