Recognizing The Good Work Of A Forum Member

I just wanted to give a shout out to a member who goes above and beyond to help out fellow car collectors, both with advice as well as machine and fabrication work. My 1917 Maxwell suffered a failure of the fuel filter/shutoff. A local  Machine shop that does work for the local Air Force repair depot gave up on it after doing a less than great repair. Bhigdog answered my plea for help and completely rebuilt it to better than new specs AND provided custom made seals for future use. I had hunted for 3 years for this rare part and Bhigdog saved me by restoring an item no one else would touch. To show you his versatility I just asked his advice on creating a wooden shaft for 4-6 hundred year old  Samurai spear point I was restoring. Never missing a beat Bhigdog said send it to me. Did I mention he loves a challenge? Just got it back today and what was a very complicated internal relief job was handled with ease. It would make a Samurai proud to see this piece restored to it's former glory. 

Long story short the next time you have a problem don't hesitate to ask Bhigdog's advice I know you won't regret it.

Howard Dennis

• Like 39
  • Thanks 9

Bhigdog - I hope you are bracing for the inrush of challenges heading your way!

Nice that you get a pat on the back and some praise - mostly this is usually left unsaid. 

Steve

• Like 9

I met Bhigdog last year at the Macungie PA show. Nice to see he is recognized here. We had a great time chatting. Need to get together again sometime.

• Like 4

Few months after buying my first antique car, browsing on the internet, I discovered this AACA Forum. This great knowledge exchange community has been a fundamental source of information in the hobby for me, e naturally for many others. Since the year 2000, I have been learning a lot here, contributing where I can, sharing ideas and thoughts. I had a period away, so I lost my original user (marriage, new kids…), but came back happy to see the forum was very active and the community growing.

It is very important to recognize the help of the fellow members, as Bhigdog, for sure a reference for us. 

Over the years, this virtual exchange of experiences has transformed in real connections, when I was able to meet some forum members in flesh and blood in Hershey Fall Meet, or voices over the telephone, like Walt, Matt, Ed, Bill and many others, or even visiting Brazil! After that, the experience became even better!

Thanks a lot to AACA to keep this space open and running, very well administrated by Steve Moskowitz and team.
I believe this forum has been the most important worldwide contribution in knowledge sharing in the antique car space.

Thanks to all of you!

Edited by JRA (see edit history)
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, JRA said:

Thanks a lot to AACA to keep this space open and running, very well administrated by Steve Moskowitz and team.
I believe this forum has been the most important worldwide contribution in knowledge sharing in the antique car space.

Thanks to all of you!

Full agreement with this statement. I get more benefit from this online platform than my real-world club. Thanks to all participants and administrators /moderators who keep it ticking along nicely.
Steve

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2024 at 9:20 PM, hddennis said:

To show you his versatility I just asked his advice on creating a wooden shaft for 4-6 hundred year old  Samurai spear point I was restoring. Never missing a beat Bhigdog said send it to me. Did I mention he loves a challenge? Just got it back today and what was a very complicated internal relief job was handled with ease. It would make a Samurai proud to see this piece restored to it's former glory. 

Long story short the next time you have a problem don't hesitate to ask Bhigdog's advice I know you won't regret it.

Didn’t happen if no photos!

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 7:22 AM, Dandy Dave said:

I met Bhigdog last year at the Macungie PA show. Nice to see he is recognized here. We had a great time chatting. Need to get together again sometime.

Two of a kind (Bob & Dave).  We're lucky to have them here on this forum!  ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JRA said:

I am in complete agreement with this.  Knowledge not just in information on how to repair or evaluate a particular car or year, but in the facts ( most of the time there will always be those who guess what really happened) of what happened " in the day, era" they were designed and built.

I will also add my sincere gratitude and appreciation to Steve M. Peter, Mark, Tom and all the moderators and also all those at AACA HQ - thanks Jen, thanks Matt.

Many many clubs depend upon AACA for these forums to be known, it would be proper for them to acknowledge their thanks for the opportunity to do this.

For 25 years AACA has provided this service, these forums , show your appreciation - join AACA if you are not a member.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Resized_20231222_134301_6836.jpeg.2f96f6bddfe8f8c08670e3741309a4c6.jpegYariShirasaya3.jpg.dac8cd2da23c97e393b5f052e28c0ecd.jpg100_5826.JPG.172506ba7bdc929027829678b96afb7b.JPG1200px-Yari_kuchigane.jpg.bcf154f2317e0c9f587ab3176a9d8364.jpg

4 hours ago, yachtflame said:

Didn’t happen if no photos!

I wasn't going to post photos of the yari as at first glance it doesn't appear that impressive until you study what it intailed to accomplice. I was even more impressed this morning when I compared Bhigdogs work to another yari in my collection  that was done years ago in Japan. The Japanese mounted yari was accomplised by cutting a slot into the side of the shaft, appropiate material removed to allow the metal yari  tang to slide in sideways and then an almost invisible plug was fashioned to fill the wooden shaft encapsulating the blades tang. Somehow Bhigdog did it from the top! 

Howard Dennis

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)
  • Like 3

While looking for the yari pictures I stumbled across ones Bhigdog had sent me on his restoration of my butchered ultra rare Maxwell fuel filter/shutoff. I'd forgotten how many one of a kind tools he had to make to accompice the task. He removed the botched nipple soldered on the tank end, correctly resoldered it back on after creating a new seat. He reconfigured the needle valve to fit the new seat and manufactured new seals for the needle valve shaft. A lot of work on such a small part allowing me to retain factory originally on my Maxwell.

Howard Dennis

100_5617.JPG.6966fcc21edcb54d17ede7c578769207.JPG20210829_094322.jpg.0ad59f5df880f10208cc42533206c8fd.jpg.3ac81037f593e01b748924af5a60f9a6.jpg20210829_144649.jpg.ff85462a625e2465a336eba675f2413d.jpg.186abe3fcf9ad5d32f47a55cbeae2a15.jpg20210909_113021.jpg.93d6b3d273e3682a827d36c02bbec090.jpg.5baadfb9bf3d16a6b28a6a22444c70bb.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1