What is this car?

Mike Soncini

It looks like something someone made up out of plywood and imagination. However?

Not so fast! Some years back I knew a Willys/Overland collector that had I don't know how many Willys, Overland, and Whippet automobiles, most nicely restored and reliable tour cars. He was quite active in our Nickel Era Touring Club, and I often saw him driving different and beautiful Willys related automobiles on club tours. One such unusual car was an early 1920s small Overland three door sedan, that looked very much like this car!

His was a real deal "restored original" car and beautiful! It was small, and one of the boxiest looking cars I ever saw. It was a bit slower than most of the rest of the nickel era cars, but kept up well and performed flawlessly the couple days of the tour.

The one you show pictures of I suspect to be something somebody had made up. Is it  yours? Or something you are looking at? Considering buying or selling? If made up, I suspect by someone that had seen a real one or photos at least. But I cannot be certain from just these two photos and memory of a car I saw twenty years ago. Looking closely at the construction could determine what is real, or what is fantasy.

Dusty C beat me by a minute!

• Like 2

No self-respecting body maker of those times would have let that out the door, definitely not a factory body!  There are many 1920's sedans coming on the market and little demand for most.  Be selective, find the best one you can for the money that runs and has its original factory body. Good Luck with your search.

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Mike Soncini said:

Thank you. It’s been difficult trying to find anything from the era. I appreciate the advice. 

Check the For Sale - Not Mine forum, a group of us re-post cars found for sale all over the country, one might be just the ticket. Good Luck!

• Like 1

WIllys Overland fielded a three door sedan in 1923-1924 called the Champion. Two doors on the passenger side and a driver side door. The idea was to compete with Fords. The original body looked much like the one pictured. Very much like a cracker box. After a closer inspection, this may be an original body with an extremely poor paint job. Zeke

Edited by zeke01 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Good Call.

The landau irons are missing on yours but you can see where they would attach in the photo

1923 Overland Champion Model 91

Champion.jpg.6ce57e8c83497db99bed5e4cf93d678a.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wmsue said:

Good Call.

The landau irons are missing on yours but you can see where they would attach in the photo

1923 Overland Champion Model 91

Champion.jpg.6ce57e8c83497db99bed5e4cf93d678a.jpg

Wow! 2002 photo, and not only do I believe that is the car I toured alongside on a Nickel Age Touring Club tour? I suspect that the touring car top about five cars down that line may be my (then) 1915 Studebaker six! The tour drove down to Monterey California, and I recall parking in a lineup alongside a building like that. 

Can you tell me where that photo came from?

14 minutes ago, Mike Soncini said:

Thank you. I’m interested in the car but am worried about the wooden body. It seemed like it wasn’t a real option. 

The three door sedan was a real body style offered by Willys Overland. There was even a Willys Knight version of it on the smaller Knight chassis (another very good friend had one of those!). 

That car needs to be looked at by someone familiar with cars and sedan bodies of the early 1920s to determine if it is a real one, or something someone made up in more recent years. Methods of construction, materials used, and remnants of original construction all need to be looked at. It needs to be evaluated up close and personal by someone familiar with cars of that era. It needs to be evaluated both for correctness as well as general condition. It could be something someone made up? Or it might be a real deal three door sedan? I cannot tell from these couple photos.

IF (big IF) it is the real thing, and fairly solid condition? $4500 would be a decent price needing a fair amount of restoration work. If it needs a complete and total re-restoration, the price is a bit high. If the thing is a made up fake body? The price is way too high. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Soncini said:

I was told that the wooden body is original. What’s your feeling on that? 

Wood framing with a metal skin overlay. Otherwise known as composite construction. The body has a wooden skeleton underneath the outer metal skin. Zeke

1 hour ago, Mike Soncini said:

So do this body look factory to you?

With only a couple of photos to go by it’s not easy to tell, but I would say that it is mostly “factory”. Zeke

Got a few more dollars in your wallet?

You can buy one that may be further along in the restoration process.

Championforsale.jpg.71fc31a206455c799c097bbfb84b4c4a.jpg

• Like 1