Celebration of the Authentic Car III - May 18, Duluth, GA

There's currently no car show in Georgia like the Celebration of the Authentic Car event, which showcases unmodified, uncustomized, and unhotrodded vehicles, restored or not, essentially as they were built.

The CotAC criteria has been extended to recognize two classes of authentic cars: ‘The Greats’ through 1948 and ‘Mid-Century Moderns’ 1949 through 1959. If you own such a vehicle, please bring it out. If you have a later or a custom car, please do not feel unwelcome!! Regular museum admission will apply and your car will be parked right next to the main field, just so Mustangs aren't placed next to Marmons nor Teslas next to Thomas Flyers.

We are pre-registering the CotAC cars this year, $20 in advance and $25 day of the show, which covers your car, your passengers, and admission to the museum. Gates open at 9 AM, the show is from 10 AM to 5 PM. Pre-register at https://tinyurl.com/CotAC-online-registration .

Cassie’s Kitchen will be onsite serving food and there’s plenty of room for your trailer. No formal judging will be held but a few prizes will be awarded. Rain date is Sunday, May 19.

This is the third annual CotAC show to benefit the Southeastern Railway Museum and it could the last one without your support. If you cherish authentic, historic, and rare cars, please attend this unique event. And please share this post widely! The first two CotAC events had the misfortune to be on the same weekends as an AACA National and a Grand National, and many members were already committed to attending those shows. There is no conflict this year and we hope to see a lot of our AACA friends and their cars on May 18.

The 501(c)3 Southeastern Railway Museum is located at 3595 Buford Highway, Duluth, Georgia, across the street from Howard Brothers Hardware.

Here's a terrific short video of the first Celebration of the Authentic Car event in 2022.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yioeF6jY5I

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Want to remind everyone that the third Celebration of the Authentic Car show occurs this coming Saturday, May 18, at the Southeastern Railway Museum in Duluth, GA, on the north side of Atlanta. All the info you need is in the first post of this thread.

You can register your CotAC-qualifying car online through Friday on the SRM website or on-site on the day of the show. The registration cost is a serious steal, in that for $25 (day of the show, $20 if you pre-register), everyone who rides in with you gets admission to the train museum. (Regular admission is $18 adult, $15 senior/student, and $12 child.) If you have never visited SRM, you are going to be amazed at what is on display there.

Being a rabid early Ford guy, I am chargrinned to note that we've not had a single Model T Ford enter CotAC in either of the first two years. A Thomas Flyer, an American 'underslung', but no Model T. Who woulda thunk it?

Yes, the weather is a concern for the Celebration of the Authentic Car show scheduled for tomorrow, in Duluth, GA, but as of right now (1:45 PM Friday), we have had very little rain at the museum, just a few sprinkles.

We've been watching the weather radar like a hawk and it looks like the majority of rain will pass above and below the Atlanta area. If the eastward movement of the weather system continues, there's a very good chance we won't get any signficant rainfall.

Please keep watching here and we'll keep you advised as the day goes on. At the moment, the show is still on!

• Like 2

The Celebration of the Authentic Car is still on!

Regardless of the dire weather forecasts yesterday in some quarters, the museum received less than a hundredth of an inch of rain all day. And the weather radar this morning at 6:38 a.m. (see below) is promising. The storm system seen below the Atlanta area is heading east and a little north. The forecast from one trusted source indicates no rain for the north side of Atlanta until 7 p.m.

So please come out, with car eligible car or not. We'd like to keep this showing going in the future and without your support, that's likely not happening.

weater.jpg

• Like 2

I was the only car there for hours and had a chance for best of show until a beautiful fast back Cadillac coupe showed up. Just us at the end and I didn't take any pictures.

Really very disappointing given the weather turned out very nice.  I guess the threat of rain kept people away. My grandson still had a great time with train rides and the railroad displays. Such a great place to have a show.

Thanks to Greg for all the effort and I hope he is not too discouraged to try again.

Dave

• Like 1

Dave,

I had a prize for you but you got away before I could give it to you. 

I haven't posted a report because I really needed to get my thoughts in order before writing something I might later regret.

Sorry to hear it was very poorly attended.  I had intended to come down from North Carolina. The route to get there was

a straight shot, but it's a 70 MPH road which is too fast for my babbitt bearing engine. Alternative plan was to trailer down

on a open trailer. Weather forecast and time and speed and my failed knees kept me home.

• Like 1

Dave,

I had planned to be there with my 1947 Jag and 1915 B.S.A., but my tow vehicle transmission went 'Tango Uniform' 2 weeks ago, and I still haven't gotten it sorted out.  British Motorcar Day was the following day in Suwanee, and I had planned to do that as well. Hopefully next year.

George

Wayne, it's doubtful the museum management will make the venue available again after the miserable attendance at this year's show.

First, I want to thank Dave Dunton and Jay Friedman, who were the only owners who braved the way-overblown weather forecast to attend CotAC this year. Dave drove his '39 Chevrolet (purchased new by his grandfather!) 15 miles from near Grayson, GA, and Jay drove his '49 Cadillac 23 miles from Decatur, GA. Jay attended all three CotAC shows; not sure about Dave.

39Chevy.jpg

49Caddy.jpg

Certainly the weather predictions were the main factor, and I am now of the opinion that some of the weather info sources are skewing the data. Two examples... midday on Saturday I was watching my preferred weather radar (Wundermap) and it showed clear and no rain within about a 75 miles radius of Duluth. At the same time, a coworker pulled up his preferred weather radar on his phone (I don't know which one) and it showed three red blobs of strong storms roughly spread around the Perimeter, with one showing to be directly overhead (we were not being rained on). Two radar presentations showing vastly different information. Why? A little later another coworker and I checked the native iOS weather app on our iPhones. This app gives the hour-by-hour rain chance throughout the day of the location selected. My iPhone indicated no chance of rain in Duluth until 8 PM; his showed a 35% chance of rain in Duluth at 3 PM. Why?

In point of fact, the museum received a tiny bit of drizzle Friday morning, a little bit of rain during the night Friday (not enough to leave any puddles or soften the grassy areas) and it was a bit misty early Saturday morning. We had cloud cover all day but it was thin enough that there were shadows under items most of the day and the sun tried to break through a number of times. There was a small strong pop-up storm that hit the museum at 4:50 or so, but that is the only actual rain the museum received on Saturday.

The event's date was made public the first week of January, and it was promoted on 26 different Facebook groups, including most of the national club groups and numerous FB-only groups covering 'as-built' antique cars. And, of course, it was promoted on this forum. It was listed on several local community calendars and in least one regional car show calendar publication. I was contacted Friday by at least a half dozen people, asking if the show was still on and they were informed it was; only one of them attended. Due to multiple requests during the first two events, we added ten years to the authentic cars invited, taking it up to 1959, with not a single later car attending. We added online preregistrations and while there weren't many, only one who preregistered showed up (thanks for the donations!). We even offered free admission to the museum for everyone coming into the event in an eligible car, which depending on the number of passengers is a seriously good deal. The promotion for his year's show was at least ten times greater than last year, yet the car count dropped from 25 to two.

I am sure there were other factors, such as the insane cost of everything right now, the fact that there is no judging, conflicting meetings or tours by local car clubs, personal problems and challenges, etc.

Before the first CotAC show was scheduled, the concept was run by more than 30 of the key players in the antique car world across the country, editors, club presidents, restorers, etc., to see if they felt it was viable. There was only a single negative response, because, he said, "I don't have a quaifying car to bring."

The original question was, "Would owners of 'as-built' authentic cars, who rarely or never take them to car shows that are 99% custom, hot rod, and modified cars, support a show for their kinds of historic vehicles?" I now have my answer, at least for this region of the country.

For some insight into my "this region of the country" remark, let me simply post my friend Bill Lillie's photo and text about a first-time show and cruise held on the same day, May 18, in Milton, New Hampshire.

stanley.jpg

"We had a great day yesterday at Tebo’s Garage pre-war car cruise getting our 1904 Stanley CX out for a shakedown run after just completing its full restoration. The weather didn’t dampen anyone’s spirits and about 10 steamers from as far away as Ohio were an awesome sight joining 50-75 other prewar vehicles."

• Like 1

This is upsetting. "Cars and coffee" events all over the country are fine as far as they go. But they do almost nothing to really promote appreciation for authentic and/or prewar cars. One or two prewar cars, often not authentically kept, showing up sometimes, does not really show that they are around and can actually be driven more than rarely.

Events like you put so much effort into are exactly what the hobby needs! And while this year might have been a "perfect storm" of conflicting events, and bad weather, I certainly would have hoped for a bit more effort by local hobbyists to show up regardless.

I am not in a position to talk. My family demands have had me virtually grounded for several years now, and I haven't been able to attend any shows or meets for far too long.

Times are tough, and getting tougher for almost all of us. Those that are able, should be enjoying their historic automobiles often! Drive them, show them off a bit, use them to see local interesting places. Let people see how history can be enjoyed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gwells said:

Rather depressed by the lack of responses to this thread.

What did we get wrong with this event, people? 

I am withholding comment as I live at the opposite end of the continent.  

The only question I will ask, did you have a 'rain-out' date as an alternative?  I know many shows are "Rain or Shine", but that discourages many from attending, even with a small threat, or wrong weather reports.

Craig

I withheld response purposely, but since you asked. 

I applaud and appreciate your effort to keep the 'true antique' cars (pre war) in the limelight. However, IF I lived in the area the restrictions/exclusions on the entry vehicles would be offputting to me. If I had seen it advertised in the past and knew it was for pre war cars only I would not give it a second chance. At the very least I think a show within the aaca guidlines may have been better attended. Or, simply advertise as a car show period. Have a special class and highlight the pre war stuff and perhaps even a reduced admission fee, better parking spots, nicer gift bag, whatever it would it take to entice someone to bring theirs.

I was at an all inclusive car show last Saturday that had everything from a 1927 Packard sedan to a brand new Alfa. There were at least 300 cars in attendance. I am planning on hitting a show tomorrow, unfortunately its going to be pretty much the same cars but historically they close the gates after about 200 cars roll in.  With this formula, car shows are packed and there is one about every weekend throughout the summer.

I agree that it would be nice to see more 'old' cars at these events but at least in my area the people either do not have them or do not drive them.

ON THE OTHER HAND,

The threat of bad weather did not help at all I am sure. My car will not melt, and has been wet plenty of times. But with the exception of an AACA show I will not purposely drive out in the morning with rain or more than a 50% chance of expected. 

• Like 1

IMHO, the area is too congested.  I've been in the Atlanta area for 12 or so years, before then living in southern NJ.  When we first came here I was surprised the car culture was nothing like the northeast.  We rented a place in Gwinnett county while I was working by the airport and my wife in Norcross.  We were not happy.. nice neighborhoods but WAY too much traffic.  I worked with a guy who rode Harley's and would tow them out of the city and ride in the mountains.  We ultimately ended up in North Hall county.  On weekends for pleasure cruising we go up to the mountains and around here, never farther south.  I go downtown via bus 2-3 days per week, that is about all I can tolerate. Buford has just exploded and a co-worker is looking to come up my way. I've been to shows in Cartersville and Dahlonega.. places I would consider.  Just my two cents..

• Thanks 1

I hope that you and the museum give this another go.  Unfortunately, I think the weather was the biggest issue, or at least the forecast for the weather.  For what it's worth, I was considering doing a swap meet close to me on the same day, then the forecast the day before was calling for rain so I didn't even consider it further after that, my mind was made up I wasn't going.  I think those guys with the early cars in the north east have a distinctly different attitude and part of that is the driving season is significantly shorter than it is in your area so it is really an apples and oranges comparison.   If I am reading things correctly, your goal is to support the museum, which is to be lauded.  If that is the case perhaps consider how that can be done using the car show in a different way - are you hoping to draw in cars and take that entrance fee to give to the museum, or are you using the cars to draw in spectators and hoping they then pay to enter the museum?  and do the spectators for just the show pay to get in?   For me I won't do any shows anymore where I have to pay to bring my car in, which is the draw, and the spectators get in for free.  That's just me, but it might be a hurdle for others as well and combined with the weather forecast it might have been a deciding factor for some.  I might suggest a slight rebranding as well - I'll be honest that without the explanation that you provided when you first kicked the show off I wasn't sure that it was.  Perhaps something like Vintage Car Show at the Southeastern Railway Museum -  A Celebration of the Authentic Car featuring cars as they left the factory floor.  I know some don't like the word vintage as they think it is used too much, but it's the word of the day for younger people and doesn't come off as stuffy old people speak like Antique does to them.  I really do think that you are on to something here and hope that you give it another go and hopefully with a couple of tweaks and good weather it turns into what you had hoped for.   At the end of the day what Craig above, and I say doesn't really matter, we are too far away to attend - reach out to those people you spoke to in the days leading up to the show and have a candid conversation with them - they are your audience and your best source of what, if anything that you could have done different, short of a giant tent.

Good luck and hold your head high - you at least tried and I truly hope that you keep trying!

Don

• Like 2

On 5/31/2024 at 7:58 PM, MGRAB said:

IMHO, the area is too congested.  

^ Yup, this.

Also, I suspect that most car owners dedicated to authenticity are also not interested in small local shows. I frequently take my cars all over the country to show at National judged events. Spending tons of money, time, and resources in making a car exactly like the factory made it is rewarded by national recognition. To receive a local trophy voted upon by (many times) people who don't know much about what they're looking at is not wanted. Personally, I'd much rather spend the day driving my car out in the country. 

• Like 2