1934 Chrysler Imperial Airflow in Ontario Canada $60,000 USD

10 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Wrong link?

Help me out with the imperial production numbers.  How many were the Lebaron bodied customs?

Almost none………one of our members here has the 1934 Worlds Fair LeBaron Custom. For some reason, three left sticks in my head.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Almost none………one of our members here has the 1934 Worlds Fair LeBaron Custom. For some reason, three left sticks in my head.

3 of the CW Custom Lebaron?  I have this notion that they built 28 or so.  But I'm just guessing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Rather poor photo's for a car priced in the upper reaches of the Canadian pre war car market. 

Yes ! A very nice car. Airflow's are something I have warmed to over the decades. And few better than an Imperial.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

3 of the CW Custom Lebaron?  I have this notion that they built 28 or so.  But I'm just guessing.

3 of the 1934 CW Custom Imperial's have survived. One is the Century of Progress, Worlds Fair Show Car 8 pass. Limo. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Out of the run of Airflow Custom Imperial's CW from 1934-1937, 11 have survived. 

3-1934's, 5-1935's, 1-1936's, 2-1937's. Only 3 1937's where produced. Milton Hershey had one but, believed to have gone to the WWII scrap drive. Only the fender skirts survived. How many CW's where made??? All the engines manufactured in 1934. From my list of the 11 survivors, the lowest engine number is: CW1034, the latest number is CW1086. 

Unknown what number they started with? Maybe CW1000??? Hence maybe 86 engines???

The CW's rode on a 146 1/2 inch wheel base and the great 384.5 C.I. straight 8

• Like 5

The CW of 1934 is really a special car……….rocket fast and a great driver with juice brakes. I would own one in a second.

• Like 4

A little confusing since you posted a pic of a '34 with a '35 grille added.  Among other ground-breaking features, I believe this was the first production car from Detroit with a one-piece, curved windshield.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

The CW of 1934 is really a special car……….rocket fast and a great driver with juice brakes. I would own one in a second.

If you don't mind a '36 version, there is one for sale here in Oz.

I like all the years……but 34 is the one to have.

• Like 4

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942, edited by B. R. Kimes and H. A. Clark states the following annual production numbers:    

1934: 67

1935: 32

1936: 10

1937:   3

Total: 112

A local Mopar collector owned a terribly weather-ruined CW at one time.  It was possible to see the internal structure of how the body was built.  Note how much larger a CW appears compared to the production Airflows.  The CW bodies were built up from sections of the production stamping cut and welded together, the seams leaded.  Conjecture on my part, but most of the CW bodies were built during the 1934 model year, issued with minor annual styling changes to keep them current.  Although that curved windshield was broken in the example I inspected, the CW owner told me he had acquired a reproduction windshield at considerable expense.  He also indicated the powertrain and chassis were a continuation of the 1931-'33 Custom Imperial Series CG/CL on which the massive CW Airflow bodies were built.  I would be interested to know if this is true.

• Like 3

What was the Worlds Fair LeBaron Custom mentioned earlier?  How did it differ from the production, if that’s the right word, CW Imperials?  I couldn’t find anything that mentioned the Worlds Fair, but from what i read, all CWs were built by LeBaron.  The Major Bowes car looks amazing.  

I placed the add for my friends and it is a 324 c.I motor my mistake. The car was purchase in New Jersey 40 years ago  and restored to perfection. I have better photos on file but can’t download them here. Anyone interested I have photos I can send in an email. As for the grill it is 1934 only year for the waterfall grill. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 34LaSalleClubSedan said:

It's not a CW you mentioned. It's a 1936 C-11. Shorter wheelbase than a CW, 2 piece windshield, and less horsepower. 

Yes…..apples and oranges.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here is the earliest engine and serial number car that has survived.

1934 CW engine number is CW-1034, serial number on the body is 7803784.

This car is now owned by Bruce Wallin in Chico California.

The 1937 Major Bowes CW engine number is CW-1086. Serial number on the body is 7803840.

The 1937 CW that has also survived is owned by the Phillippine Government , Manilla. Engine number is CW-1084. Body number is 7803842.

My guess the Milton Hershey 1937 CW engine number was CW-1085 and Body number is 7803841 ????

Edited by 34LaSalleClubSedan (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2