1966 Buick Riviera GS 15,548 Original miles on ebay

cjp69

Lordy! After looking at this cars engine bay, I see at least an item or two I need to correct on mine. Thanks for posting Chris. wonder what the reserve is. Its a pretty low optioned car but GS, A/C, and deluxe interior are nice. Apparently very well kept in dry garage probably climate controlled..

Sweet Ride. What do you make of the valve cover drivers side not having the typical 66 dent in corner?

PS: does anyone have one of those valve cover breather caps in the picture? I am interested in buying one for my 66 Riv.

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 2.41.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 2.45.29 PM.png

6 hours ago, Chimera said:

Sweet Ride. What do you make of the valve cover drivers side not having the typical 66 dent in corner?

PS: does anyone have one of those valve cover breather caps in the picture? I am interested in buying one for my 66 Riv.

All 66 should have dent. Looks like an earlier valve cover. Besides no indentation, there is no oil fill cap either in addition to breather. Would need to ask about that. The air cleaner snout is turned the wrong way??  

Exhaust manifold gaskets have been installed. Some other areas have been attended to as well. As with any 66 GS of significant value, a buyer would want to verify the BS trans.

i do not see a limited slip lube tag on the differential cover. 

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

9 hours ago, oldstyle said:

I believe the dent was for California emission cars only. So not 66 Rivs would have it.

The "dent" was to accommodate the new AIR pump, which in `66 was required on all `66 Rivs except the dual quad cars sold in California, but the same valve cover was installed on `66 GS cars sold nationwide.

Tom Mooney

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chimera said:

Check Cars for a repro

Tom

On 5/10/2017 at 0:01 PM, cjp69 said:

This car looks too "new" in several areas to be absolutely original...it has been "massaged". I am not doubting the stated mileage, but it has been "massaged" too thoroughly to be an unquestionable model for very specific original details. Beautiful Riv, would love to add this to the garage if I was a buyer....is that Riviera Red? 

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Already hit Reserve at $12k. Nice to see a reasonable reserve!

One item that caught my interest and appears untouched or at least very likely untouched is the bracket for the A/C POA valve which is clearly gold cad.

I have never seen any indication even on back side under screws etc, where this bracket was ever gold cad on other 66-67s Ive done. Always made them silver cad. Same with other pics I have of low mileage cars.

6 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Already hit Reserve at $12k. Nice to see a reasonable reserve!

One item that caught my interest and appears untouched or at least very likely untouched is the bracket for the A/C POA valve which is clearly gold cad.

I have never seen any indication even on back side under screws etc, where this bracket was ever gold cad on other 66-67s Ive done. Always made them silver cad. Same with other pics I have of low mileage cars.

Bracket stands out as looking too new to my eye...maybe an Eastwood kit detail/touchup? Maybe not...

Tom

On 5/11/2017 at 7:21 PM, 1965rivgs said:

Bracket stands out as looking too new to my eye...maybe an Eastwood kit detail/touchup? Maybe not...

Tom

Been scratching head trying to figure out why wrong carb, valve job, new cam, paint, rear axle work but now with latest pic added to listing think cat is out of bag. Maintenance document shows 91450 (mileage entry) "packed front wheel bearings". So its likely 115k. Many things explained if this mileage entry is correct. Also says clutches were removed from rear due to chattering. Can't just remove clutches as there is nothing to support the side gears so who knows what was done. Maybe just removed preload springs so its still posi but buyer wouldn't know until cover was removed. Think still a decent car but man, theres going to be some unexpected findings once buyer take possesion.

PS - Paul The dust cover on the Riview was from the 1995 meet artwork so most likely that issue in pic is early 1995 up through May/June.

Awesome forensics guys!

One can see a ROA members name, one Mr. Robert P*ke

Whomever is selling this car for Mr. P*ke is not doing him big favors?

He is taking photos of images from a flatscreen display. Photos of photos - creepy.

I wish all well, regardless.

I agree that a lot of things were replaced which makes things suspicious.  But the extra zero is probably a misprint.  How can you suddenly put 80,000 miles on the car in one year given the maintainance track record?

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:42 AM, rapom said:

I agree that a lot of things were replaced which makes things suspicious.  But the extra zero is probably a misprint.  How can you suddenly put 80,000 miles on the car in one year given the maintainance track record?

Or,

The owner just left the first digit off (8) when he recorded the mileage, and then when the mileage turned over the new digit (9), he wrote it down, and continued just writing 4 digits until it turned again.  I do something similar in my checkbook log, I only write down the last two digits of the check instead of all 4, and then write down 3 digits when I get to a new third digit. 

More likely though it is a misprint, and should be 9,145.0, which would be 68 miles in the two week time span.

I have asked for photos of the log book back to when the car was new, hopefully this will help us solve this!

Edited by cjp69 (see edit history)

26 minutes ago, cjp69 said:

Or,

More likely though it is a misprint, and should be 9,145.0, which would be 68 miles in the two week time span.

I have asked for photos of the log book back to when the car was new, hopefully this will help us solve this!

Based on the other entries, I can see your point.  

Thanks Chris. Great info.

A lot of odd things done to car. Unless there is manipulation of data, it appear to be original mileage and if so a great example of how many things can get changed on a car early on that one would never expect on a low mileage car. There's strong perceptions in the hobby of what a low mileage car should look like but this example throws much of it out the window. No way to be sure but almost suspect the original owner might have had a slightly crooked mechanic and was being mislead.

• Like 1

I asked the seller when the car was repainted and why it wasn't in the notes.  He said his friend bought the car thinking it was original paint, but one of the bidders (respected Riviera restorer) told him that the area around the trunk latch and the catch that should've been bare metal and their painted, so the bidder told him it must be a repaint.  Seller says he can't find any evidence of a repaint.  Hmmm........

Thoughts from others who have dealt with original 66's?

Riv trunk area.jpg

1 hour ago, cjp69 said:

I asked the seller when the car was repainted and why it wasn't in the notes.  He said his friend bought the car thinking it was original paint, but one of the bidders (respected Riviera restorer) told him that the area around the trunk latch and the catch that should've been bare metal and their painted, so the bidder told him it must be a repaint.  Seller says he can't find any evidence of a repaint.  Hmmm........

Thoughts from others who have dealt with original 66's?

Not sure of '66. My '67 latch/hatch have paint. It has never been repainted - for sure.

But the car in question appears to have over spray on the floor pans. Unless thats bright red rust - exactly where over spray

would land.

This is a Q. for JZ

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

The drama queen sold for - $16,000. I think seller did well considering. Buyer - not bad. Hopefully the original carb and whatever they removed from the rear axle is in those boxes in trunk.  Sure would have liked to of seen car in person.

4 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Was this car an original GS? Did anyone read the trans code on the Protectoplate? I couldnt make out the characters but didnt try to zoom....poor quality pics

Tom

Yea - I was able to positive ID the BS on the PP

• 2 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:12 PM, JZRIV said:

All 66 should have dent. Looks like an earlier valve cover. Besides no indentation, there is no oil fill cap either in addition to breather. Would need to ask about that. The air cleaner snout is turned the wrong way??  

Exhaust manifold gaskets have been installed. Some other areas have been attended to as well. As with any 66 GS of significant value, a buyer would want to verify the BS trans.

i do not see a limited slip lube tag on the differential cover. 

Is these the correct valve covers for this car?  How much are a set like this worth?

valve covers.jpg

Yea looks right - Is that a rubber freeze plug filling the hole by the indentation? That set is grimy and can't tell overall condition from pic. A set in clean nice original condition never run through a media blaster, someone polishing them, no oxidation or cracked mounting holes will sell for $400. As condition deteriorates from this so does price. You have to watch the holes. They crack from over-torqueing. As-is set pictured with no physical damage I'd guess would be in range of $250 and hope they'd clean up. Could be diamond in rough if they do.

3 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Yea looks right - Is that a rubber freeze plug filling the hole by the indentation? That set is grimy and can't tell overall condition from pic. A set in clean nice original condition never run through a media blaster, someone polishing them, no oxidation or cracked mounting holes will sell for $400. As condition deteriorates from this so does price. You have to watch the holes. They crack from over-torqueing. As-is set pictured with no physical damage I'd guess would be in range of $250 and hope they'd clean up. Could be diamond in rough if they do.

Thanks Jason, my guess is that maybe they came off of this car?  Perhaps the previous owner removed them because they were dented, lol!