Single digit mileage

8-Track

1990 Reatta, Delco ignition

I have no idea why, but my mileage is absolutely crap. I checked all the plugs, they look good. Tried 2 different sets of coils and ICMs, no change. She does idle a bit rough, but not horribly. 

I was thinking fuel injectors, but the plugs aren't fouled. 

Fueled up the other day, and was 9.9 MPGs. 

What are some issues that could cause that?

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Only thing that comes to mind to make mileage that bad is the engine isn't running on all cylinders. Could you possibly have gotten the spark plug wires crossed when swapping coils? 

Yeah, I triple checked them, and she doesn't seem to be missing at all

5 hours ago, 8-Track said:

1990 Reatta, Delco ignition

I have no idea why, but my mileage is absolutely crap. I checked all the plugs, they look good. Tried 2 different sets of coils and ICMs, no change. She does idle a bit rough, but not horribly. 

I was thinking fuel injectors, but the plugs aren't fouled. 

Fueled up the other day, and was 9.9 MPGs. 

What are some issues that could cause that?

A leaky gas tank.   That engine is a fuel miser.  I don't see how it could run using that much gas.

Ben

• Like 1

Did the ignition system get bolted down solidly? (This is from a previous post) Have you checked for spark at each coil output? It has been proven that the 3800 will run on only two cylinders. How old is the O2 sensor and does it work? Check the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator for any signs of fuel. A blown diaphragm will drink unmetered fuel. Lastly, have you checked fuel pressure? Not just the running pressure but also to see if it bleeds down rapidly possibly indicating a leaky injector, (among other things)

48 minutes ago, 2seater said:

Did the ignition system get bolted down solidly? (This is from a previous post) Have you checked for spark at each coil output? It has been proven that the 3800 will run on only two cylinders. How old is the O2 sensor and does it work? Check the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator for any signs of fuel. A blown diaphragm will drink unmetered fuel. Lastly, have you checked fuel pressure? Not just the running pressure but also to see if it bleeds down rapidly possibly indicating a leaky injector, (among other things)

Yeah, it's all bolted down now. I cleaned off everything for good electrical contacts, cleaned a bunch of grounds too.

No idea how old the O2 sensor is, I figured it would throw a CEL if it were that.

Ooohhh, I didn't think about the fuel pressure regulator, I'll look at that.

Wouldn't one of the plugs be super fouled if it were a leaky injector?

17 minutes ago, 8-Track said:

I figured it would throw a CEL if it were that.

Not necessarily - it could be 'lazy'...  As long as it outputs a voltage within the expected range the PCM won't set a fault code.  Check for vacuum leaks; the PCM could be trying to cover a lean condition caused by a vacuum leak.  Check at all of the hoses and try shooting some carburetor cleaner along the intake manifold gaskets (hint: is there evidence of any coolant seepage at the intake manifold/head interface?).

• Like 2

Well, got a fuel pressure tester. Read about 37-38 pounds consistently, didn't bleed off fast either, though isn't it supposed to be 40-50?

However, when I started spraying carb cleaner around, I got nothing

UNTIL I sprayed around the EGR valve, which instantly made the car stumble and stall.

So I'm gonna pick up some gaskets and see how that affects it.

• Like 1

Good suggestion on the knock sensor,  I had that problem when I drove my 91 to Allentown in 2016

When I got home and did some diagnostics,  the knock sensor showed up.   Went to the pick n pull and got 

several and the first one I tried fixed the problem./ 

14 hours ago, 8-Track said:

Well, got a fuel pressure tester. Read about 37-38 pounds consistently, didn't bleed off fast either, though isn't it supposed to be 40-50?

However, when I started spraying carb cleaner around, I got nothing

UNTIL I sprayed around the EGR valve, which instantly made the car stumble and stall.

So I'm gonna pick up some gaskets and see how that affects it.

That fuel pressure with engine running is normal. With the key on and the engine off, normal pressure is ~43.5psi It looks like all is normal there.

There are three independent solenoid valves in the EGR assembly. When you remove it to replace the gaskets, check that they all move freely, both open and close. They will be obvious when EGR is in hand: there are light coil springs around them. Malfunctioning EGR will cause a rough idle. It is not supposed to be operating at idle speed, only while underway.

Spraying around the EGR is also somewhat near the drivers rear corner of the intake manifold, possibly confusing the result.

Edited by 2seater (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Try using a Mighty-Vac to pull vacuum on the EGR port.  If it doesn't hold vacuum, then the diaphragm is bad and that will cause a lean condition.  While the valve is off, clean the pintle with carburetor cleaner and make sure it closes without sticking.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Well, it wasn't the EGR valve
Still stalls when I hit her with the carb cleaner, so it must be the lower gasket on that adapter plate to the intake
But I don't know what to look up to find the gasket. Anybody know what key words tricky phrases I need to search to find it?

Edit

Figured it out, actually had the gasket already

No vacuum leak at the EGR anymore, but she seems to run even worse

Edit 2:

My roommate found a slight vacuum leak in the hard vacuum line next to the upper motor mount. Could explain the hard shifting too, but it's not big enough to stall the engine this time

Edited by 8-Track (see edit history)

It seems the target keeps moving? Disconnect the harness plug from the MAF and see if it runs better. The O2 sensor is still an open question but mileage that poor and often black smoke at idle can be a MAF sensor defect. Won't necessarily set a code if it still works, but out of range. It is not unusual for the engine to stall if the MAF is connected/disconnected with the engine running, but it won't hurt anything.

• Like 1

Maybe the transmission shift modulator has an internal vacuum leak? it would cause hard shifting too. Usually some transmission fluid gets sucked up by the vacuum thru the shift modulator and gets burned in the engine. Might check the tranny fluid level.

• 5 weeks later...

Seems pretty basic, but how do you know your wires are still good?  I just tested my wires on an old Buick and found two of them bad, and the car still running, but rough.  I’ve even seen new wires fail right out of the box.