Roachy '65 Gran Sport sells for $30,500

Depends what level restored to. Depends how much of own labor the owner can do. So anywhere from $50k to 200k to respectable show and running condition.

Doesn't have to be restored. Go through it mechanically and drive it.

Or maybe buyer has a rust free clean base model and all the GS hardware will be transferred and poof!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JZRIV said:

Or maybe buyer has a rust free clean base model and all the GS hardware will be transferred and poof!  

That ^^^

The buyer probably noticed the crazy money these have recently brought...

The comments section is more interesting than the car

One guy wants a paint meter put to it

Another is "out"because a water shield is bent

Also are the pipe smoking riviera professors, the expected regular king pins giving their stamp of approval 

How does one find time to ply their craft by working on an actual car when troll fishing the WWW every day, all day to further proclaim their expertise 😆 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, gungeey said:

The comments section is more interesting than the car

One guy wants a paint meter put to it

Another is "out"because a water shield is bent

Also are the pipe smoking riviera professors, the expected regular king pins giving their stamp of approval 

How does one find time to ply their craft by working on an actual car when troll fishing the WWW every day, all day to further proclaim their expertise 😆 

Lol...by copy and paste ing everything they find on the WWW while someone else works on their cars...if they actually have a car.

There's a big difference between knowing cars and knowing how to work on cars. The former generally identify themselves by running out of copy and paste clichés during discussion; some last longer than others, dependent on the size of their "libraries".

A thorough knowledge of knowing HOW to work on cars only comes with "hands on" experience and takes one where the WWW and reading a shop manual can't.

Knowledge is great to have going in, but really knowing only comes with hands on experience.

One can't really learn to work on cars by spending ALL day on the WWW, It's just that simple.

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)
  • Like 6

it is good for us owners that the cars are now so appreciated that they bid them up.  On the other hand, just do not think that people realize how much it costs to restore, and in addition where to find someone to do it, and then someone to do a good job.  That Grand Sport that went for 200 has some poor workmanship on it, just look at the seat and armrest recovering job!

5 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Doesn't have to be restored. Go through it mechanically and drive it.

Yes to #1 and Yes to #2. The latter being a shortcut to a nicer specimen since the GS is just a pkg and not reflected in the VIN. Or, transfer the VIN as well.

2 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

There's a big difference between knowing cars and knowing how to work on cars. The former generally identify themselves by running out of copy and paste clichés during discussion; some last longer than others, dependent on the size of their "libraries".

A thorough knowledge of knowing HOW to work on cars only comes with "hands on" experience and takes one where the WWW and reading a shop manual can't.

I learned of the 1965 Riviera GS after joining this Forum in 2016. Prior to that the only GS I was aware of for 1965 was the Skylark. Otherwise, the condition of this one sold for too much.

But, it's a  heavily optioned GS and it does run and drive!

Also being a SW car, rust can't be nearly has bad as a NE car. If it were a Quebec Canada car, there would be no metal for those ribbed rocker panels to cling to.

However, I've known but re-learned to work on a less raunchy specimen!

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

I was laughed at and ridiculed by knowledgeable local Riviera people when I bought my non-GS Riviera in 1978. They said I paid too much/ I can't remember if it was $1900 or $2100, one or the other. They said $1,000 would buy one as good as theirs.

I have an easy reply to people who say my price on a car I sell may be too high.

"Oh, well, buy the other one/"

"Which other one?"

"The cheaper one. You'll find it."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

I was laughed at and ridiculed by knowledgeable local Riviera people when I bought my non-GS Riviera in 1978. They said I paid too much/ I can't remember if it was $1900 or $2100, one or the other. They said $1,000 would buy one as good as theirs.

I have an easy reply to people who say my price on a car I sell may be too high.

"Oh, well, buy the other one/"

"Which other one?"

"The cheaper one. You'll find it."

Sorry Sir, sounds like this isn't the car for you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I bought my non-GS Riviera in 1978.

I traded a rough but rust free and drivable 1967 Cutlass Conv for my Riviera in 1979 or, was it early 1980?

I would've kept that Cutlass if it weren't so big and 1st Gen Rivieras so cool!

In my opinion that was a fair price. Bamboo Cream with deluxe black interior and wood wheel

is a great combo. It looks like a decent starting point for a quality resto, and if done right

could be worth 200K.

The car does have potential for someone the funds or skills to bring her back to her former glory. My only concern would be as to who did the engine rebuild. Was it someone with nailhead experience that knew not to do the dreaded line hone to the crankshaft tunnel that results in a permanent loose timing chain? 

On 7/11/2024 at 12:07 AM, 1965rivgs said:

Lol...by copy and paste ing everything they find on the WWW while someone else works on their cars...if they actually have a car.

Knowledge is great to have going in, but really knowing only comes with hands on experience.

One can't really learn to work on cars by spending ALL day on the WWW, It's just that simple.

Tom

Whole heartedly agree.  My belief is those that post negative comments regarding others work are very unlikely to do any real work themselves.  Those of us that do work on our cars wont slam anothers build - even if its not to our taste.