Wanted: Title for a car [Speedster] from 1910 - 1925

I'm building a barn find speedster from various components. Most of the components like radiator, body, engine, etc. are from about 1910 to 1925. Would like to title the car, but don't have one to transfer.

Tom Griffith     608-999-0366     lincoln1955@msn.com    griffithvintagemotorcars.com  [Wisconsin]

Edited by 29PierceArrow (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 29PierceArrow said:

Wisconsin

Consult your Wisconsin DMV and go online to look at the laws and procedures involved. As I've said many times, don't pay much attention to anyone's shortcuts or thoughts about what might happen in other states.  If it's an assembled mix it might complicate things a bit, most states gave procedures for that.  Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Yerry

• Thanks 1

X2 on what Terry mentioned. Laws vary greatly between the States and only YOUR DMV can answer the question if you can legally buy and use just a title. Most States will forbid the use of a title only

Found a online doc published by Wisconsin.

There may be a way you can get a title, but depending on what you have, might end up with a new modern  VIN being assigned.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/342.pdf

(f) If the identification number of the vehicle has been
removed, obliterated or altered, or if the original casting has been
replaced, or if the vehicle has not been numbered by the manufac-
turer, the application for certificate of title shall so state. If the
identification number of the vehicle was originally based on an
engine number and the engine number is no longer pertinent to the
vehicle because of subsequent engine changes and no other manu-
facturer’s identification number, chassis number or serial number
exists, the department shall assign a new identification number for
the vehicle under s. 342.30 (1m).

(1m) On the form or in the automated format for application
for a certificate of title, the department may show the fee under s.
342.14 (3m) separately from the fee under s. 342.14 (1) or (3).

(2) Any person who knowingly makes a false statement in an
application for a certificate of title is guilty of a Class H felony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the only legitimate way to title what you are building would be to get an assigned vin from the dmv. I have no idea how things are done in Wis. but I would bet there is a way to have that done, much like if someone were to build a 'kit car'. Transferring a title to a made up vehicle sounds less than ideal to me!

• Like 2

Be sure to keep receipts…..they are gonna want to see them. Also photos of the build. It’s a major pain in the ass……been there, done that.

• Like 3

I will add ...

Do you just want a title ?

Or a registration and plates

to operate it on public roads ?

Do you want it to have a

" parade car " limited operation

with restrictions on public roads ?

Let your state DMV know in advance.

Jim

I went through this process in Massachusetts for my replica 1932 Studebaker Indy car.  It was created from scratch, including the chassis, but used engine, transmission, axles, steering, etc. from pre-war Studebakers.  Once I had an application for a title filled out and a fee paid to the Registry, they sent me to a state police inspection station that usually deals with cars rebuilt from wrecks.  I brought the car in my trailer.  I presented my pile of receipts and signed bills of sale for many of the pieces I bought along with photos of their original condition and during the build.  The police inspector looked through them, said OK, and put a state issued serial number on the chassis of the car.  I was exceedingly lucky that the state policeman wrote on the application that it was a 1932 car because that meant I could get antique car insurance and I didn't have to have fenders, as now required for any car post-1948 in MA.  Annual inspection is also easier for antiques.

I then went back to the Registry where they also went through the pile of receipts.  This time, they wanted to add up the cost of the car so that they could charge me 6% sales tax on the value.  Apparently, I had enough to satisfy them, and they didn't count the thousands of hours of my labor in the value.  I paid the tax and title fee, was issued a title and then got license plates. 

While it did take some time, all the people I dealt with were courteous and helpful, a pleasant surprise.  I recommend talking to the person at your state registry/motor vehicle dept. who is in charge of interpreting the rules.  There will be one, the trick is to find him/her and have a chat about what you are trying to do.  The words, "I need some help, please" will go a long way.  Keep the person's phone number handy if you encounter a problem at the registry.

Indy25rearqtr.jpg.5168559e0b4eb6eca9354061b508cd8a.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

On 4/3/2024 at 2:48 PM, Gary_Ash said:

Indy25rearqtr.jpg.5168559e0b4eb6eca9354061b508cd8a.jpg

If you come out one morning and find that someone has stolen your speedster, it was me.   If you would stop posting pictures I might forget about it, but of all the wonderful cars we see on this forum, your Studebaker still looks like the most fun.    

Sorry for the hijack.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angelfish said:

If you come out one morning and find that someone has stolen your speedster, it was me.  

I have a backhoe here and I know how to use it!😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I offer a caution. As we all know, cars manufactured for sale (by the car industry) go through rigorous engineering for road/public safety, specifically chassis, suspension, steering, brakes, lights, belts and any other elements necessary to protect the public and the driver/passengers and private property. This has become a contentious issue in many jurisdictions where rodders for example pull a title and perhaps a frame from a vehicle and then build their own "un-engineered" contraption (or very nice car) and license it as an "antique". All is fine until it isn't! When something fails and causes injury, the lawyers can have a field day at your expense, and if some part failed because it was under-engineered, you have no one to blame. DMV's I understand in some jurisdictions are trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube to fix this longstanding issue. While they may be able to tighten the rules for future registrations, fixing the 1000's of existing hot-rods that don't meet any standards is a real headache. So my advice is to be sure you understand the potential liabilities that come with "making" your own car. l 

• Like 1

Anglefish,  You might consider starting your own "Speedster" project.  Gary Ash  has been a inspiration to us with a interest in the Speedster world.  

IMG_1159 (1).JPG

• Like 1