Replacement fuel lines?

Zimm63

I have been pleased with the fit of replacement brake lines from both Classic and Inline Tube on a couple of my relics.  

Now, looking at the 63 Riviera and contemplating adding a booster fuel pump, I am thinking of replacing the lines.  There is enough exterior rust that I am not sure I can get a good seal with the compression fittings I plan to use.  

That being said, Inline offers preformed fuel and return lines.  Classic does not.  

Anyone had experience with them?  Good fit?   

1 hour ago, Zimm63 said:

here is enough exterior rust that I am not sure I can get a good seal with the compression fittings I plan to use. 

I use my brake line flaring tool and use flare fittings instead.  No leaks!  ;)

P.S. I also use the brake flare tool to form a 'bubble' at the end of a steel line where a hose will be slipped over and clamped.

• Like 4

Zimm, I got my fuel line and return from In Line fuel lines. The bends were preformed

And that was fine. Fishing the lines through engine bay had me biting through the chassis. Truth told I cannot remember how I accomplished the getting the lines where they had to go. TAKE A lot of pictures of the current fuel line installation. 

Turbinator

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Zimm, I got my fuel line and return from In Line fuel lines. The bends were preformed

And that was fine. Fishing the lines through engine bay had me biting through the chassis. Truth told I cannot remember how I accomplished the getting the lines where they had to go. TAKE A lot of pictures of the current fuel line installation. 

Turbinator

Other than replacing a heater core on a first generation Riviera, fishing the fuel line up to the engine is my second least favorite thing to do!😩

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I bought a new main fuel line from Inline Tube for my '63, and it seemed to fit well. My car doesn't have air conditioning, so I didn't need the return line. 

• Like 1

I've used In-Line for three different brand vehicles. Very satisfied with the fit on all of them. A friend used the stainless-steel version on his '65 GS restoration. Fit was good but we found them very difficult to get to seal. It took multiple tries of tightening and loosening to make the lines seal. 

JM.02W

Loren@65GS.com

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kegart said:

The inline tube fuel line fit well for me. I was surprised how much rubber gas line is on a '63. 

Kevin 

Kevin, as I recall I had a bit of rubber gasoline line joined at the tank and a bit to the carburetor. I'm my opinion 2 feet of rubber for the 63?

Turbinator

When I redid the gas line on my 64, the rubber line to the fuel pump started at the firewall, then snaked through the right front coil spring pocket where there’s a very hard to reach clamp before getting to the fuel pump. Then another rubber line snakes through the a/c - alternator bracket to the fuel filter. Then a shorter hose from the filter to the carb.  If you have a/c and a fuel return line, the return hose has no specific routing back to the steel return line.  Both steel lines, supply and return, truncate at the same point under the floor at the firewall.

18 hours ago, RivNut said:

When I redid the gas line on my 64, the rubber line to the fuel pump started at the firewall, then snaked through the right front coil spring pocket where there’s a very hard to reach clamp before getting to the fuel pump. Then another rubber line snakes through the a/c - alternator bracket to the fuel filter. Then a shorter hose from the filter to the carb.  If you have a/c and a fuel return line, the return hose has no specific routing back to the steel return line.  Both steel lines, supply and return, truncate at the same point under the floor at the firewall.

Thats how mine is set up.  Not worried about the engine compartment end so much as how it goes over the rear end etc.  That looks like it could be an adventure.  

The rear end is simple.  The hose from the tank connects to the solid line with clamps.  There is nothing to route. The only problem you might run into would be if you need to drop the tank to access the sending unit where the supply tube is.  As long as you have the tank down, put a new “sock” on the pickup tube and run a dedicated ground wire from the sending unit to the chassis/body.  On my ‘64, while all that was accessible, I installed an electric fuel pump.  Wired to only prime the carb after sitting for long periods, and as low in the line and as close to the tank as possible.  

On 7/26/2024 at 9:27 AM, Loren@65GS.com said:

I've used In-Line for three different brand vehicles. Very satisfied with the fit on all of them. A friend used the stainless-steel version on his '65 GS restoration. Fit was good but we found them very difficult to get to seal. It took multiple tries of tightening and loosening to make the lines seal. 

JM.02W

Loren@65GS.com

Always more difficult to get stainless to seal due to the hardness of the material. I have found the same to be true for brake lines, exhaust connections, etc...

Tom

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2024 at 7:13 AM, kegart said:

The inline tube fuel line fit well for me. I was surprised how much rubber gas line is on a '63.

On 7/27/2024 at 11:51 AM, RivNut said:

The rear end is simple.

The rear end makes sense too.

I only replaced hoses at both ends and upgraded to SAE 30R9 fuel injection hoses and FI clamps. I am still running the original 3/8" supply and 1/4" return tubing.

Even though like-for-like REGULAR SAE 30R7 hoses would've been good too. I feel better with the hose upgrade because I find the connection at the front is too low. There is a head down there, probably because the mechanical fuel pump needs it.

A leak at the rear, you'd be sucking air. A leak at the front? Well . . . .

4 hours ago, XframeFX said:

The rear end makes sense too.

I only replaced hoses at both ends and upgraded to SAE 30R9 fuel injection hoses and FI clamps. I am still running the original 3/8" supply and 1/4" return tubing.

Even though like-for-like REGULAR SAE 30R7 hoses would've been good too. I feel better with the hose upgrade because I find the connection at the front is too low. There is a head down there, probably because the mechanical fuel pump needs it.

A leak at the rear, you'd be sucking air. A leak at the front? Well . . . .

I redid all the lines and hoses on my 64 when it was on a lift and I redid my rear brake lines.  I also went with FI hoses at every place there was a hose plus a couple of short pieces to connect the hard lines to the electric fuel pump I installed.

• Like 1