Dave Gelinas (XP-300)

I JUST LOVE THE PICTURE OF THIS BUICK...........

4 hours ago, MRJBUICK said:

WOW, Great pics, how many of us wish we could stroll through those pits taking it all in. interesting things, top pic looks like 2 Century hardtops and a 2 door Special sedan, and they have license plates "driven to the race"  in the lower pic on the 55 its interesting to note the sweep spear molding is still on the car, i guess this was before safety rules.  Curious if anyone knows what track this was, pretty long straightaway a couple of cars including the 55 have NC hometowns but that just goes with stock car racing anywhere in the country I am sure someone was racing from North Carolina in those days!

I should have posted these pictures separately since they are in different venues. The buicks actually racing took place in the “Malecon” water front in Havana, Cuba (look at the 🇨🇺 flags).Former Cuban president Fulgencio Batista brought stock car racing sanctioned by the International Auto Federation (FIA) since 1955 and later the Grand Prix from 57 to 60 (60 was last race already under Castro) If you recall, famous Argentinian driver, Frangio, was kidnapped from his hotel by Fidel’s revolutionary gangs to discredit Batista.

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)

Wow -- looks like it was poured onto that driveway!  ;)

• Like 1

On 6/19/2018 at 3:20 PM, Elpad said:

Former Cuban president Fulgencio Batista brought stock car racing sanctioned by the International Auto Federation (FIA) since 1955 and later the Grand Prix from 57 to 60 (60 was last race already under Castro)

If you recall, famous Argentinian driver, Frangio, was kidnapped from his hotel by Fidel’s revolutionary gangs to discredit Batista.

Great info -

but Argentine driver was Juan Manuel Fangio

http://www.grandprixhistory.org/fangio_bio.htm

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Don't know why tourists and travel advertisement call theses "Cuban Cars". To me, they are American made Buicks that most of the shells survived for over 60 years. Don't be surprised if you find them with foreign diesel engines and drive train components just to keep them going as well as the home made convertibles that serve as taxis for foreigners. By the way, Cuba is sporting new european type plates, the old particular plates were orange type colors with province letter designation and the blue tag are state owned vehicles or should  I note vehicles that were once private and taken away from their original owners or families that fled the communist island.

IMG_5303.JPEG

IMG_5311.JPEG

IMG_5312.JPEG

IMG_5314.JPEG

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)
  • Like 2