"I Guess They All Had Automatics." Wait - - - WHAAAT?

Time and Place:  A St. Paddy's party in my residential community's clubhouse.

Cast of Characters:  Me, a fellow resident, and a 40-something woman guest. 

Opening scene:  The other member has introduced the woman to me as a guy with a lot of old cars.

Guest:  I love old cars!

Me:  What era?

Guest:  Forties and fifties.

Me:  Yes there were some nice cars then.  But I have 5 cars made before World War One.

Guest:  Oh, WOW!  I guess they all had automatics back then, didn't they?

Me:  HUH???

It almost makes sense.  She grew up when most American cars, other than the bottom of the line that she never saw, had automatics.  Sticks were just coming back in a few muscle cars and hot exotics - that is, they were something new and exciting.  They couldn't possibly have had them back as far as World War One, could they?  I bought her a drink, but only because by then I needed one.

SHEESH!

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

Maybe she was referring to steam cars and electrics with no transmission?   Ok, ok, seems unlikely.

• Haha 2

I dunno, the Model T was pretty close for the time… but yeah I can see that exact scenario playing out. My 40-something niece wanted to drive one of my cars until she saw the stick. It was a Model A and the only automatic A was a Shay or a rod.

• Like 1

Hey at least she knew what an automatic was and didn't think "aromatic"

I have seen people look at the column mounted shifter in a 1936-37 Cord and think it was an automatic  too.

there are many devices on pre WWII era cars that even post war car collectors do not really understand - spark and throttle levers at the center of the steering column , the fact a gas pedal can have a foot rest next to it, choke knob on the dash board................ I can understand their puzzlement - if the cars you have been in and some now collect do not have them how do you relate to them?  I revved up the engine on my 1931 Franklin I owned at the time by the hand throttle on the steering wheel center and it scared a guy next to the car!  Most people do not under stand a rumble seat as they see the plate on the top of the right rear fender and wonder what it is for.

they are not dumb, just not informed so it gives you reason to explain and always brings a big smile of wonderment.

Explain why it is not wise to touch the beautiful shiny brass headlamp after it was lit, or the brass radiator shell after the car had been running ....................

A lesson in time, era and perspective.

Walt

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

Guest:  I love old cars!...

SHEESH!

What a great opportunity to talk to her about this

great hobby!  It sounds as if she's interested in old

cars but doesn't have much experience.  She may be

very interested in learning more.  You could even

invite her and her family for a ride in one of yours.

Just as we may admire old clocks, or player pianos, or

pouring concrete--but don't know technical details--

we're happy when an experienced person can tell us more.

We can all be ambassadors for the hobby and the AACA.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

What a great opportunity to talk to her about this

great hobby!  It sounds as if she's interested in old

cars but doesn't have much experience.  She may be

very interested in learning more.  You could even

invite her and her family for a ride in one of yours.

Just as we may admire old clocks, or player pianos, or

pouring concrete--but don't know technical details--

John, everything was making sense, but I never met anyone who admired pouring concrete! Just joking!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Walt G said:

They are not dumb, just not informed so it gives you reason to explain and always brings a big smile of wonderment.

So well said, Walt!

It's obvious that you like people and are a 

good ambassador for the hobby--even if we

never saw your magazine columns, what you

just wrote should be a theme to record for all time.

• Thanks 1

John , I taught kids ages 5 to 12 for over 35 years art, 1,100 kids a week and even on Saturday classes as well in the winters. It is a big learning curve and awakening for all. John,  I was there once and probably so were you - someone had to tell us what the knobs coming out of the dashboard were for , what the grate in the floor of the car was for ( heater ) why the windshield wipers slow down or almost stop while accelerating up a long grade when they are on and it is raining and you need them - vacuum wipers. Huh?  whats a vacuum wiper....

It doesn't take a lot of effort to be kind and have some patience .  I will now take the opportunity to  preach a bit - lots of people on here complain about things they do not like , and to AACA because they want things their way. How often do any of you email a compliment - thank you  - to HQ or some of the moderators? A little can go a long way , be kind and recognize great effort and you will also see that same attitude returned.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

A while ago I did some work in a well known custom car shop. Everything they build uses a manual transmission so everyone there knows how to drive one. One day a new project came in, a late 60s Chevy pickup with a three speed on the column. The head fabricator, a guy in his late thirties, got in it and couldn't figure it out. I watched him and it took me a minute to realize that he had no idea what he was looking at. "Three on the tree" I told him, he had no idea what I meant.

I have an old square body Chevy with the old granny low 4 speed in it that I use every now and then when I need to move something heavy. I can't go anywhere in this thing without someone wanting to buy it. I was out the other day and of coures someone was looking it over and commented on the stick shift. "Modern day anti theft" I called it. Old guy, he just smiled and agreed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Walt G said:

John , I taught kids ages 5 to 12 for over 35 years art, 1,100 kids a week and even on Saturday classes as well in the winters. It is a big learning curve and awakening for all. John,  I was there once and probably so were you - someone had to tell us what the knobs coming out of the dashboard were for , what the grate in the floor of the car was for ( heater ) why the windshield wipers slow down or almost stop while accelerating up a long grade when they are on and it is raining and you need them - vacuum wipers. Huh?  whats a vacuum wiper....

It's a 50/50 effort.  The kid, regardless of age must also be ready to either experiment or problem-solve on their own.  The only way they'll figure out how to make purple, orange or green is to mix the three primary paint colors of red, yellow and blue without having to be shown how.  

When I was 5, my parents bought me a (real Made in England) Meccano set.  They could not pull me away from a friend's older brother's set when it was time for me to come home for lunch.  My mom said 'Don't ask for anything else for your 5th birthday, because your getting your own Meccano set!"

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

10 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

Cast of Characters:  Me, a fellow resident, and a 40-something woman guest...

How many of us here have relatives or wives

with many good qualities, but who do not share

our interest in old cars?  Here is a woman who

loves old cars!  What a treasure for someone in the hobby!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/18/2024 at 11:16 PM, oldcarfudd said:

Opening scene:  The other member has introduced the woman to me as a guy with a lot of old cars.

I can see that at some of the antique club chapters:

I have a couple of old cars. One is forty years old and the other is 60 years old.

A 1985 and a 1964? Those aren't old cars. That's just used car lot stuff. All over the mall parking lots.

I read that right here on the forum. And remember the avatar of the writer. I skip right past their comments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2024 at 8:36 AM, Walt G said:

I have seen people look at the column mounted shifter in a 1936-37 Cord and think it was an automatic  too.

An old long since passed friend told me his dad bought one of those for his mother to drive. He remembered riding in it in his teens. He said she hated that transmission.