1970 Mercury Marauder X100 $3,000 Missouri

Marketplace - 1970 Mercury Marauder · X100 429 | Facebook

Real deal 1970 Marauder X100 with a 429-4. Title in hand. Car was parked because it overheated, assuming it needs a head gasket. Ignition is also worn out. Still cranks over by the solenoid. Was hit in the rear at some point. Other then that the car is in good shape, minimal rust, no other body damage, solid interior, and is 100% complete. One of 2646 X100s. Can definitely be put back on the road, would make a very cool cruiser. Can get more pics upon request and can help load it on your trailer

Product photo of 1970 Mercury Marauder · X100 429

• Like 1

From Wikipedia (not verified) - To offer a higher-performance version of the Marauder, Mercury introduced the Marauder X-100. While nearly all features of the X-100 were cosmetic, the Marauder X-100 offered a choice of twin comfort lounge seats, bench seat, or bucket seats with a floor console housing a U-shaped automatic transmission shift handle. The X-100 also featured Kelsey-Hayes road wheels along with rear fender skirts,[1] and was listed at US$4,074 ($32,511 in 2022 dollars [4]) selling 9,031 examples.[3]

Why is it a parts car, and what good would it do to part it out?  A person would have to be restoring a 69-70 X-100 to need the parts.  

As some know - I am actively looking for a project to do with a young man.  My 1981 Z28 purchase feel through when the seller backed out and decided to keep it.  

I can tell the crowd here that at least for what I am saving, a LOT of these cars are finding new buyers, new homes.  And I doubt they are all buying for parts.  Since very very few people are doing restorations.  Restomods are a different story.  

Less than a week ago I spotted a no title 1979 T Top Trans Am located in a field in Nebraska, for asking $4200.  I saved it on marketplace and it went in 7 hours, full price.  Not true for all cars and trucks, but projects with some value don't last long.  

This is a complete - looks like the Kelsey Hayes wheels are on there - high value full size muscle car.  Most of the black interior appears OK, clean, refoam the seats.  Pedals look good, body is straight.  

I'll bet you it sells before the weekend is over. 

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Only way to tell for sure is to go see what’s there. But based on the storage conditions and what I see in the pics that interior looks like it’s covered in mold. Maybe it’s just dust and dirt. I would also expect frame and floor rust. 

Some interesting stuff in that place. I am intrigued by the coupe in the background of pic 1 above. And I think that’s a Mustang convertible in front of the Mercury.

25 minutes ago, m-mman said:

To you? 
Go for it!

I am the ultimate procrastinator.  20-30 years ago I would have purchased it.  Now I pause.  For one thing, it's a nasty 5 1/2 hours one way from Johnston, Iowa to that town.  I went to trade school for automotive in 1996-1998 west of there in Linn, Missouri.   They had some fun junkyards around there we would play hokey on Friday afternoons and go check out.  

But no easy way there.  My search was focused more on 1970's Camaros and Firebirds especially after that seller backed out. 

Will there be rust to scrap off and cover in POR15 or whatever?  Yes.  Full pan replacement is unlikely and probably does render this a parts car, but I believe there are catalogs supporting the Ford XL's in the 60's and 70's, which is pretty much what this is. 

2 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Why is it a parts car, and what good would it do to part it out?  A person would have to be restoring a 69-70 X-100 to need the parts.  

As some know - I am actively looking for a project to do with a young man.  My 1981 Z28 purchase feel through when the seller backed out and decided to keep it.  

I can tell the crowd here that at least for what I am saving, a LOT of these cars are finding new buyers, new homes.  And I doubt they are all buying for parts.  Since very very few people are doing restorations.  Restomods are a different story.  

Less than a week ago I spotted a no title 1979 T Top Trans Am located in a field in Nebraska, for asking $4200.  I saved it on marketplace and it went in 7 hours, full price.  Not true for all cars and trucks, but projects with some value don't last long.  

This is a complete - looks like the Kelsey Hayes wheels are on there - high value full size muscle car.  Most of the black interior appears OK, clean, refoam the seats.  Pedals look good, body is straight.  

I'll bet you it sells before the weekend is over. 

An obscure (but cool and interesting) car that has open air outside storage on a dirt floor and by the way is BIG is not something you want to take on as project.   The reason it would make a good parts car is those x100 parts are tough to find.   You need to find a mustang or camaro for a project.  You can order the entire car from a catalog and they are not very big.  

• Like 4

In 1970 I had just returned to the states and saw one of those in black parked on the bar strip outside the Charleston Navy Base. It was equal the seeing my first all black Eldorado in Chicago by the Picasso statue square a couple years before.

Some of those moments are magical.

ULTP, Unintended Long Term Parking. It's a killer to a lot of the components of the car. As long as people keep presenting cars looking like that for sale I still have a chance for a few windfalls in flipping them.

i don't blame some buyers for turning up their noses at cars like this. Once you reach a certain level of age and experience, you don't want to get tied up with something that needs as much work as this. Dirty, it's been in poor storage, but at least it was under a roof! But the car looks straight, complete, and the interior looks really intact. Look at the door panels, seats and dash. Sure, it is dirty, the carpet will probably need to be replaced. Maybe the seats might need new upholstery, it all depends if it was infested by rodents.

But it is affordable and it's a big engined hardtop coupe. I'm also pretty much past the age where I want to get involved in a project that needs a lot of work. But there are still lots of buyers looking for opportunities like this. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

According to the Marti report the original buyer walked out on the deal.  

The “order type” is RETAIL.  This denotes a car that was specially ordered by a customer.  If the car was ordered by the dealer to sit on the lot and await a customer the Order Type is STOCK.  

So the order was sent to Ford November 13, 1969. 
The body was welded (bucked) November 25, actually built November 25 (typo in the Marti)

Released from the plant November 25 

But then it sat on the lot and wasn’t actually sold until March 5, 1970 about 4 months later. 
This typically indicates that whoever ordered the car refused delivery. 
It then sits on the lot waiting for someone else to take it home. 

The colors and equipment weren’t strange so it’s unlikely that the dealer was too worried about having it sit around.  But the dealer was paying flooring charges during that time.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Congratulations, Bryan!  You talk frequently about buying something and have finally pulled the trigger.  Ivy Green is one of the best FoMoCo colors of that era.  Best wishes on cleaning it up, getting it running properly, and doing whatever body and paint work is needed.

I'm glad that someone bought this car with the intent of saving it. These are pretty interesting and cool cars. I will admit that I like them BIG. Looking forward to seeing your progress. 

• Like 2