youth movement

Guest jwb65

Guest dwhiteside64

Looks to be a '65 Thunderbird - the arch enemy of the Riviera!

Hopefully he was driving and not just along for the ride with dad. Too much attention to his cell phone and not your Riviera IMHO.

Guest jwb65

He was driving, I've seen it around town and in the high school parking lot. In his defense I think he was taking a picture of my car, although he had no idea they were supposed to be arch enemies.

Edited by jwb65 (see edit history)

Guest Kaber

That is great! I love the picture. My Son digs the personal Luxury vibe as well, maybe its going to be a trend? Thanks!

Tim

Guest jwb65

You are right. I edited my post a few minutes ago. I thought I saw a '67 plate but after a quick Google search, I'm now thinking it was '66. The IL plate was white with red lettering in '66.

Edited by jwb65 (see edit history)

Guest dwhiteside64

Yeah '66 sounds more like it. We are all Riviera guys so what do we really know about the thunderturd? Just kidding all you Thunderbird fans hahahaha!

Guest dwhiteside64

My son whose 12 rides with me all the time and helps with repairs. He hopes to get a red '63 Impala convertible one day. I can only imagine what they will cost when he's old enough to buy one lol.

Guest jwb65

I also have a 12 yr old son, but he could care less about cars. He is all sports all the time. Recently I pointed to a modern Mustang and asked if he could name the car. He said Ferrari (because of the horse). Depressing.

Guest Kaber
My son whose 12 rides with me all the time and helps with repairs. He hopes to get a red '63 Impala convertible one day. I can only imagine what they will cost when he's old enough to buy one lol.

Keep him interested! Start looking now. You might find a 63 Impala six cyl or something and eventually trade up!

Tim

Yeah '66 sounds more like it. We are all Riviera guys so what do we really know about the thunderturd? Just kidding all you Thunderbird fans hahahaha!

It's a 66 without any doubt. IMO it was the best looking of the 3rd gen T-birds. I'd still take a 1st gen Riviera over a T-bird any day even though I'm currently a Ford owner.

Guest dwhiteside64

Sorry to hear that your son doesn't show the interest in cars that our generation did at his age. With Dad having one you'd think our kids would 'get the bug' too right? I guess there is still time especially once he gets his drivers license.

That's actually a great idea Tim never thought to start looking for an Impala right now. Thanks for the great idea.

Thanks DJ for confirming the year of the Tbird. I too like the 64-66 body style, very unique. I like many classic cars from all of the US manufacturers, but I'm not so much into European or Japanese types. Guess I'm a dyed-in-the-wool old fashioned American lol.

Guest jwb65

I really like the curved back seat.

Still holding out hope for my son. Maybe things will change when he can drive it.

Guest Kaber
Sorry to hear that your son doesn't show the interest in cars that our generation did at his age. With Dad having one you'd think our kids would 'get the bug' too right? I guess there is still time especially once he gets his drivers license.

That's actually a great idea Tim never thought to start looking for an Impala right now. Thanks for the great idea.

Thanks DJ for confirming the year of the Tbird. I too like the 64-66 body style, very unique. I like many classic cars from all of the US manufacturers, but I'm not so much into European or Japanese types. Guess I'm a dyed-in-the-wool old fashioned American lol.

Yeah, maybe a six or a four door to give him something of his own to care for. I have said this before but its good motivation for kids. Its cool when they don't like the same thing as you do too. My son wanted a Cougar, we just couldn't find one that wasn't rusted out or worse. We kind of accidentally came across the Riv. I noticed he bought an ad for a 65 at a flea market and jumped on it. I have a Chevelle and an early 2nd gen Firebird Formula. The Riv is nothing like them, and he loves that. He also loves the fact that I'm a little jealous of the Riv.

Do you take your car to shows or cruise ins? We go to alot of them and it is a great place to see many prospective cars. We saw a 63 Riv at a cruise in and we asked where a guy could find one. The guy told us about one he saw on Hub Garage. We went to see it and the owner met us driving the car we eventually bought (not the one we went to look at). I set a $5000 budget, not enough. I had to sell a 79 Corvette with 12,500 miles on it but, to get more money, it was worth every penny!

Here is the guys car we met at the cruise in:

riv_002_detail_zps985b5cbc.jpg

riv_004_detail_zpsf2d6389b.jpg

(Check out the license plate, he got it from a co worker for free!)

Here is the Riv we passed on....

101_0607_detail_zpsc325995d.jpg

And here is.....you know the rest of the story!!!!

r1_zps80aed06f.jpg

Thanks! Tim

Guest dwhiteside64

...Do you take your car to shows or cruise ins?

We just started to look into the shows and cruise ins. Speaking of cruising the Woodward Dream Cruise is right around the corner. We went last year but only on the Friday before (traffic WAY to crazy the day of the cruise). Talk about an awesome experience! There must have been around 2000 cars there that Friday afternoon, with many 50's and 60's classics running side by side. Very neat. I was the only Riv from what I could tell but there are a few of us that live close enough to make the trip. I live only four miles from Woodward and I really have no excuse not to show up at one point. You live in Dayton so your relatively close. Ever thought about a road trip just you and the boy?

Guest dwhiteside64
Get a '66 T-Bird and your son can REALLY start helping you fix the car....... a lot!

Bernie

Yes I heard this lol. I guess good looks aren't everything huh?

Guest dwhiteside64
I really like the curved back seat.

Still holding out hope for my son. Maybe things will change when he can drive it.

The Riviera is such an impressive car to drive I'm quite certain just one trip behind the wheel and he'll be hooked for life!:cool:

Guest clamshells

I rarely see a youngster in a car, 99% ride and drive around in something looking like a Prius with a 4" pipe and rubber band tires. I don't keep track of cars I wouldn't be caught dead in, hence I have no idea what they are other than _ _ _! Pretty sad times when a old fart as myself gets more compliments from teenage girls than the new males with their accessories.

Nothing has or is going to change here............I continue to seek the knowledge, experience and vision of guys many years my seniors. The guys with 30's, 40's, 50's in their garages is where I like to hang out and take the jokes directed at my 60's.................lol

Guest dwhiteside64
The one thing I used to really like about those T-birds was the sequential tail lights.

66_Taill_light_animation.1270736_std.gif

Those are pretty neat I agree. Ford had a great idea when they engineered them. I see that they brought them back for the new Mustangs too.

Guest Kaber
We just started to look into the shows and cruise ins. Speaking of cruising the Woodward Dream Cruise is right around the corner. We went last year but only on the Friday before (traffic WAY to crazy the day of the cruise). Talk about an awesome experience! There must have been around 2000 cars there that Friday afternoon, with many 50's and 60's classics running side by side. Very neat. I was the only Riv from what I could tell but there are a few of us that live close enough to make the trip. I live only four miles from Woodward and I really have no excuse not to show up at one point. You live in Dayton so your relatively close. Ever thought about a road trip just you and the boy?

I have thought of going to the Woodward Cruise. Usually it is the weekend that precedes the Trans Am nationals that are held here in Dayton. This year is the 30th annual show, I have been taking my Firebird there since the 3rd one. It would be hard for me to get a kitchen pass for 2 weekends in a row and spend that much money in one month. I would love to go, I hear stories at the T/A show. A lot of people go top both! Have fun if you go this year and keep your eyes peeled for an Imp!

Tim

I havent double checked it, but AFAIK Mustang Project does make a sequential kit for the 65.........and no offense, but that 12yr old who called a Mustang a Ferrari needs to be taken behind the woodshed for a little American history 101 lesson! I hear this all the time from my friends....their kids have no interest in cars whatsoever. I think they're happy thinking they might not have to eventually buy them one, but instead of an old jalopy to fix up, they're going to want a new Prius to get them to dance class, if you get my drift.( insert obligatory"not that there's anything wrong with that" here) I don't have one of those little monsters myself, so it's up to you breeders to instill the American Dream in them before it's too late, and that includes healthy doses of Automobelia, GI vs Narzis, cowboys & indians, etc! Get on it! You're losin' em! (this editorial brought to you by Rivnik who apologizes for any offensive content)

Mustang Project makes a sequential kit for the '67 Riviera. If enough interest was made, perhaps they could come up with something for the 63/64 and 65.

http://www.mustangproject.com/ProductDisplay.aspx?ID=43ac026a-7a20-459f-bd09-266ed8355e33

Be sure to click on the little yellow button 2 to see them in action. :o

Ed

Diane has them on her 65 - Best of show winner at the ROA Meet in Colorado Springs . Aftermarket .

It's generational thing:When I was a kid, everything in life was someplace else, and you got there in a car. For kids today, everything in life is still someplace else, but you get there on a screen. Cars are just less relevant to kids today and there are other forms of self expression. It's also a cultural thing: Most of the 20th century was dedicated to celebrating machines that went further and broke speed records. When was the last time you heard about anybody being celebrated for breaking a speed record? The fastest machine now is a computer and it can virtually take you anywhere. It's just the way of the future. For me, there's only one real lament worth contemplating: Historically cars offered young men a way to grow their confidence and sense of accomplishment. Guys who could change a tire, fix their car or even customize it were imbued with a sense of achievement. Pridefully picking up your date in a cool car was good for ego. Fixing it when it broke was even better. Making it personal to your tastes was creative. I worry that young men today have few ways to demonstrate their prowess to women other than bragging about their high score on Grand Theft Auto. It's a confidence thing. Are young men slowly putting themselves out of business? Do young women really need a guy who can't change a tire, can't fix anything, earn less than them and spend all day playing video games? I sound like an old fart, because I sort of am. I'm 50. I have two young daughters who like my old cars, but aren't exactly dying to pick up a wrench. When I see posts from Kaber about his son working on his Riv, my hopes are restored. PRL

I havent double checked it, but AFAIK Mustang Project does make a sequential kit for the 65.........

I've seen the video for that one and as of that time, a month ago???, the '65 unit used only two bulbs and they alternated, they weren't sequential. They looked like the lights at a railroad crossing. Actually kind of confusing.

Ed

Guest dwhiteside64
I havent double checked it, but AFAIK Mustang Project does make a sequential kit for the 65.........and no offense, but that 12yr old who called a Mustang a Ferrari needs to be taken behind the woodshed for a little American history 101 lesson! I hear this all the time from my friends....their kids have no interest in cars whatsoever. I think they're happy thinking they might not have to eventually buy them one, but instead of an old jalopy to fix up, they're going to want a new Prius to get them to dance class, if you get my drift.( insert obligatory"not that there's anything wrong with that" here) I don't have one of those little monsters myself, so it's up to you breeders to instill the American Dream in them before it's too late, and that includes healthy doses of Automobelia, GI vs Narzis, cowboys & indians, etc! Get on it! You're losin' em! (this editorial brought to you by Rivnik who apologizes for any offensive content)

I love it!!!!

Guest dwhiteside64
It's generational thing:When I was a kid, everything in life was someplace else, and you got there in a car. For kids today, everything in life is still someplace else, but you get there on a screen. Cars are just less relevant to kids today and there are other forms of self expression. It's also a cultural thing: Most of the 20th century was dedicated to celebrating machines that went further and broke speed records. When was the last time you heard about anybody being celebrated for breaking a speed record? The fastest machine now is a computer and it can virtually take you anywhere. It's just the way of the future. For me, there's only one real lament worth contemplating: Historically cars offered young men a way to grow their confidence and sense of accomplishment. Guys who could change a tire, fix their car or even customize it were imbued with a sense of achievement. Pridefully picking up your date in a cool car was good for ego. Fixing it when it broke was even better. Making it personal to your tastes was creative. I worry that young men today have few ways to demonstrate their prowess to women other than bragging about their high score on Grand Theft Auto. It's a confidence thing. Are young men slowly putting themselves out of business? Do young women really need a guy who can't change a tire, can't fix anything, earn less than them and spend all day playing video games? I sound like an old fart, because I sort of am. I'm 50. I have two young daughters who like my old cars, but aren't exactly dying to pick up a wrench. When I see posts from Kaber about his son working on his Riv, my hopes are restored. PRL

I'm 50 too Pete and I feel your pain. I see a slow decay of the John Wayne macho American male persona and I find it very sad indeed...:(

Guest dwhiteside64
I have thought of going to the Woodward Cruise. Usually it is the weekend that precedes the Trans Am nationals that are held here in Dayton. This year is the 30th annual show, I have been taking my Firebird there since the 3rd one. It would be hard for me to get a kitchen pass for 2 weekends in a row and spend that much money in one month. I would love to go, I hear stories at the T/A show. A lot of people go top both! Have fun if you go this year and keep your eyes peeled for an Imp!

Tim

I understand Tim the T/A show sounds like a blast as well. I told my son Scott we should really start looking for early 60's Impalas even though he cannot drive yet - legally anyways! :rolleyes: Now let's see a pic of the Firebird we are hearing so much about!

Guest Kaber
I understand Tim the T/A show sounds like a blast as well. I told my son Scott we should really start looking for early 60's Impalas even though he cannot drive yet - legally anyways! :rolleyes: Now let's see a pic of the Firebird we are hearing so much about!

Well this does fit in with the Youth movement, I bought this car when I was 17 as a beater for my Chevelle. I guess it kinda still is! LOL

image_zps02353b28.jpg

image_zps0f97ad7a.jpg

Here are some youths with a cool car, heading for spring break 1983! Thats me on the left with the Vans!

scan0001_detail_zps74369787.jpg

OK, I'll bite. The year is 1973, and here's my '66 Olds Delta 88, which I bought for $200. This land yacht wowed my future (and current) wife and that was 36 years ago. Feels like only 35, I tell her. (That way I get more time to spend alone in in my garage.) I bought it after my 1964 Skylark coupe (Wildcat 310 V8) was stolen for a joy ride, and stripped because the NYPD never told me it was gathering parking tickets in Brooklyn! Before that, my first car was a 1961 Comet. The Skylark felt like a Caddy by comparison.

post-56475-143142662553_thumb.jpg

Guest Kaber
Here's a 16 year old taking the engine out of a '54 Olds junkyard style about 1965:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]263373[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]263374[/ATTACH] Bernie

Been there, done that! What a cool picture. I never got any pics of our destruction. Worst one I remember, a friend of mine needed a rearend and springs out of a 67 Camaro for a 39 Chevy project. We rolled a nice 67 Camaro body over to remove the rear suspension and axle. While we were up there my friend was working and fell backwards off the side. His pants hooked on the front leaf spring mount and he was dangling and twisting around off the side of the upside down Camaro, feet flailing in the air. I was laughing so hard I could hardly get him unhooked and back on top of the bottom of the car. He was not nearly as amused as I was! That Camaro would bring thousands of dollars today, it really wasn't that bad!

Tim

The kids need to learn this stuff, especially Wowing the future wife. I took mine out in my '66 Riviera the first time and after dinner, when I turned the lights on, they rotated down and swept across the height of an apartment building next door. And she thought I was as prepared as a Boy Scout when she saw the rear seat door handles.

Get them at the right age and you can even talk them into washing your car:

post-46237-143142663266_thumb.jpg A boyfriend with a job and two cars; little did that college girl know how washing that car would lead into a lifetime of washing laundry.

This is an interesting thread. I guess youth is relative, but at only 33 I have been into cars since I was 5 or 6. For me it was all the influence of my father and grandfather taking me to car shows and keeping me involved in the garage. I also enjoy being around people that are older than I am. I like to try and soak up the knowledge they have accumulated and it is nice to have someone to go to that can help me when I reach the end of my rope on a project.

Now that I have my own son I like to find ways to keep him interested so that when he is old enough he can pick up the hobby if he wants. We go to shows and cruises together as often as we can. I think exposure is the best way to grow interest.

Yes being on the younger side here too, 41, I can understand the point of the thread. There are still a few of us into older muscle and we are trying to pass on our passion to the next generation. So far my son, 7, is very interested in older cars. I make it a point to bring him to car shows, tell him which model is which and why some are very special. It's amazing how fast he is picking it up. I hope he sticks with it, we need it for our hobby's future.

I've never understood how Ford managed to sell so many T-birds after the Riviera came out. In 64 and 65 the 40,000 unit limit hadn't been reached for the

Riviera and they were available for sale. The Riviera was 10 times better looking, with a much higher level of trim and 10 times nicer driving, yet the T-bird sold about 65-70 thousand cars each of those two years......I'm totally baffled by this. This is not even mentioning the difference in quality between a Buick and a Ford.

OK Riviera People: My son, now 21, and every one of his homies couldn't care less about old cars. As a matter of fact he didn't get his license until past his 18th birthday. Talking to several of his friend's parents this seems to be a very common trend these days. mitch