The Buick Owner's "Bookshelf"

Dave@Moon

• 3 months later...
Guest Mark Macoubrie

Here are a few more ideas for information on your car.

1. Sales Price Sheets. - You find them on EBay and places like the Sloan Musuem have copies of them. They indicate the options avaliable for most models and show the base price of the model and the price for all the options. They also show the sales codes for the options.

2. Wholesale Order Forms - Again these are on EBay from places like Walter Miller autolit.com and Dan at www.factoryautomanuals.com. They show what options could be ordered on each model. For some models they were udpated during the model year.

3. Buick Fact Books - These show the options avaliable on each model, engine sizes, etc. They are small 3 1/2" x 5" booklets leather bound. I have only seen them on Ebay and some dealers.

4. Cars and Parts Magazine catalog of American ID numbers - Good resource to understand VIN numbers, and Body (cowl) tag infomration on a varity of cars.

5. Edmunds - Shows cost of cars and options on cars.

6. PDM (Product Description Manuals), Assembly Manuals or Factory Information Manuals - These are basically the same thing. They show how every aspect of the car was put together in detailed drawings for each model. In early years they were called Factory Information Manuals, later they were called Product Description Manuals. They have the words Assembly Manual on the top of most sheets. There are abridged versions of these for many models (100-200 pages). Full versions are typically 300-500 pages and very very hard to find. I have only heard of ones coming up for sale but they are very good to figure out how the cars were put together.

7. Factory Inspection Books - these are small books used by engineers and inspection folks to inspect the cars at final assembly. These are also extremely rare to find but something to watch for. Hopefully when the BHA gets going they will have some of these items.

8. For owners of cars post 1970 there is Buick microfilm avaliable and the places that have it will do research on your car for you. The Sloan Musuem as part of 1970 and 1972-1983 I think. For $50.00 they will research your VIN number and give you information like the original dealer, options on the car etc. For newer than 1983 You can can contact the GM Heritage Center. For all cars sold or produced in Canada you can contact GM of Canada Vintage Vehicle. For 1970 cars Flint VIN numbers larger than 193??? you can contact the GS Historic Soceity and get the same information. There is currently no information that I am aware of for 1971 or pre 1970 cars.

9. Other sources to get information to add to your shelf include the Sloan Museum and Buick Research center located in Flint MI. Several Registries for all types of cars. I currently operate the 1970-72 GSX Registry and I am always on the look out for rare and intersting documentation, magazine artcles and any other information I can find about these cars. There are also registries for Stage-1 performance option GS's, Grand Nationals, GNXs, 1973-75 Centries, Mid 70's Centurions, 1965 Gran Sports and a ton that I am not aware of I am sure.

10. The internet if a phenominal resource including messageboards, Atlanta Buick.com, Buicks.net and a ton of other places. If you look long enough you can find lots of really cool stuff.

I am always looking for information on 1965-75 Buick GS's so if someone has rare documentation to share I am always open for that.

Mark Macoubrie

1970-72 Buick GSX Registry www.buickgsx.net

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Besides the Color & Trim albums / Product selling Information / dealer brochures etc (1971-1976 only) (still looking for a 1973 Color & Trim album to make it complete) I like to collect rare Buick items on paper.

Today one was delivered through the mail I had never seen before; 1971 Buick Announcement Dealer Marketing Planner (click thumbnails to enlarge):

dsc06134bb5.jpg

dsc06136ot0.th.jpgdsc06138mq1.th.jpgdsc06137dc2.th.jpg

dsc06139zx0.th.jpgdsc06140vy3.th.jpgdsc06142dw3.th.jpg

Another one I really like is:

dsc06132gp9.jpg

dsc06143xe3.th.jpg

And although not paper, but still on my bookshelf: I collected 1973-1975 Buick promo movies (8mm smallfilm in cassettes)and had them transformed to a digital standard. Two examples I uploaded on youtube:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=lGwCtr-ggzk

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=KfGDUn2o3PM

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest wk's_olds

Somewhere among my things, I have 50 years of Buick (1903-1953) and also 75 years of Buick (1903-1978) I was a Buick collector during the 60's and 70s. I had about 150 Buicks at one time. I lived in Elkhart, Indiana, and my wife and I always made the Flint national meet of the BCA. We never missed the ACD (Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg) festival each Labor Day as well. Then in 1981, we moved to California and had to sell or salvage all those old Buicks ranging from 1929 to 1958. The '58 was a Limited. I think my favorite Buicks were thr '38 Century conv., and the '53 Skylark. I never had the good fortune to snag either one. (cries)

• 1 month later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3)Larry Gustin's book on Billy Durant. Has good info on the early days of Buick and its part in the formation of GM.</div></div>

This book (<span style="font-style: italic">Billy Durant, Creator of General Motors</span>) has just been put back into print by The University of Michigan Press. At $20 for a 304 page paperback, it's quite a bargain.

It also was just reviewed in this month's <span style="font-style: italic">Hemmings' Classic Car</span> magazine. The book received one of the most glowing reviews by them that I've read.

0472033026.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From Australia: http://www.buickclub.org.au/

Note postage from Australia to USA will be extra

Pre war Buicks in Australia had Australian built bodies, that were different from Fisher bodies

==

New Unique Buick Book - Available Now

Buick - The Australian Story

A “MUST READ” for all Buick enthusiasts and readers with a special interest in GM’s early Australian history.

With the Foreword by former Holden Public Affairs Manager, Marcus McInnes

Buick, the affordable car to aspire to. Favoured by Australians from the man in the street and the motor enthusiast through to Prime Ministers and ultimately the Govenor General. This is Buicks local history with qualified reference and as Buick was General Motors main product and cash cow in Australia until the mid 1920’s, Buick’s Australian history is virtually inseparable from GM’s early Australian history. The story provides an in depth insite to GM’s entry and establishment in Australia prior to WW II.

Written in chronological format covering Buicks presence and impact in Australia from the very early 1900’s through to the present day. The text in lay terms covers Buick models, how Buicks were sold, who sold them and who bought them. There are many stories of epic Buick travel, particularly in the vintage and veteran years together with Buick’s unique Australian designed and built body styles and purpose built work and professional cars. This 457 page story is illustrated with 750 B&W photographs (many early period pictures), plus 450 other images including early advertising and sales literature.

Published in association with the Buick Car Club of Australia Inc. in NSW., it is available only on direct purchase.

eMail enquiries to - see link above

phone enquiries (02) 4784 2091 or (02) 9629 7957

Price - AU$65 plus AU$15, P&P (Australia only) - Mastercard & Visa accepted

Limited quantity of Hand Bound, Cloth Cover, Hardback edition with Gold Lettering available - AU$95 + P & P

http://www.buickclub.org.au/

Buick The Australian story.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick
fixing formatting due to software update. Fixed image (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hear.....Hear.......I think there ought to be a section of the AACA web site that allows the user to peruse literature on this site. I know this was posted some time ago; however, I just noticed it! (ie. like you're working on your '27 Marmon and need to see a exploded view of the clutch assembly...if this is in an owners manual of the era it would be great to be able to reference it)

• 6 months later...
Guest Kayspet

how do i go about posting on this site, i have a 1990 Buick Reatta that im having master clylinder problems with and i need some information ASAP im a new member here and this has got to be one of the hardest sites i have ever tried to post on, WHY?? anyone that cares to Email me my name on this site is Kayspet

how do i go about posting on this site, i have a 1990 Buick Reatta that im having master clylinder problems with and i need some information ASAP im a new member here and this has got to be one of the hardest sites i have ever tried to post on, WHY?? anyone that cares to Email me my name on this site is Kayspet
Well you seem to haved posted in this sub forum OK :)

Post your Reatta question here Buick Reatta - AACA Forums

Guest Kayspet

1993-Buick Thanks so much for getting back to me, and a first for me in communicating with someone in Australia. glad to meet you. I don,t know how to navagate this site too good yet ,but if you know of someone thats familiar with the ABS system .on a 1990 Buick Reatta i would like to contac them and maybe they could help me get these rear brakes working again. Thanks Kayspet

• 7 months later...
Guest txase

just bought my first buick..a 1962 buick skylark convertible..just stumbled onto this thread and all i can say is thank you, thank you..i'm a very novice mechanic and like the old addage goes, A PICTURES WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS..it is great knowing that there are books out there with detailed pics of what goes where..thank you again for all the information..now on to ebay to try and get a few of these titles

dean

• 1 month later...
Guest donbent

For those interested in the factories behind the cars, the Second Edition of "A Place Called Buick" about the Buick factories in Flint, Michigan, is now available.

This book is a history of the factory site that built Buicks and Buick components for over a century. The site is scheduled to close completely in 2010.

The book can be reviewed and purchased at www.buickbook.com

The price is $45 plus $3 shipping in the U.S.

International shipping is available.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

A couple of recommended readings currently on eBay.

The Post War Year BUIICK is great and contains lots of nowhere else to be found knowledge of these Buicks. a good Buy it Now price

1978 HARDCOVER BOOK ON BUICK DURING THE POSTWAR YEARS - eBay (item 390283361373 end time Feb-23-11 15:56:20 PST)

the Special Interest Auto is great reading on the post war Roadmasters.

SPECIAL INTEREST AUTO #183 52 BUICK-38 CHEVY-47 MONARCH - eBay (item 370478354182 end time Jan-31-11 17:46:39 PST)

and no '49 owner should be without this special brochure on the '49 RIVIERA. Kinda pricey though

1949 BUICK RIVIERA ONLY BROCHURE VERY NICE ORIGINAL - eBay (item 180616806638 end time Feb-23-11 16:50:39 PST)

and no Buick library is complete without Buicks First Half Century

Vintage Buick's First Half Century Book NR - eBay (item 110639983811 end time Jan-31-11 09:10:00 PST)

and one of the best reference books to ever

Vintage 1973 Seventy Years Of Buick Hardback Book - eBay (item 370477595431 end time Feb-01-11 09:06:37 PST)

• 4 months later...
Guest ELECTRA 225

hi all, i am looking for a manual that will tell me the parts to my engine. I have a 1976 Buick Electra 225 7.5L 455cbi. if anyone has a manual for my motor that they can sell i would really like to get it. thanks.

Guest 75RivGS
hi all, i am looking for a manual that will tell me the parts to my engine. I have a 1976 Buick Electra 225 7.5L 455cbi. if anyone has a manual for my motor that they can sell i would really like to get it. thanks.

You better had that question asked in the wanted/for sale section of the board.

1976 BUICK RIVIERA REGAL LESABRE SERVICE SHOP MANUAL 76 | eBay

although the Electra is not mentioned there, that manual covers the Electra as well.

It is also available on CD (search eBay) together with the 1976 Fisher body manual (I personally

prefer a book though)

Guest ELECTRA 225
You better had that question asked in the wanted/for sale section of the board.

1976 BUICK RIVIERA REGAL LESABRE SERVICE SHOP MANUAL 76 | eBay

although the Electra is not mentioned there, that manual covers the Electra as well.

It is also available on CD (search eBay) together with the 1976 Fisher body manual (I personally

prefer a book though)

thanks man will do so. im new 2 the site

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Not mine and I typically only pass on Buy it Now ebay auctions as I don't want to hurt anyones chances that might be watching or bidding or that might be waiting for the last minute to bid but here with no shipping is a copy of "The Buick: A Complete History". Only a few hours left

The Buick A Complete History | eBay

• 1 month later...
Guest 75RivGS

A 1968 Buick Selling Aid package; Buick jewelry, personalized dashboard nameplates, matches, window letters and emblems, stationary, business cards, showroom displays, order forms etc

68buicksellingaid00.jpg

68buicksellingaid05.jpg

68buicksellingaid04.jpg

68buicksellingaid03.jpg

68buicksellingaid02.jpg

68buicksellingaid01.jpg

Nice to know that a '68 Color & Trim album costed $27.50 for the dealer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just added two more books to my library...

Audels New Automobile Guide for Mechanics Operators & Servicemen reprinted in 1944. (I think everybody knows this book.)

STANDARD Auto-Electrician's Manual, Copyrighted and published in 1923 by Standard Engineering & Publishing Co. (This book has wiring diagrams, charging rates, generator adjustments, etc. This book has over 20 index pages listing all the car models from 1914 to the early 20's. I have never heard of many of the cars listed....

• 2 months later...