new member private message

10 minutes ago, TerryB said:

I think they need to have a minimum number of postings by them first to get PM message sending permission.  Ten messages comes to mind.

the reason i ask is i received a private message from a member who joined 3 days ago and has no postings

he has sent me a email link to someone he says has a part i was looking for and posted in parts wanted almost a year ago

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 31 LaSalle said:

the reason i ask is i received a private message from a member who joined 3 days ago and has no postings

he has sent me a email link to someone he says has a part i was looking for and posted in parts wanted almost a year ago

There is a 99% chance this is a scam.  I have also wondered how these scammers with zero to 5 posts are able to send PMs.  It used to be that minimum 14 posts were required to send a PM

Kent

• Like 5

Mr. LaSalle, I agree that that was a scam.

Sometimes a criminal will join, and then

make a succession of nearly useless postings

to establish "credibility" and earn the right to

send private messages.  Such postings are

usually very brief and add nothing to the

forum conversation, such as "Nice car."

Other times, the postings may be nearly

copies of someone else's legitimate posting

above, to try to sound authentic.

Have scammers ever thought of the punishment

that awaits them for lying, cheating, and stealing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Mr. LaSalle, I agree that that was a scam.

Sometimes a criminal will join, and then

make a succession of nearly useless postings

to establish "credibility" and earn the right to

send private messages.  Such postings are

usually very brief and add nothing to the

forum conversation, such as "Nice car."

Other times, the postings may be nearly

copies of someone else's legitimate posting

above, to try to sound authentic.

Whoa…are you aware that the appropriate steps are to report this to Peter Gariepy?  

How about placing a picture of a gallows next to AACA headquarters.  It just might scare the spammers away.

• Like 1

Agree. Let us know who sent the PM so admins can deal with it. 

Terry

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Agree. Let us know who sent the PM so admins can deal with it. 

Terry

The pm I got came from SANMERE who joined only this week and has no posts

If he is genuine I apologize 

• Like 1

I got the same thing this morning. A member with no previous posting was telling me his friend had a part I was looking for months ago. He suggested I email his friend "he might still have the part".  I thought it was strange because in my posting I noted I had since located and purchased the part I needed. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TerryB said:

I think they need to have a minimum number of postings by them first to get PM message sending permission.  Ten messages comes to mind.

I thought so but apparently not, judging by my inbox recently.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bruce W said:

I got the same thing this morning. A member with no previous posting was telling me his friend had a part I was looking for months ago. He suggested I email his friend "he might still have the part".  I thought it was strange because in my posting I noted I had since located and purchased the part I needed. 

If you would have immediately reported it the Administrators could have tracked and banned whomever.  CLICK ON THE 3 LITTLE DOTS AT THE TOP CORNER OF ANY POST.  THEN A DROP DOWN WILL GIVE YOU 2 CHOICES:  1-REPORT  2-SHARE.  CLICK ON “REPORT”.  Then it will display a Comments area.  Type in the spammers handle.  Without the handle (screen name) Admins will not be able to track and ban.

To threaten in public the wrath of fire and brimstone such the spammer will one day pay for his transgressions serves no purpose..

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Type in the spammers handle.  Without the handle (screen name) Admins will not be able to track and ban.

WHAT? Today I learned. Do you mean when I report a spam post the software doesn't tell the administrators which user posted it? That is completely insane, but it explains a lot. I'll type the screen name in the future.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It’s a damn shame when you can’t even be on a site like this and have to worry about some scumbag attempting to rip you off somehow. 
In real life situations I rarely leave my circle, sad but true.

My best advice is to stay on the defensive and think like a criminal. You will remain a step ahead. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bloo said:

WHAT? Today I learned. Do you mean when I report a spam post the software doesn't tell the administrators which user posted it? That is completely insane, but it explains a lot. I'll type the screen name in the future.

No, Bloo…they can see they can see the user.  I always post the name and reason at issue. Sure doesn’t hurt.  Should a post be vague as to why I take offense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 31 LaSalle said:

The pm I got came from SANMERE who joined only this week and has no posts

If he is genuine I apologize 

I just got this PM from SANMEGE 0  today. (Note difference in spelling).  It is the third SCAM response to my "Parts Wanted" ad in about 3 months. Different user ID's on the other two however.

I'm deleting the ad and won't repost another.

• Talk to Daniel (danielshumate75@gmail.com). He had few months back and may still have it.

•  

6 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

What punishment? At least in this world. I've often wondered why, with all the "surveillance" we are subject to, no government agency has ever taken this problem seriously enough to do something about it. It beggers belief that the technology is not available and it wouldn't be a matter of finding all of them...just finding a few and and making a public example of them would likely slow things down. I realize many are out of the country but many of those countries receive millions in foreign aid and I find it hard to believe they would baulk at unmasking a few thieves.

7 hours ago, Reynard said:

I just got this PM from SANMEGE 0  today. (Note difference in spelling).  It is the third SCAM response to my "Parts Wanted" ad in about 3 months. Different user ID's on the other two however.

I'm deleting the ad and won't repost another.

• Talk to Daniel (danielshumate75@gmail.com). He had few months back and may still have it.

• HI Reynard  your pm is the same message I got from sanmere
  • it does not seem right that a new member with no posts and only just joined should be able to send pm
  • this has put me of trying to source parts 

If you click the three dots in the right upper corner of the PM, you can then click on "Report" to send it to the moderators to make them immediately aware of the scammer so they can take care of it.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2024 at 2:09 PM, Peter J.Heizmann said:

To threaten in public the wrath of fire and brimstone such the spammer will one day pay for his transgressions serves no purpose..

Oh, but it makes us feel better, and that is important.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1