What's your highest mileage Buick?

I'll bite.

I'm currently driving a 1989 LeSabre with 236k.  

Not sure how many miles are on the '56.  It says 10K so 110k is probably a safe bet... except for the broken spedo cable.  Let's call it 120k.

My grandfather used to mile cars up pretty bad.  I think his 1st '56 Buick was somewhere in the 200k range (that'll happen when you commute from Lansing to Flint) when he sold it to his brother Marv in '61.  The second '56 he bought in the mid-60s for my uncles to share.  I get the impression that the younger of the 2 uncles treated it a lot like Tank treated his...

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My brother drove a 1987 Skylark for years.   It had a 3.3l v6 and was the only car he couldn't kill.  He drove it like a maniac going as fast as he could to take off then stopping as quickly as possible at the last minute.  One time he pulled up in the driveway and had stopped so hard the left front brake pads caught on fire.  The car had over 250k when he drove it to Florida where it died a couple years later.  Not sure how many miles it eventually accrued.

I have my uncle's '71 LeSabre Custom sedan. He gave it to me in 2000 with 106,642 miles. It now has 112,700 on it, but she needs work in spite of a reasonably well cared for life. I drive it around town occasionally, but don't take it far from home. It was purchased new in October 1971 from Lindemann Buick in Westfield, NJ by some good friends of my uncles, so I have known it since it was new. When they bought a new Century in 1979, my uncle bought it from them for $600. It had 40,000 miles on it then. Unfortunately, it was used in winter salt, so it has had some body work / filler through the years. I need to have the heads and manifolds planed, the tranny is weak (no reverse until the car has warmed up), water leaks in the trunk around the base of the rear window so there is some rust through in the trunk, there is a vibration in the driveline over 50 mph (which started after I had the U joints replaced) and the sending unit for the gas gauge doesn't work - have had the gauge tested and it is ok. 

146K on my 78 Estate wagon.  Picked it up in 2008 with around 99K. I did put some work into it, probably more than I should , but it still runs exceptionally well.  Too bad the rust worm is consuming it faster than I am. Next up is the 56 with 139K.  Fun, fun, fun!!!

Over 237,000 miles on my 1991 Roadmaster Wagon.  I bought it in 2008 just before the Flint National event with 103,000 on it.  I have driven it to all of the BCA Nationals through 2012.  It's been through a few Texas hail storms but drives very well for its age and mileage.

• 2 years later...

My 1999 Buick Century has 323,000 miles with the original engine and transmission. However, the paint is terrible and the clear coat is halfway off.  It is my work car.  It still runs good, but it has had several gaskets replaced through the years. I have driven it to Santa Monica Beach, California, Key West, Florida, Michigan, and through the Rocky Mountains from Denver to Utah down to Las Vegas. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I've only ever owned 1 Buick and that is my 2004 Park Ave. And she's at 173000ish miles and was sitting for 10 years prior to me getting it. I just got her running. I just recently got her but I've but about 150 miles on her since she was fixed. She has many more miles to go 

• Like 1

I had forgotten this thread, Thanks for bringing it back to the top. Bought a 92 Century wagon with the 3300 engine in the fall of 2017. It had 178K on it and it is now up to 197K.  Runs great and has a lot of spunk.  Unlike Ed Asner, may he RIP, I like spunk! 

20191018_130128.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/28/2016 at 8:50 AM, EmTee said:

Only 89K on my '67 Riviera -- still an infant by comparison!

Currently 92K - plus about 110 miles (round-trip) coming up tomorrow with a planned visit to the NE Classic Car Museum in Norwich, NY.  ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I own a 84 Buick Lesabre custom given to my father new in 1984. It has overheated twice, once boiling for over 30 minutes. Mainly I've driven and stored it outside in a Minnesota climate. I have rebuilt the transmission and replaced the timing chain twice. I have never done engine  or carborator work. It has medium rust damage needing a driver's floor feetrest repair once. It's 5 L Olds gas engine does not use a drop of oil. It has well over 250,000 miles. Now it is enjoying semi-retirement in an insulated garage, stored with gas stabiliser in the gas tank and carborator when I am doing missionary work in Africa which is most of the time. It has vintage plates. I've noticed no major or engin problems with city or highway driving. Posted July 27th, 2022. If you have any suggestions or opinions contact me at adamsayles at gmail dot com. 

Edited by Adam Sayles
Clarification. Overheating caused by stuck thermostat in closed position going up a hill on NY thruway on 1993 and snow cought in fan in 1998. (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Adam Sayles said:

It's 5 L Olds gas engine does not use a drop of oil.

I had an '85 Delta 88 with that 307 Olds engine.  That was one of the smoothest running engines I have ever owned (my '04 Silverado 5.3 with 260K on it is the other).  'Swiss watch' smooth -- not big on power, but a good runner.  Had to replace the intake manifold gasket due to a coolant leak.  That was the only issue I had.

Between myself and the previous owner, my current Silverado has over 500,000 miles. It was used when I bought it. 

The new one has I am guessing 14 miles.  It just came in today at the dealer and I hope to pick it up in the next day or so.  It was built in Oshawa, Ontario.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2022 at 1:55 AM, EmTee said:

I had an '85 Delta 88 with that 307 Olds engine.  That was one of the smoothest running engines I have ever owned (my '04 Silverado 5.3 with 260K on it is the other).  'Swiss watch' smooth -- not big on power, but a good runner.  Had to replace the intake manifold gasket due to a coolant leak.  That was the only issue I had.

What year silverado has 500k?

On 9/3/2021 at 1:36 AM, DAVES89 said:

I have 3 Reattas. One with 304,000, one with 278,000, and the 'vert has 135,000 miles. Just "sold" a '89 to a forum buddy with 310,000. Like Ship says "You can't kill a 3800".

• Like 1

My Delta 88 didn't have high miles; it was still under 100k when I sold it.  I've had a couple of 3800s too.  A '90 Bonneville with 110K when I bought it and a '92 LeSabre 'cream puff' (~40K).  Both of those were also great engines - the Pontiac in particular.  With 150K on it I would not have hesitated to get in and drive it cross-country.

• Like 1