I found my luck (maybe)!

As you probably remember, last November I sold my '56 Sedan de Ville, after owning it for 34 years, because I wanted something less old. I was happy to have a car less and lot of space in the garage! And, to tell the truth, I did not search for a replacement car.
Some time ago, Brian Faull (a parts supplier from the Cadillac LaSalle forum) asked me what kind of car I would like to have. My response was that a '69 to '72 de Ville would be fine, either as a 4-door or Coupe, not white or black. I forgot about this until recently as Brian sent to me a link to a Craiglist: there was a 1972 Coupe, with less than 20'000 miles for a decent price. The car was green, with a green vinyl top and green trim. I'm not especially a fan of green (politically and with the color), but this green was after all good looking.
Usually I don't do phone calls because my English over the phone is not the best but sometimes...I had to do it. I phone to the seller, had a good impression and finally, I spent also a phone call to Brian.
After a while, when the dust was down, I decided to buy the car and let ship it to Brian for an inspection as well as repairs if needed. Sure, the transport from Florida to Pennsylvania was not cheap, but doing repairs in Switzerland costs twice what I will have to spent at Brian's place.
Yesterday, I got document from the seller like copies from titles, the window's invoice and the car broadcast showing the options. The only option I'm missing is the trunk lid pull-down. I can live without it...

Yesterday, Brian sent me a list of issues he found. Well, a car with a low mileage does not automatically means a perfect vehicle! And this car has some issues like brakes (I'm not surprised), dried bushings and less pleasant, perforating rust at some places. Well, after all that car is 45 years old!

When Brian will be ready with the numerous repairs, the car will be ready to make a long journey to Switzerland. I will report here how things are going.

Oh, by the way: with all that green, the car has a new name: Popeye.

IMG_2846.JPG

IMG_2848.JPG

IMG_2851.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG

IMG_2719.JPG

IMG_2717.JPG

Edited by Roger Zimmermann (see edit history)

Hi Roger ! Where is the "perforating rust" ? I hope it is not at the back window , leaking into the trunk. Looks REALLY good ! These are very good cars. My '73 never needed anything other than consumables , brakes , ignition , belts , etc. Nylon camshaft gear should be replaced when you next do the water pump and radiator. My advice is , if you do any one of these things , do all three. Best news from here is : Winter is FINALLY ending ! No response from Laurent yet.   - Carl

Roger , as long as you have a "new" Cadillac being prepared for you by Brian , come see some of the U.S.A. What a wonderful way to do the shakedown cruise ! And with a huge Cad/LaSalle domestic network at your service ! Not to mention , the HUGE fan club you have here in AACA. Honor us with your presence !   - Carl

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses! The rust is at the front fenders which is a common place at many car models; it seems that the back window has no problem. Brian saw no bubbles under the vinyl, I hope that it will stay that way for a long time. The radiator was replaced at one time with an aluminum one; I'm not a fan of aluminum radiators but I leave it that way. I asked Brian to replace the nylon covered gear and he certainly will have a look at the water pump. there are many other issues like oil drops; Brian will take care of that.

Carl, I will not come in the US for various reasons which I prefer not to explain here. One thing is for sure: you don't have to spend time searching the perfect car for me like you did for a French guy!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well...Not yet. I'm not especially happy with that situation, as you may imagine. I'm probably responsible to some extend to this delay: when Brian did the car's inspection, he noted all the items which were questionable. To most of them, I wrote "do it"! Plus the fact that I told to Brian that I was not in a hurry, that car was not a priority to him. Recently, he confessed that he had personal problem which delayed the work on the car. For about 2 or 3 weeks, he promised that I would drive the car this year.

The fact is that he did a lot of work on the frame/underbody/suspension/engine, maybe more than I expected; according to the latest pictures he sent, the car is not yet ready, but I would say the I see the end of the tunnel. I just hope that he will hold his promise and the car will be soon ready .

Thanks for asking!

• Like 1

On 5/4/2017 at 3:59 PM, dalef62 said:

Brian and Popeye must be in my neck of the woods.  Nice car!!!!

Roger, you wanted a translation.  "Neck of the woods" is

a slang phrase.  It is not to be translated literally.

One meaning of "neck" is "narrow part."

"Neck of the woods" could mean "part of the woods."

Generally, it means "area."  In regular English, he meant

"Brian and Popeye must be in my area," or "Brian and 

Popeye must be near me."

By the way, I like the green color of your car.

We don't see many green cars, and it is nice to see

something different.

• 3 months later...

Now the car is finished. I will be informed when the shipper with take the car away; obviously it was not this week; I hope the next one!

I'm adding some pictures which were taken a few days ago. The wheelcovers are in the trunk for the shipping. The hood ornament will be removed too.

Popeye.jpg

Popeye1.jpg

Front seat.jpg

Edited by Roger Zimmermann (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On July 18, the car arrived at the Swiss customs in Zürich. At about 2 PM, the man who arranged the shipping and me went with a trailer to load the car. If the drive to Zürich went well (less than 2 hours drive), the drive back to Bienne was another matter: when we drove over 60 km/h, (about 38MPH), the trailer began to swing! Due to the shape of the front bumper, the car was not forward enough, plus the trunk was full of material! After a while, we left the freeway to take "normal" roads. We were lucky: a few miles after the freeway exit we used, a small truck went in fire. The delay to cross this incident was 1 1/2 hour! Even with our rather slow pace, we arrived safely in Bienne at the man's shop. Anyway, it was a long day as I got home at 8 PM.

And the car? Well, I can say it's in a good shape. Sure, there are here or there some imperfections, but this is an original car not repainted, except for the hood (and it shows it: the color is a tad different…). In other words, I'm happy!

Now, the man you see in one of the pictures will let install the new tires which were in the trunk, check for the front end alignement and do what's needed to get the car licensed. Maybe I can drive it at the end of next week!

At the customs2.JPG

At the customs1.JPG

Loading the car.JPG

The car is loaded.JPG

• Like 2

It could be: depending how one is looking at the car, the LH front fender is not quite a match to the door. The seller told me that the hood was repainted once, but he did not say or he was not aware about other repaint. However, you probably know how the cars were constructed: the body alone was painted and the hood and front fenders were separately painted either in the same plant or in another one.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Keith!

The speed limit is 120 km/h (75 MPH) on freeways; usually 80 km/h (50 MPH) on "normal" roads and 50 in town (31MPH); there are of course sometimes lower speed limits. I was lucky: by law, the tires speed rating should be equal or higher than the vehicle max. speed; the tires I have are rated for 180 km/h (112.5).

I corrected my previous post to be clearer!

• Like 1

Thanks Chris!

Today, I drove Popeye for the fist time. During that 3/4 of an hour, I was really happy: the suspension is acting the way I like, soft, almost like a ship on calm water! There will be somme little things to improve (the car is 47 years old, I always have to remember that it's not a new car), like a better cleaning of the inside trim/chromed parts. Overall, I'm really satisfied!

• Like 6