1937 Cord Custom Beverly $45,000

They didn't make many of these, Normal wb for 37 Cord was 125 inches and the custom Beverly was 132 inches.  It seems like there were something like 100 custom Beverly's and 20 custom Berlines (135 WB), but I don't remember exactly.  Supercharged, an interesting car.  This reminds me of a rough Custom Berline that was listed here a few years ago.  

It has the 8 louvers (vice 7 on the standard).  Pictures are poor.  The fact that it is supercharged, long WB and says it runs makes me think this car will sell if someone serious engages the owner and he has some wiggle room on price.  Just passing along, I don't know the car or owner. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1375084116712283/

image.png.78bef3e7d00fb7af5013acc6043e71b8.png

image.png.8e69b6e42d6e08d0b5b6f1ad870d3ea7.png

image.png.760411651d79fabba8d46d1ead099dae.png

image.png.2eb62d163c12b5b54b04cfb4bcb73c85.png

image.png.0f1c302ae522ed59d52228f30ab0cb87.png

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Awesome! This is a great car.

You need to be able to do 90% of the work on your own. But perhaps a mechanical sorting and you’ve got a fantastic car.

I agree, it’s not as rare as that Berline we were talking about a few years ago, but still very cool, and super charged.  I hope someone on here grabs it. 

• Like 2

The fact it runs well,  it a huge bonus especially being supercharged,  as Cord parts Are EXPENSIVE to buy and even when the guy has 100 of one item they are still super rare.  Of course unless you are trying to sell them, then the story is completely different. ;)

• Haha 4

On 3/21/2024 at 11:19 AM, jp1gt said:

Don't know anything about the supercharger on the cord. Is it mounted on the back behind the carb?

It's that round aluminum casting underneath.  More details shortly..   Read what Leif posted from the Jalopy Journal, its the same as the text in the Josh Malk's Cord 810/812 book.

Edited by 58L-Y8
addendum comments (see edit history)
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, jp1gt said:

Don't know anything about the supercharger on the cord. Is it mounted on the back behind the carb?

Here's some info from Jalopy Journal: 

Lycoming made a large number of engines for boats and aircraft as well as all the engines for ACD. If you have a shop with a rate around $50/hr rebuild your motor and does a good job and rebuilds every thing you are looking at closer to $30K. There is only one or two places to buy new parts or have them rebuilt by someone who knows what they are doing. Here is some info about the motor. It is 289 cubic inches. The combustion chamber is cast into the block like a 409. It has roller rockers that that run directly off of the camshaft. The intakes and the heads are aluminum. It has three main bearings that are poured babbitt with a brass shell. They counter weights on the crank have to be removed to grind or polish the crank. The weights are held on by headless bolts ( the heads broke off when the were torqued at the factory) welded to the counter weight insure they wouldn't back out. The super charged engine ran a different cam and had a different firing order. It also had dual points distributor, a wider timing chain (for the super charger) and different exhaust manifolds. The super charger is a centrifugal design and runs directly off the cam by way of a ring and pinion that turns a planetary roller set to bump up rpms. It runs closer to 4.5 to 5 times engine speed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

These cars are off the charts on the cool scale.  But like everything else projects are expensive.   There is a tremendous amount of club support so you would not be alone.

Here is a video I made a few years ago when I was trying to figure out a problem in the shifting system on our car:

• Like 3

I always wanted a Cord.

Then I got a Cord. It left me stranded in the middle of the busiest intersection in town when all forward and reverse gears vanished.

Now I don't want a Cord anymore.

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

These cars are off the charts on the cool scale.  But like everything else projects are expensive.   There is a tremendous amount of club support so you would not be alone.

Here is a video I made a few years ago when I was trying to figure out a problem in the shifting system on our car:

Aj, have you ever took the ignition key switch out and cleaned all of the contacts on it? We traced a voltage drop back to the ignition switch and once cleaned it made a huge difference in shifting.

2 minutes ago, Tph479 said:

Aj, have you ever took the ignition key switch out and cleaned all of the contacts on it? We traced a voltage drop back to the ignition switch and once cleaned it made a huge difference in shifting.

There was a very hard to find short happening in the selection switch.   I would find it in 10% of the time now that I understand what is going on.  But back at the beginning it all looked like rocket science.

CordSwitchAnnotated.jpg

• Like 2

With the longer wheelbase, the supercharger, it runs, and maybe even paint that could be cleaned up and left as is for a driver..........  this car has a lot going for it at the asking price. There aren’t any great pictures of the interior but you get a hint from one photo and it isn’t encouraging. 

I wish years ago I had had the foresight to learn to do upholstery and car interiors instead of focusing so much of my time on watching March madness and wondering what I might eat for my next meal.

somebody on here grab this car. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I always wanted a Cord.

Then I got a Cord. It left me stranded in the middle of the busiest intersection in town when all forward and reverse gears vanished.

Now I don't want a Cord anymore.

Nothing that replacing the entire shift harness, selection switch, interlock switch, vacuum switcher, and 200 hours worth of work won’t make 99% reliable.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Nothing that replacing the entire shift harness, selection switch, interlock switch, vacuum switcher, and 200 hours worth of work won’t make 99% 65% reliable.

Fixed that for you.

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Fixed that for you.

You can make them reliable. The problem is people not completely understanding and rebuilding the system correctly. My dad’s car operated perfectly for 50 years. But once the original harness deteriorated, things went to crap.

19 hours ago, alsancle said:

You can make them reliable. The problem is people not completely understanding and rebuilding the system correctly. My dad’s car operated perfectly for 50 years. But once the original harness deteriorated, things went to crap.

Once one comes to the realization that Cords are probably the most bipolar car ever invented, they are not that bad. You just need a good electrical system, a lot of grounds, a strong battery and good vacuum. When everything is functioning properly they are fantastic performers for the day.

An often overlooked area is the vacuum canister where the leather seal dries out and needs to be oiled, or a vacuum leak somewhere on the car.

Then again being an expert in Voodoo magic also helps in keeping the evil spirits away.

• Haha 5

I spoke with the owner.  I think this car is exactly what Matt is looking for (...not).  The car has not been driven since the mid-90s - sitting since.  At some point in the past the engine has been started/run off a gas can and battery - but nothing else could be tested.  Car was an amateur restoration in the 80s (paint coming off all over).  Needs everything (e.g. brakes, complete interior and most all chrome redone.  Matching numbers, but, wrong carb and no air cleaner (nothing covering that carb - except hood).   Here is the best part: electrical wiring is "poor at best."  Owner bought it for the drivetrain for another Cord convertible - but ended up selling convertible before starting project.  Owner's price ideas based upon parts value, i.e. supercharged drive train plus other parts.  Restoration of this car would be challenging to accomplish for less than buying a car in better condition - IMO.  Owner is refreshingly friendly, open, honest and frank (ACD lifetime member).

• Like 3

10 hours ago, classiclines said:

Owner is refreshingly friendly, open, honest and frank (ACD lifetime member).

Marque club members are usually the best people to buy a collector car from. They are usually more familiar with the nuances of the make, and what makes one worth more than others (and frankly, ninety percent of all collector cars are NOT the top ten percent of cars!). Marque club members usually are willing to share their knowledge with interested people.

Anyone with a collector car that has a good marque club should consider joining that club.

Of course, anything with people involved? There will be exceptions, so always follow good judgement.

• Like 3

On 3/26/2024 at 7:25 AM, alsancle said:

I wonder if this is the car owned by the grandson of E.L. Cord?  Former president of the club.

With Super charged and long WB, he didn't go for the "base Model". I searched the facebook post (the name of the poster) of this car and paired it with everything that came to mind (EL Cord, Cord, etc....and nothing hit).  I did learn quite a bit about EL Cord's grandchildren.  

52 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

With Super charged and long WB, he didn't go for the "base Model". I searched the facebook post (the name of the poster) of this car and paired it with everything that came to mind (EL Cord, Cord, etc....and nothing hit).  I did learn quite a bit about EL Cord's grandchildren.  

John, it was not who I thought it was. I got a PM from another member who told me who it was. It is somebody very reactive in the club.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bradsan said:

Reactive? Typo or ???? I kind of like it . Keeps us guessing. Sort of an 'approach with caution term'. 😀

I stand by my last comment - he is a diamond-in-the-rough, another gem in the ACD club.   If you think reactive - then think excellent customer service.