A great BCA National Meet in Strongsville

My wife and I returned from Strongsville, OH and the BCA National Meet this week. We drove our 1969 Riviera from Fort Worth, TX to Strongsville, enjoyed the four days of the meet and then took a side trip to eastern Tennessee for family genealogy research and returned to Texas.  The BCA meet had 373 Buicks registered, over 800 folks attended, and lots of interaction among attendees.  I entered our Riviera in the 400 point judging since I had not had it judged in AACA or BCA before.  I was unable to attend the 2024 ROA meet in Lexington, KY due to a conflict but I did attend the 2022 ROA meet in Branson, MO where the car was a top three class winner.  I was very pleased that the car was awarded a Senior Gold award after the judging.  It was great to see old friends and make new ones at the BCA meet.

We travelled over 2900 miles in the Riv, used the A/C many days. I  got 13.5 - 14.4 miles per gallon, the lower number when I filled the tank with 89 octane instead of 93.  With 89 octane the car 'dieseled' when I turned it off. I was trying to save money since 93 octane was as high as $4.79 per gallon in several states but I learned my lesson and stayed with 93 after that experience.  I kept the speed to 60-65 mph as I did not want to stress the engine and mechanicals although they have all been re-built. With a speedometer that reads 8 mph slower than actual speed and no cruise control I was constantly keeping the needle at 55 - 63 MPH on the speedometer.  The windshield wipers got a good workout as we left Texas, through southwest corner of Arkansas, and Kentucky as hurricane Beryl showers followed us into Ohio.

All in all it was a great meet and good time in the Riviera.

DSC_9750.JPG

IMG_6935 - Copy.JPG

IMG_6942 - Copy.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chasander said:

2 in our group come home with Covid

I was at the Packard meet 60 miles away, and a bunch of us came home with it also............it's back, and everywhere. My third time.......and this was the worst one. 

• Thanks 1

We were not staying at the HQ hotel so we were not among the crowds all day.  We did not take any tours on the bus so that may have helped not being around folks who may have been infected.  We were interacting with friends mostly and they seemed health.

Chuck

Anyone notice all the late-model Corvettes that tried to crash the meet? Melanie and I were near the entrance and we counted nearly a dozen of them just rolling in like they belonged there. It's as if those guys just go out driving on a Saturday afternoon looking for any car show and expect to be greeted with open arms. One guy left particularly angry--dude, it's the Buick nationals and you're surprised they won't let your 2009 Corvette in? Pffft.

• Like 5

I guess that WE in the car hobby know who built which vehicles, for the last 100 years or so, or at least what GM brands included, so perhaps we figure others are that way too?  Or perhaps expectations of same, in the general public, are not accurate (or anything close to that)?

Sorry to hear about the virus issues!  I hope everybody gets well!

NTX5467

Zero!  I told him that it was the Buick Nationals.  That said, I might be wrong, but I don't recall seeing any banners or signage at the main road identifying it as the Buick Nationals.  So, I can't blame anyone who didn't immediately realize it was an all-Buick (with one Opel) event...

9 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Zero!  I told him that it was the Buick Nationals.  That said, I might be wrong, but I don't recall seeing any banners or signage at the main road identifying it as the Buick Nationals.  So, I can't blame anyone who didn't immediately realize it was an all-Buick (with one Opel) event...

At the 2011 BCA National in Danvers, MA, we put Buick Club signs on the main road (Rte. 1) near the turn to the hotel.  Problem was that folks kept snatching them up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dship said:

At the 2011 BCA National in Danvers, MA, we put Buick Club signs on the main road (Rte. 1) near the turn to the hotel.  Problem was that folks kept snatching them up.

There might be one hanging on the wall in my garage Dave!🤣. Just kidding!

• Haha 2