Two Cosworth Vegas NOT MINE

Ad text:

Selling both of my Cosworth Vegas. Too many projects! one runs and drives and needs a complete restoration Low pressure and high pressure fuel pumps replaced last year. The other does not run but is complete. two truck loads of parts included as well including bumpers, fenders, door, rear hatch, bins of Cosworth engine parts and extra ECM, sensors, belts, headers etc. Will separate. I have the titles from the estate of the previous owner. One can be test driven but you must bring a trailer to get them home.

367443716_10233745302716565_396694237424

Product photo of 1975 Chevrolet Cosworth Vega

Product photo of 1975 Chevrolet Cosworth VegaProduct photo of 1975 Chevrolet Cosworth Vega

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

Beyond my skill level I am afraid.

Just copy the pictures and the description the same way you do the link. You are already 1/3 of the way there.

Ask your grandkids to show you. That's what I did. They may not be into cars, but you can bet they are into cell phones and computers.

• Haha 1

Cool little cars but high-strung as I recall. Here's two of the original 2061.

Considering both of the production 1975 Vega engines made less than 90hp, 110 is a pretty significant increase! I've seen some figures stating the road-going Cosworth engine produced 120 hp and a few high-compression racing versions (11.5:1, impossible to live with on 1975 unleaded gas😄) hit 270hp, albeit at nearly 9000 rpm.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

All that technology in the engine and it produced 110hp!   We've come a long way Baby! 

These engines have a lot of potential. The full race spec. versions had problems with cylinder distortion, but like rockettraider says a power output of at least 270 HP. Not bad at all for a N.A. 2 liter . Dial it back to 150 - 175 H.P. and they are wonderful. The Cosworth Ford 4 cyl. is even better either in 1.6 or 2.0 Liter form. But prices for those are $10,000.00 + these days. { just for the engine }

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Cool engines in a pretty crappy car that was far overpriced. These were almost in the Corvette price range when new and started having rust holes thru the tops of the front fenders after the 1st year.

• Like 2

In 1975 this was 100% a problem.

These days this looks like a great deal to me.

If they were Cosworth Sierra's ;  the next step in Cosworth's racer for the road development you would be looking at more like $40,000 - $50,000. Instead of Cosworth working their magic on the the Vega bottom end, the Sierra was based on a Ford Pinto short block. 

Is a Pinto based engine really worth 10 X or more what a Vega based engine is worth ?

Unfortunately too many projects already, but this package is seriously tempting!!!

• Like 2

I had a Vega. Bought it with a bad engine. I bought a kit and installed a Chevy small-block in it. I wanted it to be a sleeper so I kept it as stock looking as possible. The first time I drove it I hated it. It was like driving a tin can. I kept it for about a month after getting it in driving condition and traded it for a Monte Carlo. Below is a photo of it and my father taken on the day I traded it in.

ArnoldAndVega.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

I had a Vega. Bought it with a bad engine. I bought a kit and installed a Chevy small-block in it. I wanted it to be a sleeper so I kept it as stock looking as possible. The first time I drove it I hated it. It was like driving a tin can. I kept it for about a month after getting it in driving condition and traded it for a Monte Carlo. Below is a photo of it and my father taken on the day I traded it in.

ArnoldAndVega.jpg

I can't tell if he is happy you got rid of it, or unhappy you ever bought it. 

• Haha 1

While I am sure most new Vegas were junk, if a person were to restore one, it would likely be tighter than new.  These and Pintos, Mavericks, many other 70's cars seemed to suffer from poor build quality.   Yet it never ceases to amaze me how many cars were sold in the 1970's, Millions!  Very few cars are "rare" from the 70's.  

Looking at this ad specifically, I would buy the non running but complete one, but it always bothers me when I see these ads where 2 or more cars are being sold and they won't separate.  This ad does not specifically say he won't separate but it's implied and other ads I have seen clearly state that.  

Who has the ability to bring in 2 cars, in this case, from Washington state to Iowa?  ONE car would be $1400 transport fee, or over half the cost of the car.  Even going down to California it would likely be $700 transport.   

I'd love a Cosworth Vega to restore.  But you would be better off with a Triumph TR6, Datsun 240or 260Z, etc.  

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 7:41 AM, B Jake Moran said:

While I am sure most new Vegas were junk, if a person were to restore one, it would likely be tighter than new.  These and Pintos, Mavericks, many other 70's cars seemed to suffer from poor build quality.   Yet it never ceases to amaze me how many cars were sold in the 1970's, Millions!  Very few cars are "rare" from the 70's.  

Looking at this ad specifically, I would buy the non running but complete one, but it always bothers me when I see these ads where 2 or more cars are being sold and they won't separate.  This ad does not specifically say he won't separate but it's implied and other ads I have seen clearly state that.  

Who has the ability to bring in 2 cars, in this case, from Washington state to Iowa?  ONE car would be $1400 transport fee, or over half the cost of the car.  Even going down to California it would likely be $700 transport.   

I'd love a Cosworth Vega to restore.  But you would be better off with a Triumph TR6, Datsun 240or 260Z, etc.  

They are almost right next door to me, but I need another { two } project cars like I need a hole in my head. I like the engines a lot. The Vega's themselves only a little. I am a huge fan of everything Cosworth engineering related. But reality is that I already have a car that was from the factory Cosworth powered and I can't afford to return it to a Cosworth engine. It just has the production Ford engine in it now that the Cosworth was based on. It's a straight bolt in, nothing at all changed to switch back and forth.  { OK rad hoses, fuel lines, front 1/2 of the exhaust system and the engine sub harness }  Most of that came with the car and is boxed up in my crawl space. But not the main components of the engine itself.  Putting it back to Cosworth power would be at least a $10,000 move. So until it is time to sell my car I won't do it. Works just fine for my use with the base model engine. I would be far ahead of the game to forget about pleasant and interesting diversions like these Vega's and just start buying up Cosworth Ford engine parts.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)