Odd looking 1956 "Safir"

Budd

My friend Leif in Sweden (he post's here occasionaly) sent me an email with a photo of his newly aquired car. Not sure if you'd call this a "coach built" or not, but it is apparently someone's attempt to put a custom body on a 1956 Buick chassis.

Here's a link that talks about the car, and attached is a copy of the original advertisement that ran for selling these cars. Notice the front grill "V" emblem is a 1956 one, and the portholes look to be from 1956 as well. Hubcaps look to be 56's as well.

Just when you think you've seen everything... smile.gif So apparently Leif has purchased one of these, as is going to restore it. This will certainly be interesting. Leif, keep us updated and post some pic's of the beastie when you get her home!

Budd

Buick-1.jpg

It must be red because the title is "Sapphire Swedish Luxury vehicle" .

I am not sure of the last word but am close.

The first line reads "Which is Sweden's most Exclusive Car ?"

Its been a long time since I have read or translated this. I am amazed I dont have to look up more words. If I get a chance I will work my way through the rest of the article.

That link describes the car as built in 1963, on a modified 41 Buick Special Chassis. Claims it has parts from a Corvette, Chrysler, Ferrari, Ford Thunderbird and Jaguar too. Said it originally had a GM V8 but now has a Chevrolet 305 V*. Can this be evidence the Chevy motor isn't even a GM product? grin.gif.

These are the pictures of the car posted in the link as it appeared in April, 2000.

safir.jpgsafir2.jpg

The link reads:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Year and place: 1963, Ale

Henrik Wiklund was a crafty young man, having built among others a machine for harvesting potatoes. He was interested in motoring too, and had been into TT racing. He has also built boats (before or after the Safir work).

In 1962 he decided to build a car of his own. The result consisted, as often with homebuilt cars, of a mix of parts from various cars and own constructions. But, the Safir is different both inside and outside.

In the bottom is a Buick chassis. I was told that it was registred as a Buick 41 Special rebuilt in 1956, but has a Buick 1958 front end. Other parts inside, and integrated in the aluminium and plastic hard-top body made on a plaster mould, comes from cars like Chevrolet Corvette, Chrysler, Ferrari, Ford Thunderbird and Jaguar. Quite classy parts, that is!

The 2+2-seaters interior follows the rest, equipped among others with a stereo tape recorder.

Initially the Safir had a GM V8 with automatic transmission, but today it has a Chevrolet 305 V8.

Wiklund moved to Stockholm, the capital of Sweden, where he formed AB Amerikanska Karosseriindustrin ('The American Body-industry'). The idea was to sell bodies to be fitted on chassis from the U.S.A. with 280 to 310 centimeter wheelbases.

A folder informs that the bodies were 5 metres long and almost 2 metres wide. They had no wheel openings - these were made by the buyer depending on what chassis was used. The bodies were delivered without lacquer. The body shown in the folder has small fins.

I am not sure if the Safir I was lucky to see is the original one, or one built with a body produced later. But I'm sure that I am glad that it has been preserved so well. Thank you! </div></div>

• 6 years later...

Lief,

THat was quite an undertaking, especially if you had to find out what components were from which car, if any had to be replaced. I think the choice to change it to all white, was a wise one as it looks much "cleaner".

John

Leif, as I said before, what a very cool and unique vehicle. It must have really been a challenge to restore, as John said, with all the very different parts from very different vehicles, and getting them to mate up and work properly. Very nice job! It looks fantastic and I bet it is a pleasure to drive.