RHINEBECK ANTIQUE CAR SHOW

RHINEBECK , Dutchess County Fairgrounds , RHINEBECK , New York….

Friday , May 3rd —- through Sunday, May 5th......

Lots and Lots of Vendors ……

A Car Corral ……

Awesome Car Shows ( different ) Saturday and Sunday…..

Saturday —- different classes than Sunday….

Sunday ——- “ the big one “ all the Antiques , Classics , and Original Cars…..

As Steve ^^^ says above ^^^ —- a really nice show ( particularly if Mother Nature cooperates … )

Craig…..

Edited by mobileparts (see edit history)
  • Like 3

We will be there Saturday to walk the swap, best one till Hershey for a lot of us in the Northeast.  

Looking for nice non welled front fenders & stock motor mounts for a 30 Model A in case anyone is bringing A stuff to sell.

The swap may not be what it once was but still hoping to find a few trinkets.  Sunday should be a nice show as it doesn't conflict with Mother's day this year! 😊

• Like 1

Joe Tam —- the Model A and T guy is at the top of my aisle —- back by where the show cars enter to the show field…. Across the circle from that white building that sells the food and beverages….. ( Black trailer by the big tree )

I can get you his phone number , if you need….. Craig…..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't wait. I missed last year's due to being out of town but I will be there this year. 

AccuWeather app is predicting 94% chance of rain on Sunday 😵‍💫 but I have a poncho and if needed I will wear my snow boots which are waterproof. Friday (which is vendor only) and Saturday (hot rods) are both higher likelihood of no ran but not 100% chance of dry. 

Edit: my profile picture on this forum is me standing in front of what I believe is the very first Edsel I ever saw in person circa 1995. The photo was taken in 2022 on the Rhinebeck show grounds.

Edited by Billy Kingsley (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Friday is +++ NOT +++ vendors only, as incorrectly stated above….

Vendors enter the fields at 9 : 00 A.M. on Friday….

Spectators are allowed in at —- they say —- NOON on Friday —- but if the line to get in is large —- and it usually is —- they start allowing patrons in at 11 : 30 A.M. or even 

11 : 00 A.M. 

While RHINEBECK is not the size of Carlisle or HERSHEY —- it is clearly the biggest swap meet in that entire area and beyond….

Also, while those vendors have “ heard of “ Carlisle and HERSHEY !!!! they are far too distant for them to go to…. ( L O L ) !!!! Some of the vendors at this show —- that is the ONLY show they do all year !!! 

You will see a very distinctly different batch of vendors, spectators, and it is definitely a worthwhile show to be a part of ……

Parts will range from the 19-teens and twenties —- to the 1980s and 1990s….

And mercifully, you won’t see 200 - 250 cheapie chineseum tool vendors , only 50…..

My parts range from the 1930s ( so I am pre - WW II ) to the 1970s…..

I am on the side of the horticulture building , in the row that leads the show cars up on to the car show field…. Stop on by —- including Friday….. Craig…..

Edited by mobileparts (see edit history)

Thanks  for the response, Craig.  Sounds like a worth while trip from Ohio. I plan to take you up on the invite.  My main interest is prewar Cadillac.  I have a 1903 and 41 and a few in-between.  I also have a 47 Ford so I'm not opposed to post war. 😉  got anything for me ?

BTW.  You're never too far away from hershey to go there. I have friends go there from west coast,  Canada, UK, and Australia.   

• Like 1

I have a decent amount of parts for you --- Caddy from the middle 1930s through 1941 and for the 1947 Ford.....I am strictly New Mechanical Parts ---- Master Cylinder , Wheel Cylinders, Brake Hoses, and more... Nothing used , but there might some of that at the show ......

I have many , many friends from SWEDEN , Norway , Finland , and the Netherlands who come to Fall Carlisle and HERSHEY.....

Also England , France , Spain , and Belgium... Also Israel , Australia,  and New Zealand.... Also Columbia, Argentina , Chile , and

Puerto Rico....

Safe trip to you , jdome..... See you there...... Craig....,

Looking forward to making the trip, as I will be traveling in the area for work.

Will enjoy putting some faces with the names. And Craig I will enjoy meeting you and seeing your vintage parts collections for sale. 

Looks like a decent day for treasure hunting tomorrow.  Sunday maybe a little more iffy.  

Remember if your route takes you through the little town center of Rhinebeck (charming actually), have some change, or small bills for the volunteer FD who set up every year looking to "fill the boot" at the main intersection.  I bet a decent fundraiser for them. Once your there it's less than 5 minutes to the fairgrounds. 😊

Guys….. My wife and I had a wonderful time today at the show! It’s huge now in a great way!

pics to come and the weather was perfect

tomorrow a rain out but the  crowds were huge from young to old

what a great surprise and treat

gtjoey1314

tip to organizers DONT.  “F” it up!

keep this formula 

Don’t change a thing

• Like 1

RHINEBECK REPORT :

I am at a rest stop , having lunch on my way home….

I NEVER leave RHINEBECK early —- unless it is weather related —- and this one unfortunately is all about that —- the “ R “ word….

Friday ( from 11 : 30 ish — to —- 4 : 30 ish ) and today / Saturday ( from 7 : 50 ish to

5 : 00 ish ) were absolutely Perfect Short Sleeve Shirt days , even the evenings were nice and mild —- you really couldn’t ask for two better May Days….

Both days, a decent amount of people were buying ….. The fellow vendors whom I spoke to all had a very decent two / 1 2/3 days…. I imagine that the normally Sunday people were here today…. Those who paid attention to the weather report , had to know to come today , and not tomorrow / Sunday….

The Car Show Field was packed to the limit today !!! I get to see them all enter the field, and a lot of patrons sit along the fence line, watching the cars enter the field…

It was an endless line of cars for three hours !!!

Here is the sad part :

Sunday is generally the big day for the Antiques and Classics in the Car Show itself…

I will say , that indeed , it rivals HERSHEY for a Great Car Show —- but it is clearly newer than HERSHEY—- as in more 1950s through 1970s —- not so many 1940s and earlier —- though you will see a decent amount of Ford Model A s and T s…. In a normal year Sunday….

However, the forecast from Sunday at 1 : 00 A.M. through Monday at 5 : 00 A.M. calls for 28 straight hours of precipitation ( and that CAN happen ) !!! The hourly wetness accumulations are .01 , .01 , .02 , .02 , .02 , .03 , .03 , .02 , etc….. with possible showers , so it MIGHT NOT be bad , but it won’t be Good !!!

The eight people I know that had cars there today, to be in the Sunday show , all left earlier in the day —- and will NOT be back for Sunday…. Easily, 66.7 % to 75 % of the vendors are now gone —- so , if by chance, you are interested in going to the show Sunday, expect a sparse turnout , a sparse car show , and 1 / 4 to 1 / 3 of the vendors…

We can’t fight Mother Nature…. She reigns ( pun intended ) L O L !!!

Back to hitting the road …. Craig out……

• Like 2

On 5/3/2024 at 5:57 PM, oldford said:

Steve, stop by my spot at Y1-Y2 (behind the grandstand) and say hello....

Sorry Frank, didn't make it, not feeling that great.... but thanks for the invite !

Steve

Great day today - we covered the whole swap in about 4 hours - missed the car corral and show due to tight timing today with close to 2 hours each way and no one available to let the doggy out so we were kind of limited to an 8 to 9 hour day.  Sorry I wanted to say hi to a few folks. 

Managed to find some cool smalls and some Model A stuff.  We didn't do the show but stopped in one building with some movie cars I paid no attention to and some great Packards including another 40 110 convertible- spent a few minutes with the owner and picked up a little info on how he sorted a couple issues with his car I am working on right now- that alone was worth the trip.

Def the most crowded I can remember.  Perfect weather and with rain due in tomorrow a lot of folks showed up today.

Looked like a good day for vendors as well.

• Like 1

I think our BELOVED Hershey can learn from this….

Start consolidating the fields.

Make it pleasurable to walk!

Then slowly build back up , walking an EXTRA 2 miles of empty lots is a killer for most.

Thankfully I’m ok for now but , maybe we can learn from this show.

walking through the barn to get in.

Food everywhere with benches everywhere.

Im doing Hershey over 40 years and I’m 58.

Tighten it up like this and it’s a pleasure!

I will say it again , I was pleasantly surprised, SHOCKED how well run this became and clean and NO gaps.

Great weather too😁🙏

Hershey crew , start thinking, wait Don’t think, just dooooo

love

Gtjoey1314

• Like 1

GTjoey, thanks for the pics. I had no idea this event was that big. Looks like a great time and its a shame its getting rained on today. I have been to Rhinebeck a few times for AMCA events and they were pretty big as well. Nice little town to spend the night in also.

A few of our finds yesterday & my new friend's Packard 110 convertible.  They made a few changes during model year 40 and it was fun comparing them.  

20240505_101132.jpg

20240504_140450.jpg

• Like 5

https://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/automotivephotography/rhinebeck-2024/

I went up on Saturday due to the rain, decided that nobody would be there Sunday even with my rain gear. I almost didn't get there (chronic health problems acting up) but I'm really glad I did. Show was fantastic. Vendors were a little down this year for me, but I also physically couldn't walk to/past most of them. Not that I came away empty handed. 

My favorite was the Packard with Camper. I'll post some highlights when I return to my computer but the link above has the more than 500 photos I took. (A down year for me)

• Like 2

On 5/5/2024 at 6:18 AM, Gtjoey said:

I think our BELOVED Hershey can learn from this….

Start consolidating the fields.

This was my first trip to Rhinebeck. Went for the Saturday swap and planed to stay for the Sunday antiques but left early due to pending weather. Decent swap meet but not much older than 1930 part's except model T.  Rhinebeck could use more bathroom facility locations.  Let's hope that hershey doesn't learn to charge admission. I stood in a long line about half an  hour Saturday morning at Rhinbeck's only entrance gate, waiting for the gate to open. Once the line started to move,  another half hour to get to one of only 2 cashiers selling tickets. Fortunately,  I bought a few small items I carried with me all day. I can imagine the hassle to get permission to carry parts out to the parking lot and check back in. There were only a few empty spots, mostly inside which were probably sold at a premium so the cheap seats sold out first. There were a few other spots that could have been empty as far as I'm concerned, those would be the sock and bling venders and the ones selling potted  plants.

Hey Jdome, 

It was nice meeting you —- and I hope your extended travel ( you undoubtedly win the long distance award !!! ) was trouble free…..

Not being a HERSHEY or Carlisle , it is clearly that area’s biggest show —- and its first function being a Park —- means it isn’t set up to be a car show venue first….

I hope you had a decent time —- and enjoyed most of what you came there for… It truly is sad that Mother Nature ruined the Sunday car show and show itself, because you really would have enjoyed the Sunday Antique and Classic 1500 cars show….

Yours, Craig…..

Mobileparts,

Pleasure meeting you too. You were certainly busy so I expect you did well.  Big crowd on Saturday.. Lots of people like myself carrying parts so I suspect it was a good day for venders in general.. Rhinebeck is on my list for next year.

• Like 1

jdome and everyone else,

Saturday was the most crowded we have seen it at RHINEBECK in a decade….

People paid attention to the fact that Friday and Saturday were absolutely glorious short sleeve days all day —-

And the forecast for Sunday ( unfortunately) was accurate —- colder , raw even , and very very wet …. ( I pulled the plug on the show Saturday evening —- because I had a friend help me pack up ….. Medically compromised as I am now, I need to hire help…

and my hired help bowed out ( my neighbor vendor’s kid —- and he ignored me the whole show —- see if I ever hire him , again…. He had to help his father for FREE , and yet his PAYING JOB , right next door , he ignored and never apologized…. how about that ?!?! )

You saw, jdome , I have the right parts at the right price —- and can get very very busy, indeed !!!

Plus, you heard my line —- when the people ask if they can have my information, I respond , “ Smart People do !!! This is not beanie babies and sunglasses “ !!!

Plus, I am extremely well known up there —- I have many , many regulars….

jdome, you were indeed the nicest and most personable “ newbie “ ….. Thank You !!!

Craig…..

On 5/8/2024 at 1:02 AM, jdome said:

I can imagine the hassle to get permission to carry parts out to the parking lot and check back in.

You walk out to your car and then show your ticket to get back in. No waiting on line at all, it could not possibly be easier. 

Once your ticket is paid for it's good all day, you can come and go as you please, as many times as you please.