Who can identify this Buick ?

Hello the AACA, 

I just got this car from an old women, her husband died and he owned several old cars.

I see on a plate on the car that it is a :"Buick Coupe Opera 1930". But I can't find any informations of the car on the web.   

So I am here to find more informations : the exact model of the car, a value of the Buick (almost nothing has been changed apart from some parts under the hood ) the motor is the orginal, and I don't know how to start the car ! 

If you have any tips or clue you will be very gentle.

PS: There is some picture of the car 

IMG_6101.jpg

IMG_6100.jpg

IMG_6099.jpg

299c5b7e-e942-499d-b654-1148afa343b9.jpg

IMG_6095.jpg

IMG_0166.jpeg

IMG_0163.jpeg

IMG_0164.jpeg

IMG_0165.jpeg

Edited by Paul APPEL (see edit history)
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Paul APPEL said:

Hello the AACA, 

I just got this car from an old women, her husband died and he owned several old cars.

I see on a plate on the car that it is a :"Buick Coupe Opera 1930". But I can't find any informations of the car on the web.   

So I am here to find more informations : the exact model of the car, a value of the Buick (almost nothing has been changed apart from some parts under the hood ) the motor is the orginal, and I don't know how to start the car ! 

If you have any tips or clue you will be very gentle.

PS: There is some picture of the car 

Where are you located?  France?  Location accounts for a lot of the value.

Here is a reorientation of a couple of the pictures.

IMG_0165.jpeg.14044256ac017fab64f7f168223db4b2.jpeg

IMG_0166.jpeg.a2e84f19fb71082f933422720bdc8c4a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

Where are you located?  France?  Location accounts for a lot of the value.

Here is a reorientation of a couple of the pictures.

IMG_0165.jpeg.14044256ac017fab64f7f168223db4b2.jpeg

IMG_0166.jpeg.a2e84f19fb71082f933422720bdc8c4a.jpeg

Thank you for redirecting me! Yes, I am in France. In a company : "FARDIER AUTOMOBILE" located in a town in the north-east of France called SARRE-UNION.

The address is : 10A Rue de la Gare ZI Bruehl, 67260 Sarre-Union. 

If you have any other clue or contact, I'll take it !

IMG_0163.jpeg.d65d18195086bc8697a7c621c28d7ec6.jpg.03dfaa737d589f0eaa73026d76dea2bc.jpg

2 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

I always thought the firing order started with #1.. Is it read right to left?

It is weird to start with "5".  Google has it that pop rivets were invented in the late 1930's.  I doubt Buick would have used different rivets for each tag.

Weren't there still Buick sixes in 1930?

As for #1 location, #1 is the furthest cylinder toward the front of the engine almost always. This means that if it is a "V" engine, and it does not have fork and blade rods, one bank will have a cylinder slightly more further forward than the other. That is why many GM and Chrysler "V" engines have #1 on the left, and many Ford engines have #1 on the right. The cylinder is a little further forward. What happens with the rest of the cylinder numbering is a crapshoot depending on who made the engine.

Note that it is the front of the engine, not the front of the car. Old Saabs, some French cars, and a few other less commonly seen models may have the engine in backwards in comparison to what we would consider normal in the US. On an old Saab 99 or 900 for instance, cylinder #1 and the front pulley are at the firewall, but the flywheel and clutch are right behind the grille.

On rear engine cars it is the same. On a Fiat 600 or 850 #1 is toward you when you open the hood, but the hood is at the back, so even though #4 is the furthest forward on the car, the flywheel is also forward, so the #1 cylinder facing you at the very back of the car is still at the front of the engine. On transverse engine cars, it still holds even though the engine is in sideways. If you are facing the side with the front pulley and belts, the cylinder closest to you is #1.

Like any rule there are exceptions, but follow this and you will be right 99% of the time.

1931 is first year for the 8 cylinder, 1930 would be 6 cylinder. 

The riveted tag is odd, I wonder if it is simply labeling which plug wire is going to which cylinder. Definitely not original. 

Very cool car! Looks like it's been converted to 12 volt- see alternator, new coil, aftermarket modern heater blower

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Edwin The Kid said:

The riveted tag is odd, I wonder if it is simply labeling which plug wire is going to which cylinder. Definitely not original. 

The firing order. (Like you said)

1931 was the first year of the 8 cylinder engine.   As noted above... check the wheelbase and that should establish the series. 

On a 90 year old car little things might be from another year because the correct year part is not available.  

From reference material the 1929 would have 3 horizontal components to the bumpers.   The 1930 has 2 

Bonjour: If you refresh the engine paint it should be green. An outstanding find! Congratulations on a remarkable car and welcome to the pre-war forum. This place is full of accurate advice and candid opinions. Bonne chance mon ami.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/21/2024 at 9:51 PM, Oregon Desert model 45 said:

This looks to me like a 1930 Model 58 4 passenger coupe which has a 124" wheelbase.  Buick sold 5275 of this model. 

There was also a model 68 coupe on a 132" wheelbase, pictured below, which had a longer rear window, but I think we can rule out model 68

30-68.jpg

Yes, I think you are right ! I just verified the wheelbase, and it's 124".

So if I resume, I have a Buick 1930 model 58 coupe. But with the 5275 in this model, is the car rare or not ? 

Edited by Paul APPEL (see edit history)
  • Like 1