I hope this never happens to me...

Amphicar BUYER

No photo because my camera was at home. (Grrr!) Today while dropping off a package I came out to just miss by seconds, an odd accident.

Seems an elderly man shot out of the car wash between a hydrant and a tree, across a 2 lane street, hit the curb and became airborne landing in the windshield of an early 60's bug. About a distance of 200'+. His 90s full size Pontiac crushed the VW. His license plate was now where the VWs rearview used to be. Front wheels off the ground about 18" with the bottom of the bumper resting on the VWs dash.

Nobody was hurt!!!! The elderly man remained sitting in his car. Several people had to scream at him to get him to let off the accelerator and turn it off. He was obviously very distraught and disoriented and not sure of what just happened.

I would have guessed his age to be late 80 to early 90s. At 1st I was thinking "What an idiot!" but quickly after understanding the circumstances, I became saddened. I am certain that he just drove for the last time. His independence is now gone. What if he lives out of town or alone where public transport is not available, what will he do? Probably off to a care facility. Then what from there? I hope that I never experience what that man is going through at this moment..

Nobody was hurt... this time. Where do you draw the line. My Grandpa drove safely and without incident until his late 90s. Only death by natural causes at age 98 did he stop. Others are not able at 70. If I couldn't drive, that would significantly alter my life.

My grandfather ripped the undercarriage off his last car trying to drive down a road that hadn't existed for 30 years. He'd have driven off a small cliff in another 100' if he hadn't destroyed car in the first 200 bouncing over a partially graded construction site. The car was totaled, and he simply couldn't afford to replace it (Thank God!). His life ended when he was 83, but I think most of him died at only 78.

I also had a close family friend that was found walking 3 miles from home (in the wrong direction) to get a haircut. He was dressed in 5 sets of pajamas (in July) and was carrying about $3000 in cash. He was 96 at the time.

He still had a car at the time which he occasionally drove.

There are hundreds of similar sad stories. I hope at that age I'm able to listen to others, and my pride never outgrows my common sense.

John,

Your story could be in our local paper about once a week. Mostly they drive

through the windows of stores. They always say the accelerator stuck or the brakes failed, but like your guy, their foot is still on the gas pedal.

Here in sunny Florida it's a way of life. Retiree's arrive here for "the rest of their lives" with Do Not Return labels pinned to their cloths.

Up side is sometimes they bring their last car with them and we can buy a

25-30 year old car with 24,000 miles. And, they're not always damaged.

Greetings from the left or right turn from the center lane state!

My dad just turned 89 on Dec. 14th and he is still the good, cautious driver he always was. When my mom was in the hospital my brother or I would follow him home to make sure he was safely there. He drove in the middle of the lane and slightly under or at the speed limit due to it being after dark. Given the choice he does not drive after dark but he proved to us that he can do it and safely. Mom will be 87 on Jan. 7th and is also still a good driver. They both drive their PT Cruiser and the VW camper, which they take to Fla. each winter.

Make no mistake, I keep an eye on them both. And when the time comes, if they will not step down, I will contact the DMV or State Police and have them take the license away. I don't want to face some family and have to explain how I let them continue to drive when I knew that they should not be behind the wheel.

But I also am committed to being there to take them wherever they want to go when and if that day comes.

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

We had an elderly couple drive their car across the sidewalk, over a foot high brick wall, a six foot wide flower bed and through the window of a local restaurant. They were trying to park and got the brake and the gas mixed up. The more they wanted to stop the harder they pressed the gas. Luckily, no one was sitting in the window seats where they made the new front door. The rumor is that they still went inside and ate. I can't confirm this one, though. Glad no one was hurt.

My brother make a comment regarding older people and driving last week that may have some merit. After the age of 72 it should be mandatory to take a driving test, though I doubt in today's world this would ever fly as it would be discrimination not commonsense.

Guest De Soto Frank

"Nobody was hurt... this time. Where do you draw the line. My Grandpa drove safely and without incident until his late 90s. Only death by natural causes at age 98 did he stop. Others are not able at 70. "

"Others are not able at 70." - John, I'm afraid MANY are not able to (drive, safely) at far younger ages (right on down to their teens), and there are far greater numbers of younger bad drivers....

I'm sorry to hear of this incident; especially having parents who are both in their 70's now...it's tough to grow old, and I don't think it's getting any easier as the world "progresses"...

I think EVERYONE should have to take a driving test every time their license is up for renewal...yes it would be "inconvenient", but since most licenses renew every couple of years, it wouldn't be the greatest hassle in the world...might even force people to take their driving a little more seriously...

I hope I go "quietly, in my sleep", before I become too decrepit to function independently...

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Guys,

I guess this isn't the time to tell about the old fellow who died peacefully in his sleep, in spite of all the screaming and yelling from his passengers...

Myron </div></div>

oh! this is on a piece of paper on the wall of a ma & pa sort of small engine and power equipment shop near me, Don's Repair. though he passed away recently (not sure why but he smoked a lot, possibly lung cancer or something frown.gif ), there was a rather large, old man who owned the place, his son, in his 30s i guess, not really sure, runs it now. but anyway the paper says something like "when i die, i want to go peacefully like my grandfather, not kicking and screaming like the kids in the back of his car"

laugh.gif

lol pretty funny. even funnier: another one in there: "For Sale: "old" ford tractor, missing steering wheel and seat. ideal for a man who has lost his [@!#!$] and doesnt know which way to turn" classic.

but on topic - i have heard this idea come up from my mom before--her mother digs her heels in with everything, doesnt always listen to my mom when she suggests something, etc that kind of stuff. she always tells me: "when i get old dont let me get like that. if i do, shoot me". and we always laugh a little, but seriously though, its an interesting thought. me, i cant even begin to think about that, im 17 for cripes sakes. but this thread does make me think. i know i hope that doesnt happen to me, and it does scare me a little.

i wonder if every generation feels that way, like the old people of today probably though that way too when they were young, and look at them. its like an inevitable problem we all may succumb to. who knows...

I live not too far from Green Valley, Arizona, a major age-restricted retirement area populated mainly by ex-midwesterners. There are two popular bumper stickers here (here not meaning in Green Valley proper). The first says "The speed limit in Green Valley is 40 mph: on the freeways, on city streets and in parking lots." The other says "Helen Keller is alive and driving in Green Valley". Neither of the stickers is too far from the truth.

• 2 weeks later...

On a funnier and more positive note, my Grandmother learned to drive in Mayfield, PA around or just after WWI. There was a railroad overpass, and one day another car was coming the other way. It scared her so much that she gave up driving entirely.

Her son and daughter, after my grandfather died, took her everywhere until she passed away in her late 90s!