When purchasing an antique car, what if only a “bill of sale” is available?

mrcvs

Better bookkeeping of vehicle documentation would cut down tremendously on lost-title drama.   One takeaway from this discussion should be that all the paperwork for our vehicles is completely squared away.  The location of the documents should also be made known to family and friends to make things easier for them should you check-out of the hotel known as life.

• Like 1

Another element to consider:

Unless we are talking about something exceedingly rare or valuable (virtually regardless of condition), there is almost no reason to buy a car without a title. I know low prices are attractive and that there can be sentimental attachment, but when you really stop and think about it, there's probably another one out there somewhere that's available without the headache associated with not having a title. It's another angle to the "buy the best you can" motto that is often repeated in old car circles. 

It seems like this discussion comes up every few months. As noted it all depends on the state the car will be registered next. The fine print matters. With CT as example, cars older than 20 years aren't provided title at DMV...except per state statute a new title will be created if the customer so demands and pays for it. So if eventually it is to be sold out of state this could be done for a future customer/transaction is deemed helpful. Also if a car is sold within CT to a new in-state owner whereby the current title is lost, a replacement is not necessarily needed if the prior title is still valid, without lien, and as noted the car is re-registered in the state - this is stipulated on the website. Also if a car is brought into state from a non-titled locale a supplemental form substantiating ownership is filled out and submitted to DMV (obviously the state recognizes if it is not routinely titling older cars then the reciprocal issue occurs). Other states may not be so accommodating in these ways though. Thus in these specific examples not having title is not a dead end.

You never told us what state the vehicle is in and what state you are in.  That is very important to obtain any kind of reliable information.  If the seller states that it's easy to get a title on a bill of sale, then offer him a few hundred dollars extra to get the title.  I think you will see the conversation change very quickly.

Here in Mississippi where I live,I bought all four of my cars with just a bill of sale.I had them all titled,but I don't think it is necessary.I don't want any drama down the road if I sell one of them.

Here all the paper work is done at the county courthouse.It helps tremendously if you know someone in the tax collector's office that will work with you.That is most important because you can get a real PITA person who loves to give you grief (you all know what I'm talking about).If your contact isn't busy,she will look up previous owners or anything she can find on the car. As I stated,it all depends on who you have to deal with.

38 minutes ago, 61polara said:

You never told us what state the vehicle is in and what state you are in.  That is very important to obtain any kind of reliable information.  If the seller states that it's easy to get a title on a bill of sale, then offer him a few hundred dollars extra to get the title.  I think you will see the conversation change very quickly.

PENNSYLVANIA 

People selling antique cars without title are a worldwide problem…and the response is consistent around the globe: “get away from them and find another car with proper papers”.

They are not selling the car, they are selling the problem to get the car title in order. Reflect on that!

Edited by JRA (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If you can stand in front of a public official and look like you are somewhat inept, need help, and play the follower in the pack you can probably work things out.

If you are assertive, ready to state the rules and regulations, and willing to straighten out a person who doesn't know the facts you are in for a tough time.

For the quick answer ask your wife which description fits you. My wife knows which one of me is leaving the house just by the jacket I take off the hook.

I was fairly young when I went to the Motor Vehicle Department lacking a signed piece of paperwork. When I looked very frustrated and the and the lady at the window asked "Aren't they out in the car?" a whole new perspective opened to me, sort of like The Wizard of Oz when the movie switched from grayscale to color.

In the same vein this could lead to a discussion about my dream to run a business named "Generally Honest Bernie's Used Cars".

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

As Matt H pointed out, there are some states that give you a titling mechanism. Here in Virginia you can use the “Abandoned Vehicle” process to obtain a new Virginia title.  I used this process to properly obtain a correct title my ‘46 Hudson that was mis-titled in another state. And as Matt pointed out, it was a lengthy and mildly complicated process but it did work perfectly.