T-Birds a pair NOT MINE

2-1956 Ford T-bird rolling chassis and bodies one set up for 302 Ford one bare engine bay 7500 for pair will separate have titles

There are more pics in the ad.

Product photo of 1956 Ford Thunderbird

Product photo of 1956 Ford Thunderbird

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All 56 T-Birds had the continental spare tire.

It looks like these cars come from Washington state and the bodies look to be in pretty good shape. For that price in the east you would get one car with major rust problems. As “handyman” specials go, you are getting a lot for the money, and the parts to make them “whole” again are certainly available. Of course, if you have the money, buying a better car is the best way to go.

As for the price differential compared to the Corvette, the production figures tell the tale. Ford sold  15,631 1956 Thunderbirds and Chevrolet sold 3,467 1956 Corvettes.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird 

35 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

When I was a young teen, I had a thunderbird savings fund, I wanted a 57 red thunderbird.  As an adult, I realize I can't fit in one without a chiropractor.  🙂

A few years ago I was hired to ferry a bunch of cars to a Mecum auction and there was this 55 T-Bird on the list.

The car had a manual transmission and a soft top.

Its about thirty miles up to the site.

I got into one of these in a pouring rainstorm only to find that there was no way I could drive it. No room for my feet to work the pedals and no head room.

The car was not watertight and the defroster either didn't work or was to weak to clear the windshield.

Winched it onto the trailer for that trip.

Must have sold as it didn't come back.

I like these cars, but doubtful I could ever own one.

• Like 2

These cars are not designed for people that are tall and carry a lot of excess poundage around the middle. I have no trouble with mine and I am 6’2”. I have long legs and don’t carry a lot of excess weight. One thing the cars have going for them is a telescoping steering column. That allows me to shift the steering wheel back to give my legs the room they need to be comfortable. I should also point out this is a feature that the 56-57 Corvette does not have.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

23 hours ago, 1957Birdman said:

These cars are not designed for people that are tall and carry a lot of excess poundage around the middle. I have no trouble with mine and I am 6’2”. I have long legs and don’t carry a lot of excess weight. One thing the cars have going for them is a telescoping steering column. That allows me to shift the steering wheel back to give my legs the room they need to be comfortable. I should also point out this is a feature that the 56-57 Corvette does not have.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

I don't think I even tried to adjust the seat, not that big around, just didn't think it would be very comfortable for me to drive.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 8:12 PM, 5219 said:

I thought that all 1956 Thunderbirds had continental kits. Was I mistaken?

I thought so too. People used to complain about all that weight in the back

Another easy way to tell '56 from '55 T-Birds is that the '56 has a closable interior vent seen plainly on the side of each front fender (just ahead of the doors.) Since continental kits can be removed, that's usually what I look for.  There are probably other trim differences between the two years, but I don't know enough about 1st gen T-Birds to know what they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The other changes are mostly trim related, including substituting the Thunderbird emblem on the nose for the Ford crest and checkered flags of the 1955. One of the biggest changes is in the interior if the car has the original steering wheel. It was redesigned as a part of “Lifeguard Design” to be more forgiving in an accident. The seat upholstery pattern was also redesigned.

Lifeguard Design was implemented by Ford and advertised in all their car lines in 1956. They had done studies and worked with universities to figure out the main ways people were injured in highway crashes. Based on those studies they made a number of changes to their cars including better door latches, softer sun visors, changed steering wheel, and even seat belts (optional). It did not turn out to be a helpful idea for sales. People seemed to think they were saying the cars were unsafe. Some of the design changes persisted into the future, but Ford quit advertising Life Guard Design.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird (with Lifeguard Design)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1