Which lasts longer Cloth or Vinyl convertible tops?

In my experience, it depends on the use and storage of the vehicle. Vinyl is much easier to keep clean than cloth, important if it’s a driver. Many people prefer the gloss of vinyl over the flat finish of cloth. If the vehicle is stored outside, vinyl will be easier to clean and last longer. A “show” car with a cloth top, stored inside will still require more work to keep looking good, but will last as long as vinyl. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 31Buick96S said:

In my experience, it depends on the use and storage of the vehicle. Vinyl is much easier to keep clean than cloth, important if it’s a driver. Many people prefer the gloss of vinyl over the flat finish of cloth. If the vehicle is stored outside, vinyl will be easier to clean and last longer. A “show” car with a cloth top, stored inside will still require more work to keep looking good, but will last as long as vinyl. 

Thx!  I knew this was the place to get the best answer!  I only have experience with vinyl tops myself, but totally agree with what you say..

• Like 2

What is the best way to keep a cloth top in 'tip top' condition?

A bit new for the forum but after several years I have yet to find a solution to good maintenance on the top for my wifes mustang. I bought some products from Griots, a conv. top cleaner then follows up with a conv. top dressing. It does ok, but just does not POP like a new top.

I also keep my cloth top on my 560 SL up for the majority of the time to keep it stretched. Put it down when it is sunny, warm and no rain in the forecast. I don’t use the hard top anymore. Have it stored in the garage on a special carrier sold by MB.

• Like 2

Funny, I still don’t see an answer (with practical evidence/proof) addressing OPs question and suspect none will come up either.

Generally speaking, I would expect a cloth top to last longer, as it would be less prone to embrittlement and cracking with age.  As mentioned, though, many variables including temperature cycling, sunlight exposure, and flex cycling.  Chemical exposure would be another; in particular I am referring to cleaners and surface treatments. 

I recently looked at a '26 Chrysler that had been in indoor storage for 30+ years.  When I touched or lightly flexed the fabric top, it crackled like a potato chip.  I think that was the result of the hardening of some type of waterproofing treatment.  The fabric top on my '30 Franklin is still in great shape after 40 years.  The major signs of degradation are fading, and some thread wear from scrubbing out rust stains. 

Of course quality is another variable.  There are better engineered fabrics, and cheaper, less sophisticated products.  Some of the offerings from Haartz, a high end supplier, are PVC over cotton, thus can be described as both vinyl and cloth. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Akstraw said:

The fabric top on my '30 Franklin is still in great shape after 40 years.  

That's a pretty strong argument in favor of cloth! 😊

6 hours ago, Akstraw said:

Generally speaking, I would expect a cloth top to last longer, as it would be less prone to embrittlement and cracking with age.  As mentioned, though, many variables including temperature cycling, sunlight exposure, and flex cycling.  Chemical exposure would be another; in particular I am referring to cleaners and surface treatments. 

Of course quality is another variable.  There are better engineered fabrics, and cheaper, less sophisticated products.  Some of the offerings from Haartz, a high end supplier, are PVC over cotton, thus can be described as both vinyl and cloth. 

Exactly and as I mentioned there's no easy or simple answer to OPs question. All depends on numerous variables, some of which you mention above.

As a few examples based on personal experiences, I've seen & worked on a 50+ year old (at the time) "preservation survivor" 1950s American convertible with factory installed top of vinyl material which had noticeable shrinkage, but was still fairly soft and pliable.

I/we didn't replace it, but instead carefully just cleaned, hand stitched and strengthened couple of areas to preserve the cars originality.

And if it hasn't been replaced since, it's approaching 70 years of age. Not bad for vinyl material.

I've also seen nice condition canvas/cloth material tops on countless cars restored 30+ years ago, but most have not been exposed to much use, let alone variety of elements on regular basis, i.e. garage/trailer queens.

I made and installed the canvas top for my PB Roadster over 30 years/100,000+ miles ago and while it doesn't look anywhere like it initially did, it still protects against extreme elements of blazing desert sun, "cats & dogs" rain or blizzards.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Many « cloth » top fabrics have a rubber or polymer inner layer. How well that resists embrittlement is important.  Vinyl will give better moisture rot resistance but lesser abrasion resistance. Then there’s the thread with which either is sewn…..

I rarely put the top up when I have a convertible, so they last regardless.

I do like the vinyl better for keeping clean.

I just found that I forgot to hit the "submit" button yesterday.

And I agree that even if I got caught in the rain the top usually wont reach the latches.

• Haha 1

I prefer rubberized vinyl tops.   If you've ever had a canvas cloth top, remember when the kids or silly adult would touch the top

inside in a rain storm, the top would drip from that spot.   For me, that's a good enough reason to not use a canvas cloth top.

13 hours ago, TAKerry said:

...after several years I have yet to find a solution to good maintenance on the top for my wife's mustang. I bought some products from Griots, a conv. top cleaner then follows up with a conv. top dressing. It does ok, but just does not POP like a new top.

The material used for the convertible top would depend

on the year of the car, if an owner wants a correct appearance.

I have a 1975 Pontiac Grand Ville with a white vinyl

convertible top.  White will show dirt faster than other

colors.  I got my idea for keeping it clean from the

previous owner, Roy Graden (a past President of the AACA):

When storing the car, keep a piece of plastic over 

the top--just the top--before putting on the car cover.

That will keep dust from getting through the car cover

onto the white top.  The top will need cleaning much less often.

1975 Pontiac-mine (2).JPG

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I have a 1975 Pontiac Grand Ville with a white vinyl

convertible top. 

I like your top!  Blindingly white! 😎  That's how I like 'em! (on our land yachts)  I know older cars may not look best this way.  Interesting idea on storage.  I use VLR on my top in the spring, which keeps the top nicely preserved and blindingly white. 🤩

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jdome said:

Can't find ingredients for VLR. Does it contain silicone?

I found this: Ingredients : Water, Dimethicone, Nomoxynol, C10-16 Alcohol Ethoxylate, Neatsfoot Oil, Lanolin, Propylene Glycol Butyl Ether, Fragrance, Sodium Metasilicate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone.

On 3/24/2024 at 1:53 PM, 69merc said:

Subject came up on another club, and thought you guys would know.

Well, did this thread answered the question in the title ?

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

44 minutes ago, 69merc said:

I found this: Ingredients : Water, Dimethicone, Nomoxynol, C10-16 Alcohol Ethoxylate, Neatsfoot Oil, Lanolin, Propylene Glycol Butyl Ether, Fragrance, Sodium Metasilicate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone.

That’s a yes

1 hour ago, 69merc said:

Thanks for the info. Other than water & fragrance, I believe the same ingredients as a Twinkie.  Dimethicone, or as we all know it: dimethylpolysiloxane is a silicone.  Believe it or not, this particular flavor is non-toxic and used in foods, like that artificial, non-stick baking pan spray.  mmmmmm. I assume it produces a slick, non-stick exit shoot also, if you get my drift.  My wife and I swore off artificial flavoring/foods years ago. We use real butter, sugar, cream/half & half, etc. but less of it.  I've also sworn off silicones in my shop. I'm a true hobbyist who does most of my own work including painting in the same shop that I weld, grind, sand, and cut wood, as well as wax cars & treat tops & materials.  I don't have problems cleaning and mitigating dust before painting but silicone sometimes gets into my paint projects and causes fisheye problems.  I avoid using it, but that's just me. I'm sure it is a good product.

• Like 1