Tow capacity with 2-speed Dynaflow

kgreen

Better find a place to install the biggest aux cooler you can find, I suspect.  Might also consider changing the atf to Dexos VI, which is full-syn, too.  PLUS a top-tier trailer brake controller and HD shocks all around.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Like 1

My 60 Electra was bought new by my grandfather because he felt Buick was the best of the time to tow his boats. That car towed boats from 20 feet to 35 feet many times. The 35 foot boat was a large older race boat that had been converted into a family cruse boat. Grandpa used the car as a tow vehicle until he passed in summer of 65. The car has never had transmission problems.  Also, the car is dead stock, no extra coolers etc...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Any extra heat generated from towing is going right into the radiator tank. I have not towed with my '60 Electra but in a slow moving parade creeping along with a steady brake load she will puke out the radiator overflow right in front of the reviewing stand. The idea of rejecting the heat elsewhere is a good one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The main thing would be getting the load rolling.  Which can mean slipping the clutch a little more than normal, initially.  Once underway, only thing holding you back would be available power.

Of course, you know what has to happen to replace a clutch?

NTX5467

• Like 1

On a torque tube Buick, just slightly less aggravating than replacing one in a tractor.

Tractors have to be split in two to access the clutch. Buicks have to have their entire rear axle and torque tube assembly moved rearward to remove the transmission and clutch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the clutch one question would be its age and how long and how many times the car has set idle over the past 76 years. The disk facing could have aged out already and just needs a little nudge to finish it.

Yeah, I know. Thanks for that comment!

Just a note, Dynaflows are variable speed* in D, not two speed. There is a low gear set chosen in L.

*OK, variable torque....😉 No gears involved in D.

• Like 3

On 9/13/2024 at 5:56 AM, EmTee said:

I would think a small teardrop camper would be no issue.

4 Audacious and Creative DIY Teardrop Camper Build Ideas

Love to have that for a trip to Sedona or Prescott.  Impressed by how well she handles at 65 mph.  Shocks need a top up on fluid but she rides as nicely as the 59.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 60s GM Fan said:

...she rides as nicely as the 59.

I'll bet she does!  People are surprised how well my '38 Century rides.  I tell people that if they close their eyes they could easily think they're riding in a car from the '60s or even early '70s.  Cars made a quantum jump in performance and refinement during the 1930s.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EmTee said:

I'll bet she does!  People are surprised how well my '38 Century rides.  I tell people that if they close their eyes they could easily think they're riding in a car from the '60s or even early '70s.  Cars made a quantum jump in performance and refinement during the 1930s.

Idk about your 38 but she sits sorta low so huge bumps I'm extra cautious of.  My only complaint is the low ceiling.  Not fun for a 6'1" fella.  Guess I got too used to the mid century girls?  Friend who's 6'5" said nice car but no go for me.

In the late 1960s we were used a 1958 Buick Super to pull a 2000 lb trailer with a 6,000 lb tractor on it. It pulled with no protest and was much more stable than the 64 Dodge pickup. If pulling in hills or mountains it would be advisable of course to use a transmission cooler and if possible change the rear gears to 3.7 or 4.1.

• Thanks 2

On 9/12/2024 at 5:34 PM, kgreen said:

I think we are talking about a different car now.

Back on the Dynaflow. Yes, to get rolling but also to maintain cruising.

To rephrase this question: "What is the Torque Capacity of the Dynaflow?"

Buick bragged of the 445 ft. lbs torque on Nailhead Air Cleaners that the Dynaflow should be good for it too.

The 1st stage turbine has the same 1.76 under-drive ratio as the Powerglide. Once launched, torque gradually transfers to the main turbine. Meaning torque on the 1.76 mesh diminishes until there is negative torque if it were not for a free wheeling clutch.

Once the main turbine takes over, centrifugal force flings fluid to outer circumference just like a conventional torque converter, a fluid coupling.

Key is torque converter diameter and engine cruising RPM. More for both is better to keep from generating heat.

On the Riviera Forum, a member has a 1963 where the Original Owner ordered it with a 3.90 final drive, keeping RPMs up and a more solid coupling than a 3.07 ring & pinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1