2016 Southeastern Fall Meet • New Bern, NC - August 11-13, 2016

Through Our local Club here I learned that there was going to be a Fall Meet down in New Bern, NC.

2016 Southeastern Fall Meet Brochure

Cool thing is we Vacationed here last year in August. it is a quaint little town, lots to see and do, especially hunting for all the New Bern bear Statues around town (get the map and questions from the Conference Center Welcome Desk). Even more so if you are a Pepsi fan, since the birthplace is here, can get some memorabilia as well as a cold Pepsi from the fountain for under a dollar !! lots of history and everyone we ran into was very helpful and friendly !!

So, anyone here going ??  I booked a hotel for the weekend to go down, probably will NOT have my 1929 ready yet. but should be there to check out the field and see anyone who shows up.

Edited by BearsFan315 (see edit history)

Thanks for the background info! I didn't know about the bears and I knew Pepsi was from NC but not New Been in particular. :-)   something else to look forward too now!

We will be there.... I enter my Suburban in HPOF and judge also. I'm looking forward to a Beautiful day on the NC coast!

It is a real nice venue, I was there for the Grand National a few years back. I loved the town! My class was parked directly across the street from the Pepsi store and in the shade. It was a hot sticky day. It's not going to work out for me this year so far... but things can change

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Annie, look forward to seeing you in New Bern again.  We've not missed these great events, lots of neat cars parked on the city streets.  Last time we got lucky and ended up in front of an ice-cream shop!  At a previous meet we were parked in front on a great antique store!  My kinda show!!!!  I'll be doing a Model T Ford CJE this time and there are usually some nice ones to look at (courtesy of Marshall VanWinkle of course).   Enjoyed the chance to visit at Vineland and talk about clubs.   Safe travels. 

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

...some nice ones to look at (courtesy of Marshall VanWinkle of course)...

As I scanned your posting, Terry, I thought you wrote Marshall VanWrinkle!

I'd hate to disparage a fine man I don't know, but that name sounds like a

good one for a cartoon character!

On 7/27/2016 at 11:36 AM, Terry Bond said:

Annie, look forward to seeing you in New Bern again.  We've not missed these great events, lots of neat cars parked on the city streets.  Last time we got lucky and ended up in front of an ice-cream shop!  At a previous meet we were parked in front on a great antique store!  My kinda show!!!!  I'll be doing a Model T Ford CJE this time and there are usually some nice ones to look at (courtesy of Marshall VanWinkle of course).   Enjoyed the chance to visit at Vineland and talk about clubs.   Safe travels. 

Terry

Thanks Terry!  Joel and I enjoyed our time too and look forward to catching up!  I'm really looking forward to this show being it's in my state and in a town I've not seen!  Can't wait to see where the HPOF's are parked!  Safe travels and see you in a couple of weeks :)

Annie,

Hope to see you there but I won't be in HPOF at this meet. I am bringing my 1937 Buick Century in DPC to this meet. New Bern is always a good meet. You will enjoy it. I am going to be busy moving my daughter into North Carolina State University on Friday, so I will be getting up very early on Saturday morning for the drive up to the meet.  

• Like 1

Hi Matt!  Loop forward to seeing you as well!  Good luck with the move!  Be careful and don't overdo it :)

NC State is not far from my house, but we are driving up Friday afternoon, so I'll see you Saturday :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our trip is confirmed, but we will be Antique Car LESS, as it is still in Upholstery and the Engine is in the garage under tear down :!

We are coming down on Friday morn and leaving Sunday morn. hope to see everyone there and HOPING for sunny weather and COOLER Temps.

• Like 1

Hey, fellow New Bern attendees!  Does anyone know of a great place to photograph one's car in that neck of the woods?  I'd like to find a spot where the lighting is good during the "golden hours" and which will provide a nice backdrop without "overwhelming" the subject (which is the car, natch).  Any hints?

And we'll see you down there on Thursday evening!

J.

Union Park is a pretty place, on the water, can have water & trees in the background or park near the Bridge and have it in the background.

over by Tryon Palace, pretty backdrop

Lawson Park trees water, scenery

then most any of the downtown street with the historic building in the backdrop, churches are pretty, also corner of Craven & pollock by City Hall !!

Sorry spent summer vacation in New Bern Last year with the family, so did a lot of sight seeing and walking town. nice & historic

Edited by BearsFan315 (see edit history)

Thanks for the tips and for the link, BearsFan!  I'll check out those locations while in New Bern.

Say, do you suppose that they will open that bridge (as shown in the photo) long enough for me to get a shot with our car in the foreground . . ? ;-)

lol, not sure they would open JUST for that, but IF you catch when a boat is coming through you are good to go !!

just a side note: the bridge i believe is Alfred A Cunningham Bridge

what i could find:

The drawbridge over the Trent River opens on demand except for several exceptions.

Monday through Friday, it is closed for pleasure vessels from 6:30 to 8:30 a.m., but will open at 7:30 a.m. for any pleasure vessel awaiting passage.

During afternoons Monday through Friday, the drawbridge closes from 4 to 6 p.m. to pleasure craft, opening at 5 p.m. for vessels awaiting passage.

From May 24 through Sept. 8, the drawbridge may remain closed from 2 to 7 p.m. on Sundays and federal holidays, but will open on the hour and half hour for vessels awaiting passage.

The drawbridge opens upon requests at all times for public vessels of the United States (documented vessel), vessels for public safety, commercial vessels, tugs with or without barges and all vessels in distress.

It was a great meet but it was hot. I took some photos after I was finished judging. Many of these photos are cars owned by members of my local Cape Fear Chapter.  I had a great fun comfortable 100 mile drive up to New Bern early this morning.  On the way home after the meet, 1937 Buick performed flawlessly but it was 92 degrees so it was a bit hot.

DSC_0867.JPG

DSC_0868.JPG

DSC_0869.JPG

DSC_0870.JPG

DSC_0871.JPG

DSC_0872.JPG

DSC_0873.JPG

DSC_0874.JPG

DSC_0875.JPG

DSC_0876.JPG

DSC_0877.JPG

DSC_0878.JPG

DSC_0879.JPG

DSC_0880.JPG

DSC_0881.JPG

DSC_0882.JPG

DSC_0883.JPG

DSC_0898.JPG

DSC_0885.JPG

DSC_0886.JPG

DSC_0887.JPG

DSC_0888.JPG

DSC_0889.JPG

DSC_0890.JPG

DSC_0891.JPG

DSC_0892.JPG

DSC_0893.JPG

DSC_0894.JPG

DSC_0895.JPG

DSC_0896.JPG

DSC_0897.JPG

DSC_0899.JPG

DSC_0900.JPG

DSC_0901.JPG

DSC_0902.JPG

DSC_0904.JPG

DSC_0905.JPG

DSC_0906.JPG

DSC_0908.JPG

DSC_0909.JPG

DSC_0910.JPG

DSC_0911.JPG

DSC_0912.JPG

DSC_0913.JPG

DSC_0914.JPG

• Like 4

Matt, great pics!  You captured the flavor nicely.  Quaint shops, shaded sidewalks and beautiful cars go so well together, and we've not missed any of the New Bern shows for that reason.  I don;'t think I've been anywhere that we've felt so welcomed by the folks in town or spectators.  The Region there did an amazing job promoting the event and the crowds there were big, especially earlier in the day when it wasn't quite so hot.  Plenty of benches, shade, and open shops, restaurants and ice-cream parlors kept us reasonably cool.  There was such a great variety of high-quality vehicles there (as usual in New Bern).  I had to zip through quickly to get a few photos but enjoyed stopping to visit a lot on the way.  We just got home - left early in the morning as the little MGBGT does not have AC so wanted to have it put away before the got blazing hot today.  The Region can be proud of another great event there.  Tidewater Region brought a good contingent with some nice cars and I believe everyone walked away with what they had hoped for.   With even a nice antique mall just around the corner from the convention center, it was an amazing setting and a fun weekend.  Just one question that I also heard from many shop owners - when will we be back again?

Terry

• Like 2

Joel and I got home around noon today after an amazing breakfast in the Bakery kitchen - if you didn't stop in there you HAVE TO GO BACK!!!! Sooooo good!!!

So.... THANK YOU First Capital for a fantastic meet!  I loved walking around New Bern on Friday. We had lunch in Capt Ratty's, walked around the streets, got lots of photos (those will follow soon) and enjoyed the boats on the river.

Friday night dinner was late but yummy once it got there and we had some great conversations at our table with other AACA members whom we had not met before.

Saturday was a gorgeous, hot and sunny day!  What an incredible Carolina blue sky!  The cars were just amazing, the crowds were robust and enjoying themselves with all of the beautiful vehicles on the streets.  I had a fantastic judging team - as always - and got to see some great trucks up close and personal.  And I'm happy the Take-A-Part team didn't lose any members from heat stroke :)  Thanks to everyone who cheered us on!!

We had a great time at the banquet Saturday night - Marshall.... you are a HOOT!  And are parting words to all of our new and old friends... "SEE YOU AT HERSHEY!!!!"

Triangle Chapter Members:

P1100512 sm.jpg

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Lots of nice cars and lots of nice people. New Bern is always a great place for an AACA Meet. I was walking the field after judging trying to get some photos for our local newsletter trying to catch as many of our local Cape Fear Chapter member's vehicles but had to take a few other photos to show a bit more of the show. While I missed the Takeapart T demo at this meet, I had to get a quick shot or two of it. It is always a neat demonstration. 

• Like 2

That's funny. As many times as we have talked about the fact that he is always working and never able to attend AACA events with you and I miss an opportunity to meet him... Apparently he is going to be the last member of you family that I meet. Be sure to introduce him at the next opportunity.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MCHinson said:

That's funny. As many times as we have talked about the fact that he is always working and never able to attend AACA events with you and I miss an opportunity to meet him... Apparently he is going to be the last member of you family that I meet. Be sure to introduce him at the next opportunity.

Absolutely! lol  In this shot, I wasn't with him, or I would have tried to :)  we'll both be in Hershey!!! 

• Like 1

Another smattering of the beautiful cars on display at New Bern including our '76 Olds Cutlass Salon in DPC.  Ours is the Firethorn Red one which is shown "posed" near the waterfront; the yellow one is a Supreme which was shown in HPOF.

Yes, I like the '50s - '70s cars --- guilty as charged! :)

Picture 059_1 (1).jpg

Picture 064_1 (1).jpg

Picture 070_1.jpg

Picture 072_1.jpg

Picture 073_1.jpg

Picture 074_1.jpg

Edited by carbdoc (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Ok, got our photos uploaded!  Once again, I have to thank my husband @rcktpwrd for taking all of these photos for me while I judged and then was part of the PM Take-A-Part T demo team :)

Here are the show photos:  https://goo.gl/photos/ekdiKRvR7HW9k5ki7

The first few that seem "foggy" are a fogged up camera lens!

Here are photos from our wanderings through New Bern and the waterfront Friday: https://goo.gl/photos/FXHrGLUDKaeAkEvW7

2 minutes ago, rcktpwrd said:

I think I was able to get pictures of most of the vehicles on the show field! :)

I think you were indeed, rcktpwrd --- good job!  I can't believe that I missed the Citroen SM, and I saw the beautiful BMW 8 Series parked nearby on Friday but didn't realize that it was entered.  I'm a sucker for Eurocars as well as American iron . . . 

• Like 2

Joel,

I just bothered to look at your sig and . . . realized that you have a '76 A-Body as well.  I'm sure I'd remember you if I saw you.

I, on the other hand, probably had more hair in April --- but Mother Nature and heredity is swiftly "correcting" that!

Edited by carbdoc (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have to say it was a very nice meet... Downtown New Bern was quaint as it always is and the car fit right in on the streets. Tons of people wondering about, and was great to meet and talk to all the car people, ran in to many of the gang from out local region as well as other from other regions. 

Unfortunately I left my camera at home :/ so thanks for taking and posting pictures.

Only draw back was the heat, man was it HOT !!

• Like 1