Classic Car Database?

sustainbuild

Greetings everyone,

I am new to this forum but I have been reading around and learning a lot so thank you to all of the knowledgeable posters out there.

I am currently looking for an online database of vehicle spec information that includes details on all kinds of classic cars (not just estimated prices). I work for a web site that deals with classic car collectors and I am looking for a good reference database of car specs for informational purposes. I have been searching all over the internet, but all I can find are classifieds. There has to be a database just for car specs somewhere. If anyone knows of a good one I would greatly appreciate the info and thank you all in advance.

James

A couple of starting points for you might be the Natioal Service Manuals, which give a lot of specifications and also tune-up data. They are a very reliable source of basic data. One I have covers the years 1928 to 1938 American Cars, which has much more mechamical stuff than the earlier edition, which is predominantly electrical by comparison. The size of these books is roughly 13x9 1/2x3 1/2 inches. They are held together with long scews, so you can disassemble them for page scanning.

Radco Manuals are much smaller, but very comprehensive on carburettor detail.

For more general detail and overall specifications, January (Show) issues of Motor would be as Good a source as any for the early 1920's, and for however long they continued, no doubt. (The only one I personally have for reference is 1921) For UK and European cars, best source may be show issues of Autocar or similar.

Ivan Saxton

Ivan,

Thaks for your help. I will investigate your suggestions. However, I am trying to concentrate on finding an online source for car specs so that it will be more easily compatible with my site. I'm mainly looking to license a database of info that someone else already has compiled on classic cars. This does not mean that it must contain every car from every year produced or that it must have every piece of available information on each car. I just need something that would be sufficient for the average collector to identify the vehicles they own and help them upload some basic information about their vehicles. Most classic cars have been heavily modified or restored anyway so a complete list of factory specs would not be as useful as some of the more basic info. If you know of anything that matches this description I would be greatful.

Thaks in advance for your help

• 14 years later...

Hey there, 
This subject is reeeeaaaally old, but still a great question I'm asking myself about every day.

When you are looking for a great classic car database with true great informations, it's really really difficult to find...!

That's why I've began to work on a simple database for classic car, it's a work in progress, and I assume this work will never be finished!

If you want to contribute or give me some great feedback, do not hesitate!

Here is the link : search.everycars.co

I tried to create my own but gave up several years ago. I simply don't have the access to enough cars nor the knowledge. I got a nasty sunburn from the way I was holding my notepad at Rhinebeck one year and then my computer died where I had everything stored and listed on Excel, I hadn't backed that up when I thought I had. 

I still have what I did create on my website, and have added to the overall album a few times. https://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/automobile-guide/

I use this a lot. You can search the year and make and then drop down the different models of that year. It gives a lot of basics, wheelbase, weight,  engine layout, type of carburetion, breaking system,lubrication capacity, lots of line items and I find it helpful.

http://www.classiccardatabase.com/index.php

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Bloom said:

I use this a lot. You can search the year and make and then drop down the different models of that year. It gives a lot of basics, wheelbase, weight,  engine layout, type of carburetion, breaking system,lubrication capacity, lots of line items and I find it helpful.

http://www.classiccardatabase.com/index.php

I checked the make, model, and year of one particular car just now.  I found at lest one error in their data, but what concerns me the most is how incomplete it is.  The site did not mention all the engines that were available for that particular year, and did not include any of the Spring colors added to the palette after the introduction date.

It makes me wonder just how complete and thorough it is for other makes/years/models.

Craig

16 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

I checked the make, model, and year of one particular car just now.  I found at lest one error in their data, but what concerns me the most is how incomplete it is.  The site did not mention all the engines that were available for that particular year, and did not include any of the Spring colors added to the palette after the introduction date.

It makes me wonder just how complete and thorough it is for other makes/years/models.

Craig

5 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

I think you'd find more accurate information by just obtaining a couple of the "Standard Catalog" books. A LOT more information than what I've seen linked here, too.

You are absolutely right, it can be sparse for some models and I have found inaccurate data for certain cars listed in the site, but it does also have a broad listing with lots of information at one site that can be useful. It I was to give my two cents, you can go here and get some info and then go to the club of that make online, many of them have make and model specific data to either confirm or correct what you’ve read. 

it is only as good as the data put into it. 

3 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I tried to create my own but gave up several years ago. I simply don't have the access to enough cars nor the knowledge. I got a nasty sunburn from the way I was holding my notepad at Rhinebeck one year and then my computer died where I had everything stored and listed on Excel, I hadn't backed that up when I thought I had. 

I still have what I did create on my website, and have added to the overall album a few times. https://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/automobile-guide/

Your whole fotki site is pretty impressive. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, West Peterson said:

I think you'd find more accurate information by just obtaining a couple of the "Standard Catalog" books. A LOT more information than what I've seen linked here, too.

Overall, the 'Standard Catalog' volumes are a great resource. 

I did make an attempt to expand one Editor's knowledge.  About 15 years ago, I sent a rather comprehensive list to James Flammang, Editor of 'Standard Catalog of Imported Cars 1946-2000' of cars that were available in Canada, and not in the USA, and vice versa.  I also included photocopies of the Canadian market literature showing some of these different cars and/or models.  I never did receive a reply from him, or see any updates in subsequent editions of his book.

Craig

6 hours ago, West Peterson said:

I agree with West completely. I think computers are great but after a while get weary of looking and blinking at a screen. A book in my lap or on a table ( the standard catalog books can be quite heavy) is always preferable to me personally. I was around when those catalogs were being researched ( yeah I am old) as I worked for Austin Clark full time  in that time they were done and Bev Kimes was there in Austin's library on almost a daily basis to get those books researched and done. They are very very accurate , I had the honor of proof reading many sections and have done that for other books as well - keep in mind though my era of interest is the WWi to WWII era. I can't really tell you zip about the brass era nor the  post WWII era vehicles.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Your whole fotki site is pretty impressive. 

Thank you...I've maintained it since 2004. Over 400,000 images, almost all of which were created by me, either photos or scans. It's definitely my pride and joy. I've worked hard to create it, but since I enjoy it so much I don't really think work is the correct term. 

• Like 2

When I "google" specifications for a year and make of car I keep getting directed to this website. Some examples:

https://www.conceptcarz.com/s17228/cadillac-series-60.aspx

https://www.conceptcarz.com/s11239/cadillac-series-90.aspx

https://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/specifications.aspx

Screenshot (521).png

Screenshot (522).png

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)