1933 Terraplane 8 - $15,000

Actually just a portion of one. I guess we should be happy that any of it is still around. Lots more text (but no more pics) in ad. 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/el-sobrante-1933-terraplane/7772702413.html

1933 Terraplane Phaeton with its original running, stopping, and shifting drivetrain. The dash is from a rear 1936 Dimond T and the rear half was made into a convertible. I have a convertible top folding frame that will go with the car. It also has two side-mount tires not seen in the pics. I drive this car to the store and back once a week and have never had any problems. I think it would make a great surf buggy or paint it and enjoy it just the way it is. This is a very rear automobile, but there is a very active club that is decated to keeping them going.

email:  442119e918aa3f2e84f71422adadd541@sale.craigslist.org

1933 Terraplane 100000_dDR5mxkorip_0CI0lJ_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

This is a very rear automobile,

It isn't much of anything after being butchered. If a different color it would be a fun car to drive but that's about it. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

It strains my memory to recall (and I could be off, here) but I think that the eight cylinder version of this car was John Dillinger's favorite "get away car" because of it's unmatched speed.

That’s true.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

It strains my memory to recall (and I could be off, here) but I think that the eight cylinder version of this car was John Dillinger's favorite "get away car" because of it's unmatched speed.

Correct!  Good memory.  Dillinger did in fact "acquire" several '33 Essex Terraplanes, preferably 8 cylinders for making withdrawals from banks.   One that he bought, that was used in a robbery and acquired some bullet holes discovered during the car's restoration still exists.  It is documented and you may have seen it in all its INAUTHENTIC restoration of a brick red with whitewalls.   John Dillinger used the Terraplanes because they had the fastest acceleration of any car of 1933.  Literally the best horsepower to weight ratio.   But if at all possible he got black ones, cars that blended in with other cars of the day.  And for pursuits into the night, they had to have blackwall tires to be less likely to be seen.  AND since the standard ET8 came with argent painted wheels and grille, John painted over them with black.  Gangsters gonna gangster.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, StillOutThere said:

And just like that, here is a convertible coupe body shell (and more?) just listed.

https://www.facebook.com/share/2doEjawyMqXBsytf/

Product photo of 1932 Hudson Terra Plane

Only about 90 minutes from where the Chassis is! By the way that Dillinger car is THE ONLY one that should have a tommy gun in the back seat. 

First time I showed in AACA.  '33 Essex-Terraplane 8 convertible coupe replete with my period costuming.  First Junior 1982.   I believe the venue was in "Industry Hills, CA".  Sheraton hotel at the time.  Even then it took two cars to build one plus locating parts still not with either.

AACAShow'82.jpg

• Like 7