Nailheads on the line

MrAG Riv

This picture popped up in my FB feed and is one I had never seen before. This is not my picture, I am only sharing because I thought it was cool view of 66 nailheads being born. 

IMG_6976.jpeg

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, MrAG Riv said:

This picture popped up in my FB feed and is one I had never seen before. This is not my picture, I am only sharing because I thought it was cool view of 66 nailheads being born. 

IMG_6976.jpeg

Or maybe dying off? Those red engines look like 430's. Might be an end of the year photo?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jframe said:

Or maybe dying off? Those red engines look like 430's. Might be an end of the year photo?

But I thought 1966 Nailheads were Red also? Or, would it be just 1966 Riviera Nailheads were Red when 401s for other 1966 Full Size BUICKs were BUICK Green?

Strange how those Red BBBs appear to have square-bore intakes?

I discovered a 1967 430 BBB power train at Desert Valley Auto on Monday. It could be a "Find" since all other engines there are cores, many "stuck":

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Aaron65 said:

I think those red engines are 340 four barrels. You can tell by the exhaust ports.

You are correct...they are red because they are the "high performance" version of that motor.

Notice the '66 only cast in lifting loop on the bellhousing of the 401's.

Tom Mooney

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

You are correct...they are red because they are the "high performance" version of that motor.

Notice the '66 only cast in lifting loop on the bellhousing of the 401's.

Tom Mooney

When I bought my '65 Skylark in 2003, it came with the original owner's manual. I was surprised to read that Buick labeled its 300 four barrel (the Wildcat 355) the "high-performance" engine. Coming from a childhood around Mustangs, "High-Performance" meant something like the K-Code solid-lifter 289 with some significant upgrades from the hydraulic-lifter 289. My Skylark certainly doesn't feel like it has a high-performance engine with its 2.78 factory axle and ST300, although it has some long legs; I tested it in my twenties before my frontal lobe was apparently fully developed. :)

• Haha 2

I am not familiar w the red engines. They are the color of '66s. Are they actually nailheads?  The rest of those down the line have the distinctive vertical valve covers & the blue-green paint of a '65 nailhead.

1 hour ago, RIVNIK said:

I am not familiar w the red engines. They are the color of '66s. Are they actually nailheads?  The rest of those down the line have the distinctive vertical valve covers & the blue-green paint of a '65 nailhead.

No, the red engines are small blocks (based on the 215 but cast in iron instead). For several years, the small block had valve covers that imitated the Nailhead's, even though the engine had little to nothing in common with it. What IS interesting about the picture is the valve covers on the 340s: I had thought the Nailhead-style valve covers had continued through '66, but this picture seems to refute that. The valve covers look like the '67-style to me. Interesting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aaron65 said:

I tested it in my twenties before my frontal lobe was apparently fully developed.

Women experts say that Lobe is not fully developed in men (boys) until age 25! 😝

• Haha 1

NOT just male frontal lobes, but ALL humans.  That's what "the science" states.  It was also mentioned as a probable reason that rental car companies don't like to rent to pre-25 year olds.  Usually, it's mentioned as the age range of 23-25 yrs old, from what I've seen.

NTX5467

• Like 1